National Railway Museum, York

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul Sidorczuk, 6 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Does anyone think that the exhibit changes over the last year have been for the better or the worst? I am thinking of the new art/poster gallery, the re-positioning of the royal carriages nearer to the restaurant and the re-arrangement of the artifacts in The Warehouse, in particular.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. valenta

valenta Established Member

I think that the art/poster exhibition is excellent. The information with the pictures are fascinating, especially on a subject which I had never researched.
    The movement of the royal carriage was a mistake, I though the old setup was excellent (i.e with the red carpet) and it was in an obvious place.
    Strangely enough my first visit to the warehouse was several weeks ago, so I can't comment on that.

4. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

I have seen the new art gallery, which was long overdue. (The original one went, with the cafe overlooking the ECML, when the area behind the main entrance was redone to provide 'corporate facilities' as part of the Main Hall rebuild around 1990.)
    I haven't seen the South Hall nor the Warehouse since they were rearranged, so can't comment.

5. Schnellzug

Schnellzug Established Member

i haven't been there since the days of GNER, but I was rather ambivalent about the big ideas that they were talking about, since that seemed to entail removing most of the actual locomotives and installing all sorts of exhibitions and interpretive this, that and the other, but I think they've scaled back on that now, haven't they. I suppose they've spent so much on certain locomotives* that they had to scale back on the Big Ideas.

* particularly ones numbered 4472

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.