• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NatWest Technical Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Anyone got any stories to share?

I just had a minor shock. For the past several years my salary has always entered in to my account at precisely 02:00 without fault - never ever have I received it at a different time. Logged on to Internet banking at 02:30 and it's not in there... <( <( <(

At the weekend I did warn my parents if I unexpectedly turned up on their doorstep one morning it means I haven't been paid and I need to be bailed out. :lol: Was just about to get ready to go and catch my parents before going to work to beg for some money. Just checked the account one more time and it entered 2 hours late at 04:00. First time that's happened!

Panic over! :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I have a Direct Debit of £20 due out on the 1st of every month, and decided to set £10 aside last week and £10 this week. However, I just happened to choose the day everything went wrong (Thursday), and did not even realise there was a problem until I set foot in the bank! Thus I set £20 aside last week and left myself short earlier this week as a result :roll: More importantly though, I had to put my card and the money through the little pull thing at the bottom of the cashier window to allow them to make the transaction the "old-fashioned way" (an exact quote)...

It came through on Sunday I believe. If anything I was surprised it went through that quickly!

GB

Established Member
I'm with Natwest and yes it was a big balls up and a big ball ache but I can't understand all these people that are claiming they are going to switch banks. A technical fault can hit any bank and I'd say the chances of it happening again to Natwest are quite low!

rail-britain

Established Member
Equally, sometimes there are localised issues which many customers will be unaware of
However, I had this several times with RBS and although they apologised they could not offer any solution or corrective action
I met up with the Branch Manager twice but nothing constructive ever came from it, so I downgraded the account and left 1p in it

The last farce was obtaining a draft, which was ordered on the Monday and would be collected on Wednesday
Walked into the branch on the Wednesday morning only to be told it was the Branch Managers day off, and they couldn't understand why they had agreed to provide one for that day
After nearly an hour they managed to process one for the next nearest branch, however they couldn't have it delivered and I had to go and collect it
Sufficed to say the Branch Manager apologised, and had completely forgotten it was their day off...

Simon11

Established Member
What I'm surprised by is the amount of people living pay check to paycheck.

Surely if you saved abit and for example kept a few k in your bank account, then things like this come along and you have no worries atall!

TGVDUDE

I was not able to make a transaction at co-op yesturday, so had to withdraw from the hole in the wall outside.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Simon11:1133425 said:

Surely if you saved abit and for example kept a few k in your bank account, then things like this come along and you have no worries atall!

...which is nigh-on impossible for some people, me included, having just started a full-time job a month ago and am waiting for my first full paycheck, of which I cant see myself able to save much sadly! :(

Butts

Veteran Member

Are you taking the p*** ;)

SS4

Established Member
I got paid on Wednesday the day before it all went to pot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I need to pop into Natwest today because I'm running low on pound coins again, hope it isn't rammed

Crossover

Established Member
I have a Natwest account - have had since they were doing the railcard on the student account. I'm on my last year of that now and was planning to close the account and just use the account I have with another bank. Since this has all happened though, I will probably keep the two, as at least I have a backup account in case something like this happens with one of the banks.

The thing that intrigues me is what forecourts would have done in this situation - I believe it is an offence to fill up knowing you have no means to pay, but (certainly to begin with) cards would have declined without any just reason for the card holder - they would have known they had funds and a valid card but the system was declining transactions.

As for delayed transactions, I was speaking to someone who said their standing orders left their account 4 days late this month - quite a backlog!

island

Veteran Member
Most garages have a policy/process to follow if the customer is not in a position to pay having filled up, they take name/address/reg number and you pay within 7 days (or whatever). Call it a UPPN/UPDN, if you like :)

richw

Veteran Member
Most garages have a policy/process to follow if the customer is not in a position to pay having filled up, they take name/address/reg number and you pay within 7 days (or whatever). Call it a UPPN/UPDN, if you like :)

I had an issue a few years back at tesco. filled my car with petrol, then went to pay to find my debit card not in my wallet. They said I had to prove identity or they would have called the police. As i had identity they filled in an invoice with 7 days to return and pay (fortunately the garage was at the end of my road). The invoice stated if not paid within 7 days it would be passed to a debt collection company, who would add admin fees etc on top of the original bill.
I returned within about 10 mins to settle the bill.
The tesco employee knew what he was doing perfectly, and I would say either very well trained, or used the forms regularly! probably the latter.

On the other hand, I watched a Shell garage "impound" a car until they received a payment, They made the bloke hand over his keys until the payment had been made. the bloke ended up calling his mum to pay by her debit card over the phone to the garage.

deltic1989

Established Member
I had an issue a few years back at tesco. filled my car with petrol, then went to pay to find my debit card not in my wallet. They said I had to prove identity or they would have called the police. As i had identity they filled in an invoice with 7 days to return and pay (fortunately the garage was at the end of my road). The invoice stated if not paid within 7 days it would be passed to a debt collection company, who would add admin fees etc on top of the original bill.
I returned within about 10 mins to settle the bill.
The tesco employee knew what he was doing perfectly, and I would say either very well trained, or used the forms regularly! probably the latter.

On the other hand, I watched a Shell garage "impound" a car until they received a payment, They made the bloke hand over his keys until the payment had been made. the bloke ended up calling his mum to pay by her debit card over the phone to the garage.

In some cases they will ask you to leave your Driving Licence or tax disc behind to ensure you return.

Unfortunately there is only a minority of the population able to do this.
Whilst most people would love to have a few grand laying around 'just in case' sadly for most this isnt the case.

richw

Veteran Member
In some cases they will ask you to leave your Driving Licence or tax disc behind to ensure you return.

They would happily be left my driving licence, however my tax disc, if they requested that I will call the police myself, as it is an offence not to display the tax disc in the car windscreen

causton

Established Member
They would happily be left my driving licence, however my tax disc, if they requested that I will call the police myself, as it is an offence not to display the tax disc in the car windscreen
Indeed, imagine worrying about that and then getting the police pull you over for not having a tax disc! I was going to say...

Established Member
Nat West have just shut two branches in Newcastle, which isn't exactly great.

I had a bank account with them for a year to pay rent. Didn't want to set up a DD so had to go to the bank each month to pay in the money and send it to the landlord. The abiding memory I have is that each time I went in there were more staff trying to get people to use the automatic paying in machines rather than the people sitting behind the desk, so the queue was always a mile long.

Status
Not open for further replies.