• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National RMT Signaller's Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
RMT Union Quote

RMT calls strike dates at Network Rail over pay

BRITAIN’S biggest rail union RMT announced dates for one 24-hour strike and one 48-hour strike today after Network Rail refused to agree to a one-year pay deal.

RMT signaller members will be asked not to book on between noon on Friday 21 July 2006 and 11.59am on Saturday 22 July 2006. Also members not to book on between the hours of noon on Thursday 27 July 2006 and 11.59am on Saturday 29 July 2006.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said that the union remained available to resolve the issue but added that he could not understand the attitude of Network Rail in refusing to even consider a one-year deal.

"Network Rail has just agreed a one-year deal for over 15,000 infrastructure workers but is refusing to give 5,000 signallers the same - that does not make sense.

"The company is fixated with a 21-month deal but all it has to do is apply the figures in the offer relating to the first year and it will be acceptable to the union," he said.

Network Rail Quote

New Strike Dates Announced
The RMT trade union today (12/07/06) announced new dates for a national rail strike.

The first 24-hour stoppage will take place on Friday 21 July, starting at noon. The second stoppage for 48 hours will take place from noon on Thursday 27 July until noon Saturday 29 July.

In due course a strike timetable will be made available, and passengers will be able to access information through National Rail Enquiries, by calling 08457 48 49 50 and by logging on to www.nationalrail.co.uk. Network Rail will also work with the train operating companies to ensure as much information as possible can be made available at stations and on individual operator’s websites.

Network Rail has worked very hard to avert industrial action – negotiating over many months, making numerous compromises and offering a deal, which the RMT Executive described as ‘one of the best in the industry’.

Network Rail and the RMT’s Executive agreed a settlement on 14 June, which the Executive said it would recommend to its members. But, following a meeting of the RMT’s representatives, the Executive called a referendum on the offer, recommending that its members vote against it. Members voted by a narrow margin to reject the deal in a ballot that closed on 29 June.

Further informal talks yesterday (Tuesday 11 July) again ended without agreement. The company was unable to meet the union’s demand for a further substantial increase on top of the £2,500 per head raise already on offer. Today (Wednesday 12 July), the RMT announced new strike dates.

Background

The dispute is about the pay settlement for staff in Network Rail’s operations and customer services, projects and engineering and support functions. Network Rail is striving for a railway that is affordable to passengers and offers value for money to the British taxpayer.

Network Rail has been negotiating with the trades unions on this pay settlement since 13 February 2006.

A settlement was agreed with the RMT’s executive on 14 June, which included:
  • A rise of 3.2% backdated to April 2006
  • A rise of RPI + 0.75% from April 2007
  • An earlier introduction of the 35-hour working week half-way through year one
  • A significant increase in travel subsides
  • An increase in London allowances

The deal was hailed by the RMT Executive as ‘one of the best in the industry’ and one they would recommend to their members. But, following a meeting between the executive and the union’s representatives within Network Rail on 22 June, the executive ceased to support the deal and called a referendum recommending that RMT members vote to reject it. The result of the referendum was:

• 2,688 RMT members voted in the referendum out of a possible 4,800 – a turnout of 56%
  • Of those who voted, 1,496 (55.7%) voted to reject the offer and 1,190 (44.3%) voted to accept it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

• A rise of 3.2% backdated to April 2006
  • A rise of RPI + 0.75% from April 2007
  • An earlier introduction of the 35-hour working week half-way through year one
  • A significant increase in travel subsides
  • An increase in London allowances
Hmm... sounds good to me, I'd be happy with that!!

jonb

Established Member
Oh what thats the day me and my mates are meant to be coming home from Cornwall should be fun!

Coxster

Established Member
Just to summarise the dates and times:

• 24 HOUR STRIKE: Friday 21st July (12:00) - Saturday 22nd July (11:59)
  • 48 HOUR STRIKE: Thursday 27th July (12:00) - Saturday 29th July (11:59)

Nick W

Established Member
So are NR gonna do the best they can to signal with those not on strike?

Surely the money NR will have to pay out in compensation will exceed a years wages for all those on strike?

Coxster

Established Member
I've been reading the forum at RailChat and they say signalling will be carried out by the reamining signallers and Mobile Operation Managers. The strikes in 1994 apparently caused drivers to take it slow because they didn't know who was in the boxes and some of those in the boxes couldn't work the CSRs which made drivers feel uneasy. Will be interesating to see the strike timetables!

Chris

I'm not happy about this because myself and family are suppossed to being travelling overnight from Stirling to Euston on Friday and onwards to Kent on Saturday morning next week, for a wedding at 2pm. Will we be on time or even be there at all??

Mmmhhh! Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon and in the interests of all involved.

theblackwatch

Established Member
You must be booked on the same train as me Chris, I'm booked on the sleeper down from Falkirk to Euston on that Friday night. Bit shafted if it doesn't run....I also have a ticket to get me up to Scotland Friday morning and back from London Saturday night, which are no use if I can't get between the 2.

compsci

Looks like I'm going to enter the real world (full time work) with a bump then.

At least I can get into London in the morning, but I'd be pretty sure that the Uckfield branch (where I'm staying with Grandma for a few days) will be one of the first to go if there aren't enough staff to go around.

I'll be in New York by the time of the second strike.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:
Just to summarise the dates and times:
  • 24 HOUR STRIKE: Friday 21st July (12:00) - Saturday 22nd July (11:59)
  • 48 HOUR STRIKE: Thursday 27th July (12:00) - Saturday 29th July (11:59)

BALLS

That's when I booked for London Break. :(

As long as Network Rail are doing everything in their power to stop it......

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
As long as Network Rail are doing everything in their power to stop it......
I reaken that if it does go ahead they will do everything in their power to help. They have had more time to prepare for such strikes since the first proposed signallers strike was cancelled a few days/weeks back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
I've been reading the forum at RailChat and they say signalling will be carried out by the reamining signallers and Mobile Operation Managers. The strikes in 1994 apparently caused drivers to take it slow because they didn't know who was in the boxes and some of those in the boxes couldn't work the CSRs which made drivers feel uneasy. Will be interesating to see the strike timetables!
Nice excuse, I wonder if a driver on GNER knows exactly who all the dozens of signallers at the many signalling centres along the way is normally? I don't think so. It's a made up excuse designed to cause maximum delay to passengers :(

I can understand them being aprehensive if asked to pass a signal at danger (in which case they'd go slow anyway), but if following other aspects what can they moan about?

Imagine if everyone in the country could demand such pay rises and threaten to cause such disruption?

AlexS

Established Member
They do - firemen, coal miners, airport staff, anyone with a union really!

I'm led to believe this is due to Network Rail's refusal to establish the 35 hour working week they agreed to a year ago.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's interesting to see how the different TOCs are dealing with providing info on the strike on their websites. I've just had a trawl of a few:

Midland Mainline Excellent, full revised timetable up in the event of the strikes taking place, and clear details on ticket validity/refunds

Virgin Also has details on ticket validity/refunds, but no timetable info as yet.

First ScotRail, First Great Western, Northern All mention strike but further details to be advised

GNER Bottom of the class - does not even acknowledge the threat of strike action. The timetable for that day even claims "At this time there are no planned timetable alterations for this date. Please check again nearer to your travel date."

Table 52

Rather worryingly, MML have their last train leaving St Panc as 1600 in that timetable on Friday.

That's gotta be unfinished right?

TicketMan

AlexS said:
If I get close to their picket if my trains I need to catch are delayed/cancelled, I shall throw eggs at them for rejected a perfectly good deal.

In that case AlexS I hope you are never in a situation where you feel you have to strike.

All the signallers are asking is for a 1 year deal vice the 21 month deal that NR are offering - NR are refusing to discuss it - it's that simple as far as I can see.

As regards going slower by drivers, it is planned to open 'boxes with MOMs in charge. It takes months of training for a signaller to take charge - they plan to let MOMs loose with a few weeks at best - even if some of them are ex-signallers, thats still worrying to me.
The driver is the guy at the front - he's the one most at risk from dodgy signalling.

The world doesn't revolve around trainspotting chaps. One day you'll leave school and see what the real world is like.
TM

asopu10

I wish they'd just give them the damn pay deal, its not like they want much, and I need to get to London on the 21st, and work on the weekends!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
God that MML timetable looks very thin. There are no services out of Sheffield at decent times!

Guinness

Established Member
laverack222 said:
God that MML timetable looks very thin. There are no services out of Sheffield at decent times!

Better than no services on the day.

I thought Thatcher crushed all the unions.....

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chaz said:
Better than no services on the day.

Yes but Chiltern seem to be providing a far more comprehensive service.

Guinness

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Yes but Chiltern seem to be providing a far more comprehensive service.

I think it's down to how well a particular section or line is controlled by non RMT signallers. Hopefully the West Coast will have some sort of decent service.

Established Member
As is usual whenever industrial action takes place its always the Unions fault and the such like. It appears that no one in here has any idea about how industrial relations are done in this country let alone the railways.

Everyone has an opinion which is a good thing, however a lot of ill informed and anti union propaganda does no one any favours. For a start it makes me unpopular when i put my opinion down and some people even take offence at it. Why is it that every one belives the Propaganda put out by Network rail,
Yet belive the RMTs message is not to be belived? I dont know the answer to that one.

And something for ALEXS if you were to through eggs or anything at me you would find what a boot up the backside feels like, let alone have a criminal record. ABH i belive it would be for.

Keithy
[EDIT]
TicketMan said:
In that case AlexS I hope you are never in a situation where you feel you have to strike.

All the signallers are asking is for a 1 year deal vice the 21 month deal that NR are offering - NR are refusing to discuss it - it's that simple as far as I can see.

As regards going slower by drivers, it is planned to open 'boxes with MOMs in charge. It takes months of training for a signaller to take charge - they plan to let MOMs loose with a few weeks at best - even if some of them are ex-signallers, thats still worrying to me.
The driver is the guy at the front - he's the one most at risk from dodgy signalling.

The world doesn't revolve around trainspotting chaps. One day you'll leave school and see what the real world is like.
TM

I could not have put it better myself Mr Ticketman. Spot onand sorry CHAZ No thatcher didnt destroy the unions, she destroyed the country instead. Note how most of Thatchers children as it was termed then have turned out to be todays CHAVS.

keithy (again)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Interesting that some people are quite prepared to cause disruption to thousands of commuters on Friday and holidaymakers on Saturday, yet then expect those same people to support them - and get upset when they don't!

As most Chavs tend to be in their teens, I think they are Tony's children. Anyone who remembers Mrs T in power would have to be well in their 20s now - she departed back in 1990.

AlexS

Established Member
been there, left school, moved on to higher education.

There's 7 days in a week.

Striking on the one day in the week that is the first first day of the summer holidays and spoiling a bunch of little kiddies vacation shows to me nothing but the words ARS EHOLE.

There is a time and a place for all this action - it isn't on one of the hottest days of the year when a load of children who can't hit back are heading off on holiday.

My idea is to drag these signalmen off their pickets, and over onto the platforms to explain to a bunch of crying children why they are standing in 80-90 degree heat for possibly hours on end waiting for already inadequate rail services that are much reduced.

I've got absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever. Maybe striking days in this kind of circumstances should be cut out of holiday time for the year, much as these people who have potentially paid up months in advance will lose their holidays.

It's ironic considering signalmen are comparatively well off in terms of wages and working conditions, when you look at other compulsory elements of society that earn far less, work far longer and have no right to strike by law...

I'm all for industrial action if it's the only way, but not for some apparent political agenda, and not when it's designed to hit the management through those that can do nothing about it.
TicketMan said:

TM

Established Member
theblackwatch said:
Interesting that some people are quite prepared to cause disruption to thousands of commuters on Friday and holidaymakers on Saturday, yet then expect those same people to support them - and get upset when they don't!
Thats the thing though isnt it NO ONE likes strike action. I suppose by your reckoning then NO ONE should strike. Oh the poor commuters again do you mean the poor commuters who spit at you, swear at you,call you everything under the sun and think its ok to do so. When 99.9 times its not the member of staffs fault when things go wrong. Ive even known train (and i use the word losely) enthusiasts to do some of the above as well. I dont expect any support from the public purely and simply because the publics view can be like the railways in many ways 'UNRELIABLE' Actually i dont get upset either.

theblackwatch said:
As most Chavs tend to be in their teens, I think they are Tony's children. Anyone who remembers Mrs T in power would have to be well in their 20s now - she departed back in 1990.

Its good that you put 'most' instead of all, Chavs range in ages not just in teens and they wouldnt be Tonys children anyway because if they were teens above 16 years they would have been born under a....................thats right under thatcher. So they are in reality her children. Tonys oldest children (not his own blood) would be 8 to 9 years old at most.

TicketMan

Siggys are comparitively well off? B*ll*cks. It's a job where the tiniest of mistakes can land them in prison. You'd do well to remember that.

Nobody's holiday is going to be ruined. There is plenty of publicity about the strike, and the tocs will be obliged to provide replacement transport - people will simply have to allow more time for their journey thats all.

As for the poor commuters, balls to em. As Keith pointed out they are among the rudest, most obnoxious, arrogant people around - even worse than me.

Strike action is a last resort. Everyone loses out. If Network Rail weren't so stubborn, it wouldn't be happening.

For the record, I was planning a trip to London on Friday, then heading to Essex in the evening. Looks like I'll be heading straight to Essex so as not to have to endure buses. But the signallers have my full support - both as a person, a railwayman, and an RMT member. If I see any pickets I'll be shaking their hands for having the balls to stand up for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.