• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nearest EWS Depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Established Member
Hi everyone! *waves* :)

Regarding work experience, I need to know what my nearest EWS freight depot is... I live in Enfield Lock, would my nearest be Stratford Temple Mills?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Hasn't Temple Mills more or less been closed down?

Wembley is probably the next nearest.

Would be better to try for a TOC as frteight would require depot work etc whichcould be an issue with HSE and PTS.

Daniel

Established Member
Would be better to try for a TOC as frteight would require depot work etc whichcould be an issue with HSE and PTS.

Ive tried every TOC in london!

First Great Western rejected me this morning.
Southern have contacted me requestion more information, which was given, now they're like every other toc:

No reply!

Guinness

Established Member
Did you apply for anything specific such as "Depot Work" or just generally?

Daniel

Established Member
I have e-mailed, posted, and phoned.

When they phoned the first time, they told me to e-mail.
When I phoned a second time (due to no reply in 2 months from the letter), I didn't get called back.

Then don't even get me started on the bloomin' Work Experience organiser!

I got my work experience with Network Rail, they rejected me when I tried on my own, but when I got a friend who works for them to help me I got it

how suspicious...

Daniel

Established Member
Indeed.

I am 100% on my own applying for work experience, no help from school as I am going out of borough.
Its bad enough being repeatedly rejected, and then I get 2 people comeing on msn saying "so and so is getting me work experience on the railways!!" (not you, DS). 'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways, excluding depot work, which I do not want - (Have turned down Bounds Green and Oakwood)...

DescendingSadly, what part of Network Rail did you work on?

Dont give up Dan you will get a place keep pestering them like SWT apply to all the stations if u have yo

Coxster

Established Member
'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways, excluding depot work, which I do not want - (Have turned down Bounds Green and Oakwood)...
I was in exactly the same position with mine, minus the fact I had abosultely no contacts. You should count yourself lucky that you do have contacts who could get you somewhere, even if it is at depots. I don't see why you are complaining when you have turned down two railway offers! Maybe you should consider the fact that the buisnesses involved might not want a young person to deal with on top of their evceryday work.

Ive tried every TOC in london!

First Great Western rejected me this morning.
Southern have contacted me requestion more information, which was given, now they're like every other toc:

No reply!

I got accepted by VT (then turned them down)
and FSR (accepted them)

I go on the 15th January (like 2 weeks!)

Muppet

bloddy hell we only got one, FGW turned me down with out even a reply 7 months it were took the p**s

T

Tom

Indeed.

I am 100% on my own applying for work experience, no help from school as I am going out of borough.
Its bad enough being repeatedly rejected, and then I get 2 people comeing on msn saying "so and so is getting me work experience on the railways!!" (not you, DS). 'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways, excluding depot work, which I do not want - (Have turned down Bounds Green and Oakwood)...

DescendingSadly, what part of Network Rail did you work on?
Seth enjoyed his time at Northfields LUL depot and as a result is now working with LU on their apprenticeship scheme.

On a side note, I'm doing work experience myself in late June with South West Trains who approved me a few weeks ago.

class 313

Established Member
Atm Im working with EWS as they said that I might be able to go to Wembley! As I knew a driver he contacted EWS himself and asked for me ^^. Cant wait really specially as Wembley is soooo busy, really what you need is contact with a TOC or FOC member e.g. a driver. Then you have more of a chance of getting in, and its because of my photo site the driver got in contact!

RJ

Established Member
Why not have a look on Railchat - that's full of railwaymen who may be able to help. Failing that try getting into staff's good books by doing them favours - knowing those in the know enhances the hobby somewhat...

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I don't see why you are complaining when you have turned down two railway offers!

Exactly.
You had two perfectly good chances to get work experience and you turned them down so basically you can't complain as it is your own fault for not accepting them in the first place.

If it were me I would have accepted the first one offered.

Daniel

Established Member
Jamster and Coxster - I didn't really "turn down" either of them. They were offered on a list of placements through Enfield Council. I just didn't apply to them.

----------------

Its bad enough being repeatedly rejected, and then I get people coming on msn saying "so and so is getting me work experience on the railways!!" (not you, DS). 'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways

Atm Im working with EWS as they said that I might be able to go to Wembley! As I knew a driver he contacted EWS himself and asked for me ^^.

On a side note, I'm doing work experience myself in late June with South West Trains who approved me a few weeks ago.

Daniel

Established Member
A list of todays applications, (in person):

Shenfield - Placement form taken, return on Tuesday to speak to DSM.
Liverpool Street - Return on Tuesday to speak to DSM.
Startford - Return on Tuesday to speak to DSM.
Paddington - Recieved rejection letter from FGW this morning.
Reading - Placement form taken, but no position offered as yet - ive asked for further contact if anything comes up.
Kings Cross - Told to go away.
St. Pancras - Given contact number.
Euston - Given contact number.

Indeed.

Its bad enough being repeatedly rejected, and then I get 2 people comeing on msn saying "so and so is getting me work experience on the railways!!" (not you, DS). 'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways

At my school we were given the option of either the board placements or a private placements. (i picked a private due to me not wanting to work in a Hairdressers or lawyers etc)

I was on my own on finding a placement

Option 1: Virgin Trains @ GLC (i wrote to Tony Collins and got a reply from him saying that a girl in HR would get back to me which she did however i turned them down due to being offered a placement at FSR)

Option 2: First ScotRail (i wrote to the HR Director and got a responce TWO MONTHS later, she said that she had looked through all of my correspondance wirth the company and said that FSR would be delighted to take me on) PLUS they are very kindly paying my rail fare and my lunch!

So look at my case it can be done even if you dont know anybody within the industry

Guinness

Established Member
I got a placement with Virgin Trains as my mum's work college knew someone within Human Resources. :)

class 313

Established Member
Jamster and Coxster - I didn't really "turn down" either of them. They were offered on a list of placements through Enfield Council. I just didn't apply to them.

----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorex
Its bad enough being repeatedly rejected, and then I get people coming on msn saying "so and so is getting me work experience on the railways!!" (not you, DS). 'Tis rather annoying considering the fact that I know no-one who can get me it on the railways

Quote:
Originally Posted by class 313
Atm Im working with EWS as they said that I might be able to go to Wembley! As I knew a driver he contacted EWS himself and asked for me ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

Ermm I dont get why you posted that as neither me or Tom said we are getting you work experiance on the Railways, maybe you worded it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.