• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail website - how bad is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eezypeazy

When I visit www.nationalrail.co.uk and go to check live departures and arrivals and enter "York", I get this:

nationalrail.jpg

Just how ambiguous is one of the most famous railway stations in the world?

eezypeazy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
I believe it is designed to come up with any other stations with the term 'York' in them which could come in useful if you cannot remember the full name or spelling but remember it has a particular combination of letters in it. You may sometimes see the station name and think "oh yes, that'ds the one!".

What were the choices out of interest?
I've just tried it and the options are:

York
Bently (South Yorks) [to distinguish from Bently, Hampshire or Great Bently, Essex(?)]
Clapham (North Yorkshire) [to distinguish from Clapham Junction or Clapham High Street, London]
Swinton (Yorks) [to distinguish from Swinton, Greater Manchester]

CallySleeper

Established Member
You can now use the 3 letter station codes in the journey planner and in all of the live departure boards - I find that memorising the ones I use most often helps because it's quicker and prevents the system asking you to confirm it.

Tubetrack doesn't give you the choice of the 4 stations when you search for York - it automatically goes for the main station. But if you put in London or Birmingham, for example, it would give you all the stations for that city (Birmingham New Street, Snow Hill and Moor Street) and I suspect when given London it could very easily not just give you all the termini but also all the railway stations and possibly all the tube stations as well!

(York is YRK I believe)

Tom B

Established Member
Bently (South Yorks) [to distinguish from Bently, Hampshire or Great Bently, Essex(?)]

Isn't it amazing that NR know how to spell Bentley? One of the bus companies calls it "Bently" too, but the correct spelling has an E in it!

Tomnick

Established Member
Can't get National Rail to spell it 'Bently' myself! Entering Bentley gives the choice of Bentley, Bentley (South Yorks.) and Great Bentley, whereas entering Bently gives the same three (spelt correctly!) as well as Beauly and Huntly. Not quite like the village of Whittlesey, known (officially) to the railway as Whittlesea ;).

Jordy

Established Member

Tom B

Established Member
The full name of the place is, of course, Adwick-le-Dump :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.