• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nearly had my bag nicked on a Merseyrail train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I know this sounds crazy but on a train, if I have to put something in the vestibule bin or use the nearest available toilet, I'll always take my valuables with me.

One example, on the 16:03 from Birmingham New Street to Leeds on Thursday 2 days ago (in Coach G on the 7-coach HST), the only thing I left was my green coat with nothing in mtb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
the pockets and my chocolate cookie on the table - didn't need to be weary as there was a friendly mother and daughter sat opposite me (my seat was G05 - there's was facing me not across me).

Master29

Established Member
You should report it (if you haven't). The trains have CCTV and they will find him. More than likely he gets the train frequently so it's only a matter of time before he turns up again.
Indeed. It`s likely he`s probably a regular judging by that particular excuse he was using.

duffield

Established Member
I know this sounds crazy but on a train, if I have to put something in the vestibule bin or use the nearest available toilet, I'll always take my valuables with me.

I just take my mobile and wallet. If someone wants my cheap rucksack, sandwich, book, spare underpants, cheap jacket etc. it's no big deal. And they'll probably get a nasty jab from my very-sharp nail scissors when searching the rucksack pockets.

Howardh

Established Member
This has given me an idea about how to get rid of household rubbish that won't go in the recycling bin. An unwanted rucsak that looks half-decent, a train ticket, a bit of a snooze on the train...sorted!

trainophile

Established Member
This has given me an idea about how to get rid of household rubbish that won't go in the recycling bin. An unwanted rucsak that looks half-decent, a train ticket, a bit of a snooze on the train...sorted!

Lol, you could save up all your sweaty socks and enjoy the thought of the culprit's reaction. Of course first you have to find a train that definitely has a light-fingered rogue on it!

farleigh

I just take my mobile and wallet. If someone wants my cheap rucksack, sandwich, book, spare underpants, cheap jacket etc. it's no big deal. And they'll probably get a nasty jab from my very-sharp nail scissors when searching the rucksack pockets.
Spare underpants for a train journey? Fair enough I suppose.

RichT54

One example, on the 16:03 from Birmingham New Street to Leeds on Thursday 2 days ago (in Coach G on the 7-coach HST), the only thing I left was my green coat with nothing in mtb

A few times on trains strangers have asked me to keep an eye on their belongings while they went to the loo, I guess I must look trustworthy! On the other hand, would you see that as "something suspicious" and report it?

trainophile

Established Member
A few times on trains strangers have asked me to keep an eye on their belongings while they went to the loo, I guess I must look trustworthy! On the other hand, would you see that as "something suspicious" and report it?

I think we need to keep a sense of perspective on this. Yes there's the odd rogue out there, but most people are honest. If you start suspecting little old ladies who pop to the loo it's verging on paranoia.

duffield

Established Member
Spare underpants for a train journey? Fair enough I suppose.

Might decide to stay overnight somewhere on the spur of the moment, or get stranded by some major rail issue. I wasn't a boy scout but I'm always prepared (teaspoon, plasters, pen and paper, painkillers, tissues, anti-acid, sunblock, mini-umbrella, etc. etc.). Sounds like a lot but actually weighs very little and takes up very little space.

Last edited:

3rd rail land

If I am away for long enough to need a mid size suitcase (so anything about a week or longer) and I am travelling on an intercity train I use the luggage racks provided. It nearly always means I can't see my case during the journey but it has never been stolen. Not much choice really as there is no where else to stow a case of that size.

I keep my valuables like phone, wallet, tablet etc on me. If I have my violin with me, I am an amateur musician and the violin is not easily replaceable and also quite valuable, I put it in the overhead racks. Ideally directly above my seat and if it is the see through racks then I can look up and see it throughout the journey.

trainophile

Established Member
If I am away for long enough to need a mid size suitcase (so anything about a week or longer) and I am travelling on an intercity train I use the luggage racks provided. It nearly always means I can't see my case during the journey but it has never been stolen. Not much choice really as there is no where else to stow a case of that size.

I keep my valuables like phone, wallet, tablet etc on me. If I have my violin with me, I am an amateur musician and the violin is not easily replaceable and also quite valuable, I put it in the overhead racks. Ideally directly above my seat and if it is the see through racks then I can look up and see it throughout the journey.

Isn't it annoying when the racks are not see through. You could easily leave something by accident, because you can't see it. It's asking for people to stand on the seat to check they haven't left something up there. Silly design.

mmh

Established Member
Isn't it annoying when the racks are not see through. You could easily leave something by accident, because you can't see it. It's asking for people to stand on the seat to check they haven't left something up there. Silly design.

In that situation, it makes no difference at all. If you leave something it's because you've forgotten it. If you're annoyed that you can't see it, you're actively aware of it so are less likely to forget it.

trainophile

Established Member
In that situation, it makes no difference at all. If you leave something it's because you've forgotten it. If you're annoyed that you can't see it, you're actively aware of it so are less likely to forget it.

I was thinking more of something falling out of a coat pocket when the coat has been put up there. You could easily lose a glove or something. You shouldn't have to empty your pockets before stowing your jacket.

mmh

Established Member

I wouldn't see it as suspicious at all, but I caused a stir for someone, probably about a decade ago now, who thought it was.

A very ahort journey, East Croydon to London Bridge. Shortly after getting on, everyone settled in seats, I went to the toilet leaving my bag on the seat. Returned to find someone stood staring at the bag with an audience.

I like to think I didn't swear when I told them to calm down as they chastised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.