• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[NEDZ ON TOUR] Lickey Linesiding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprog

Established Member
Hullo fellow NEDS! <D :lol: :lol:

Me and a certain character by the name of TicketMan have been out and about today 'Linesiding' on the Lickey Incline, between Bromsgrove and Barnt Green in Wocestershire!

Lickey is a 1 in 37, 2 1/2 miles of pure slog, the steepest sustained climb in the UK!! It has been notorious both through the Steam age, into deiselisation, and the 'modern' era, aswell as Privitiastion!

Heavy Steel/coal trains climbing the bank still require help from a 'banking' locomotive (today, this was 66055's duty)

Because me and TM where bored, free and we wanted to go somewhere 'differant', after a short brainstorming session we came up with Lickey, because.....

1) ....its pretty local 2 both of us, and 2), cus we wanted to do a 'reccy' mission to see what locations/oppertunites/vantage points there were, so we know exactly where 2 go in the summer! And find them we did! After meeting up at Wocester Foregate Street and jumpng on a Cretin 170 to Bromsgrove, we did abit of amatuer map reading and found our way to two perfect 'lineside' spots. One of which being the very popular, yet slightly isolated 'Vigo foot-crossing' about 3/4 up the incline. The 2nd location was about 1/2 way down the incline, closer 2 Bromsgroove!

Both had their advantages/disadvantages, and even though the light was a litte bad at times and the weather..well..pretty ****e really :lol:. we had a great day and took some great pics, even though we pretty mush got soaking wet and harassed by a strange, neddish-type gent at Bromsgrove! (it was hilarious, this guy was jabbering on about the 'old days' and then me and TM made a convieniant excuse 2 leave quickly ;) ) Excellent plan you may think, BUT, you shoullda seen the fear in TM's eyes when the guy decided he'd follow us :shock: :shock: :shock: . Luckily, it was short lived, and he soon had 2 go in the opposite direction to us, much to our relief! :lol: :lol:

A few suprises! 31602 and 31190 light-loco 'up' the bank (buggers came up as we where 'between' locations - hecne my crap picture!), DRS 20305 and 37605 on 6M56 flask (early!) and then 31602 back 'down' light loco later on!!

Here are a few tasters, the rest will be on my fotopic site after i have re-developed it, and im sure TM will get around to putting up his shots eventually! :roll: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

66120Bromsgroove.jpg

221LickeyBank.jpg

3160231190LickeyBank.jpg

150022LickeyBank.jpg

66123LickeyBank.jpg

3760520305LickeyBank.jpg

TMSHEDNEDLickeyBank.jpg

DIRTY, DIRTY SHED NED!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

31602LickeyBank.jpg

170504LickeyBank.jpg

66055Bromsgroove.jpg

Hope you like them! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Dirty, dirty shed ned...Loving that caption!

Sounds like a good day, I need to get myself to one of those spots when the HSTs come flying down/storming up Lickey!

66055 STILL on banker duties? It's always on that duty, every time I go that way!

Good shots there Sprog.

Sprog

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
It's Bromsgrove ;) Not Bromsgroove :lol:

Whoops! Corrected what i can :eek: :oops:

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Julian, me and TM are gonna arrange a proper Lickey meet in the summer.

He's gonna get all the TRUST/TOPS timings for Bromsgrove ;))) and we are gonna head up there for sunrise, so we can phot all the early morning freights etc.

The bank is orinetated perfectly geographically, so that when the Sun rises in the East, it will illuminate the sides of the trains climbing the bank, hopefully making for brilliant shots. In the sunny wether, it should be amazing, especially with 60s, 66s, 37s/20s, Summer Saturday HSTs and anyother special stuff etc climbing the banks. As mentined, yesterday was abit of a 'reccy' mission 2 allow us to get our bearings. We now know exactly where 2 go for both locations now so we can guide whoever esle comes with us next time!

The offers there mate........! :) Its also ideally sutuated for a few of the people i have in mind, as its pretty local!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
mmm, nice! Would be difficult, but far from impossible, for me to get to Bromsgrove by sunrise, but I'll be damned if I can't get there! Might require a lift from Bristol Parkway or something, but we can sort that out nearer the time.

Sprog

Established Member
You could always kip at my place buddy!

Im sure we will meet before the Lickey meet anyway, so thats summint we can sort in the future! :)

In addition to above, heres a few night-shots at Gloucester.

I had 43004 from Wocester Shrub Hill to Gloucester. Lovely ride it was too! Heads out all the way :p :headbang: Then a Scud/158 formation back to Yate!

Glocester yard contained the usual CR suspects - 47200 and 316 - including 2 ex-MML Mk.3s, CRs 43157 and 43193 hidden around the back of the carraige sidingsm ONE 47818 & Anglia 47714 that had being doing Stock movements from Bescot to Long Marston during the day! Aswell as silver 47033 and stored 'Dutch' 31206 on the Horton Road site.

43004Gloucester.jpg

43004Gloucester2.jpg

47818GloucesterYard.jpg

GloucesterYard.jpg

153305Gloucester.jpg

:D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds good Sprog, will arrange to meet at Gloucester, Yate, Bristol, wherever is convienent soon-ish!

S**T HOT SHOTS! Jealous you got H-O around Abbotswood Curve and saw 47818, two things I want, but meh, I'll hopefully get a Valenta around that soon enough. And 47818 can't hide from me forever!

Dennis

Established Member
great stuff :)

Been thinking of visiting that area somewhen myself. The 20/37 looked like they were working quite hard; must have been a fantastic sound.

Sprog

Established Member
Dennis said:
great stuff :)

Been thinking of visiting that area somewhen myself. The 20/37 looked like they were working quite hard; must have been a fantastic sound.

Thanks dude!

They where indeed! :D

I videod them aswell (hence why the shots taken from a distance)

The videos been u/loaded 2 google and approved..imm just waiting 4 it 2 go 'live'. Should be up shortly...................

They where being signal checked, following a 170 that had stopped at Bromsgrove and the signal stepped up as they where climbing, so it was full throttle all the way up!

Becasue the light was so poor, i didnt want 2 risk fecking-up a closer shot, and as they where making so much noise, i decided to video them :D Also, as you will see in the vid, i got a drop of rain on my lense, which would have really screwed a still shot up! :| :(

It payed off! Ill get sum stills of Nuke trains climbing Lickey on our next trip, when the light improves , the suns out and its not pi$$ing down with rain!

Edited (by doublepost prevention system):

Video is up! :D:D:D

ENJOY!
icon_hellfire.gif
HellFireicon.png

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5073667772076174617&pl=true

Also, two others from yesterday:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3521134122464841100&q=Tom+Hampson&pl=true

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2069124236405378800&q=Tom+Hampson&pl=true

Ta...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.