• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nectar points at Virgin TVMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdickinson

The Virgin TVMs at Birmingham International are now offering Nectar points if you insert a Nectar card after payment. I'm not sure if they are offering this anywhere else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Virgin TVMs at Euston are doing the same, though seemed to be having teething issues as it wasnt recognising my Nectar card a couple of weeks ago!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Nectar points are pretty much worthless anyway so no great loss if you can't have it locally.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It started with the ones at Manchester Piccadilly (according to the nectar website) several months ago.

It offers you the points for it seems on Virgin's route only, although of course it doesn't make any difference who you travel with.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nectar points are pretty much worthless anyway so no great loss if you can't have it locally.

It really gets me when people say this. I guess most people must have money to throw around. I was taught from a young age, "look after the pennies ..." and it still holds true today. Yes, there are some better offers with Nectar if it's something you'd buy anyway, but the bottom line is that 500 points is worth £2.50 in quite a lot of stores. Sainsbury's is my local supermarket and we rarely have to pay anything for the big shop just before Christmas.

bicbasher

Established Member
Earning Nectar points recently in Sainsbury's has been ridiculously easy recently. There have been points boost promotions on a regular basis, so you don't need to spend £500 for £2.50 off. I have over £70 mainly from Sainsbury's, but also from Homebase and eBay.

RJ

Established Member

The worth is relative to how easy it is to earn the points. Shoppers at Sainsburys have been showered with bonus point coupons in recent weeks. I've had American Express throw £200 worth of points at me for very little too, which will be going towards an iPod purchase at Argos.

As it's easier to earn chunks of points nowadays, I'd say it is worthwhile collecting them on general spend too.

Yeah, what everyone else has said... "worthless" is subjective. It didn't feel worthless when we were able to treat ourselves to the new Guitar Hero Live, all on Nectar points, at Christmas time.

Save 'em up, get yourself something nice. :)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I was given 1000 points by TransPennine Express for nothing recently.
Th
I never get any nectar coupons for Sainsbury's now though. Do they post them or print them out in the shop?

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member

A year of saving up and taking advantage of bonuses and I suddenly had £45 off some flights on Expedia. That was 5 months ago and I'm already back up to over £20 in points to spend... "Worthless" indeed.

It's not exactly much hard work to swipe your card at the till, and store your Nectar card details in GWR's booking engine (or Expedia) for every time you book some tickets!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Exactly! I book a lot of tickets with GWR for the Nectar points, it all comes in handy for Frothmas. We had just 50p or so in points in January, my ticket purchasing has helped push that to around £7. Not bad for 3 months of fuel and rail tickets!

I also add the odd few when on a supply raid during a bash. 3 points for every meal deal from Sainsburys soon mounts up over a year, we usually have at least £20 worth of points by Frothmas which helps tremendously. If we did our shopping there as well (Tesco usually gets that) then we'd be weĺl away!

Worthless points my foot!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I was only trying to cheer the poor bloke up.

Look what I started.

The regular scheme is still poor value compared to other loyalty schemes, and there is no guarantee the bonus offers will last, but if anyone finds it useful, good on you. I have always been able to find better deals than whatever Nectar merchants offered, and to me, they will always be next to worthless.

I will now go hide in my cave for when the stones inevitably arrive. :p

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Each to their own eh? I've had a Nectar card for many years now, I preferred it back then as you got better points promotions more regularly, but hey ho. We used to fill it with points too at BP, but our local BP garages are all gone and have been for quite some time.

I meant to mention before, I like the sound of Nectar points at Virgin's TVMs, I simply must give that a go next time I'm on a day out in the Midlands!

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's OK anyway, no need to worry. If Gordon still wants to collect points on travel from MK, they can still do so by buying online from TransPennine Express or Hull Trains and collecting from any machine.

DeeGee

They're paying for my hotel for a long weekend in Tallinn in September.
They also paid for my hotel for a long weekend in Berlin two years ago.

Sainsbury's is my cheapest local filling station, if there's no price penalty I book my hotels through Expedia, Transpennine are my local TOC and I buy all my tickets online.

So without changing my shopping habits at all, I get given money. Any similar opportunity should be welcomed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So without changing my shopping habits at all, I get given money. Any similar opportunity should be welcomed.

Yeah I think plenty of people have made that point now.

They are worthless to me, and most people I know, to make it clear, which is what I probably should have said at the beginning.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Yeah I think plenty of people have made that point now.

They are worthless to me, and most people I know, to make it clear, which is what I probably should have said at the beginning.
They're pretty useless to me as well. I never shop at Sainsbury's - I have a Tesco Privilegecard after all - and the majority of my railway journeys are spontaneous, so you're not the only one here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.