• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nationwide GSMR problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There is currently a nationwide GSMR outage by the look of things and it is affecting multiple routes. Various trains are being restricted to 100mph as a result. Drivers are reporting issues registering and setting up the system correctly in the cab. If it can't be fixed imminently, the speed restrictions are set to be even more severe.

An upgrade was taking place and may or may not be related.

A full explanation of GSM-R can be found here.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Without knowing any details at all, it sounds like a software update that failed and was then rolled back.

alf

On Moderation
These failures are worrying.

Sounds like another railway vulnerability to computer blackmailers from around the world or enemies in a future conflict.

Do NR take this into account when designing in this era of hacking?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
These failures are worrying.

Sounds like another railway vulnerability to computer blackmailers from around the world or enemies in a future conflict.

I'm confused why the failure of a software update suggests that the railway is vulnerable to cyber criminals or attacks?

najaB

Veteran Member
If there's no direct connection between the Internet and the underlying GSMR system then the risk of hacking is minimal. I would be *very* surprised if such a critical piece of infrastructure wasn't suitably air gapped.

Ken H

On Moderation
I would hope thay are using object control software. It will take the release and try and implement it. If it hits a problem, it will roll back the implementation it has already done. I imagine the implementation was scheduled for a quiet time, say 01:00, and was expected to take an hour. But if the implementation failed when it was nearly done, the roll back could take a while. Maybe as the railway got busier the objects could have started being locked by users, slowing the roll back.

Status
Not open for further replies.