Need a Career change, can you help guide me ?

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by dsbansal, 8 Dec 2019.

1. dsbansal

dsbansal New Member

Hello guys, I have been working in Construction for the past 10 years. I am now looking for a chnage and the Railway is where my heart has always been at. Can you advice me on what to do ? I am from Birmingham. Thank you

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. JAMES BENGE

JAMES BENGE Member

Keep looking, never give up, apply and learn patience.

4. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Depends what you want to do within the railway. There’s so many avenues you could pursue. It’s a competitive industry to get in to so be prepared for knockbacks at all stages of the process and just don’t give up.

5. dsbansal

dsbansal New Member

I am currently studying part time, I worked a Gateman and a CCTV Operator so ideally as a PTS Track Operative. How do I find a sponsor ?

6. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

Have you considered TOC CCTV operative ?

7. dsbansal

dsbansal New Member

I did as my supervisor mentioned it as his mate does it but I am looking for something that gets me out of an office out on the tracks and working. So PTS operative is what I am looking to get into. Any advice on it would be great.

8. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

You're right in that you need a sponsor. I'm TOC side so that's about the extent of my knowledge. I believe that there are specific agencies for track work and that you need to earn 'tickets' which are basically competency requirements for each role.

This link may be of some small help :

https://info.railsentinel.co.uk/

Hopefully it will put you on the path. Sorry I can't help further but I'm sure others can.

Good luck with it.

9. dsbansal

dsbansal New Member

thank you

10. Groindz

Groindz New Member

I work for a TOC now but I previously worked for an agency doing track maintenance work which required a PTS. I'd suggest you look on the Network rail website and check for vacancies, they might prefer someone with a bit of experience and with a PTS but its worth a try. The reason I say to try and get NWR job is because agency work can be unpredictable and you might not always get work because it's mostly always a zero hour contract. I was fortunate enough to get regular work but I know for a fact that some people only got 2 or 3 days a week.
    The other option would be to get in touch with a local agency and tell them you're interested in working and perhaps they'll put you on some courses. If you have more questions then I'll try to answer them