• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Need help for my journey on the 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemmy

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong section but I'd like to ask you guys if you could give me some help with my journey from Motherwell to Scarborough on the 24th of this month.

I booked my Two Adult Advanced return tickets from East Cost a while ago, they're from Motherwell to Scarborough with one change at York. I've got them and I'd just like to ask how do I use them or present them to the ticket guy on the trains.

There's 8 tickets here plus a white receipt ticket. There's 4 tickets with valid only with reservations printed on the top and the other four state they're only vaild with ticket "insert number here" So on the train from Motherwell to York on the morning, how would I go about showing the ticket guy these for insepction? Which tickets should I show him?

Also my second question is for directions when I get to York Station. My train from Motherwell arrives on Platform 4, and the train to scarborough Departs on platform 5 13 minutes after the train from motherwell arrives? Will I be able to make it on time? Which route in the station should I take?

Also I've used http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/ to check what platforms the trains will be arriving on, does anyone have any idea on how much of a reliable source this is?

Thank you, and I'm sorry again for asking such beginner questions and I'm sorry if this in the wrong section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/YRK/plan.html

Here is a station plan of York station. You could take the subway to platform 5. You will easily be able to make your way across in 13 minutes.

The site is reliable 99.9% of the time but platform changes could occur. I assume your train is an East coast train so it will probably arrive in platform 4.

Keep your tickets together, did you get a holder when you collected the tickets? If you did, keep the tickets in the holder, if not just keep them together. Only take them out when the guard requests them. Just give the guard all the tickets and he will sort them out. Make sure you keep your "out" tickets until you are out of scarborough station.

I hope this helps and enjoy your trip to Scarborugh ;)

NSE

Established Member
To be fair, guards are pretty helpful, and I've seen them been presented with a handful of advance tickes by a confused customer. Not only did the guard find the one he needed, but he explained and put them into a logical order for the customer.
So while it may look confusing, the guard will always help you out :)

Nemmy

Thanks a lot guys, really have eased away my worries.

And thank you ATWalex101, I will be sure to enjoy my trip :), just need the weather to be decent now!

Established Member
You're East Coast service from Motherwell will definitely not be arriving at platform 4 at York, as this platform is only used for the services arriving from Scarborough (and you can't actually reach platform 4 from the north anyway). I'm assuming that your service from Motherwell is the 07.04 - this is booked to arrive into platform 5.

There are only three platforms which can reach the Scarborough line at York - platforms 3, 4 and 5. The majority of times the service from Liverpool to Scarborough go from platform 5, so in this case you'll be on the same platform, so no having to use the subway or footbridge. However as always, if there is disruption, platforms can change at short notice. There are normally a lot of East Coast staff on hand at York, so if this does happen either look at the departure boards and signs, or just ask a member of staff.

Mr Spock

The platforms have been transposed in the OP as NRE says that the train from Motherwell arrives on Platform 5 and the Scarborough train departs from Platform 4.

Established Member
Better safe than sorry - York is one of those stations where people seem to get easily confused due to platform 3 and 4 essentially being one, long platform.

Nemmy

Er I'd just like to ask one question though, 142 you said about how the motherwell train and the scarborough train will be both be arriving on the same platform, but on the map layout of the train station they're both across from each other, can someone be nice enough to like point out or draw some arrows to what track each train will be on please? :D Thank you so much

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to Open Train Times the service from Motherwell is booked to arrive on platform five (you can see that here) whilst the 1041 to Scarborough (which I assume is your train) is also due to depart from platform five (as seen here), therefore in theory you shouldn't have to change platforms at all. Now obviously if there is disruption there's a chance that platforms will change, however, I wouldn't worry too much. York is fairly easy to navigate around, there are plenty of screens and perhaps more importantly staff to consult if you're unsure.

If everything runs to time then you have more than enough time to make your connection even if you have to change platform for some reason.

Edit: Also I've just gone and checked NRE and that agrees with Open Train Times that both trains will be using the same platforms. Are you sure your read the platforms right when you first checked ;)

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's 4 tickets with valid only with reservations printed on the top
These are you actual tickets- two will be FROM Motherwell TO Scarborough, the other two will be FROM Scarborough TO Motherwell. It will say this on the tickets. You need to show the guard(s) the former pair on the way out out, and the latter pair on the way back.
and the other four state they're only vaild with ticket "insert number here" So on the train from Motherwell to York on the morning, how would I go about showing the ticket guy these for insepction?

These are the seat rservation coupons. Again, two for the way out (FROM Motherwell TO York) and two for the way back. On the train, hand the guard the tickets and seat reservation coupons for that journey- and on the train from York to Scarborough, you only need to hand the guard the tickets. However, most guards will cope cheerfully if you hand them all eight bits of card!

asylumxl

Established Member
Whenever I have a plethoria of tickets I always put them in the order I'll need. The first tickets you will need will be outbound tickets and reservations.

The actual ticket will say "SGL" on the right hand side in bold letters, and "Advance" on the left hand side. Obviously it will say Motherwell as the origin and Scarborough as the destination. Behind them I'd do the same but in reverse order. Anything else will probably be a collection receipt and marked "Not for travel".

That way when you finish your outbound journey, you can just move them to the back and you'll be ready for the return journey.

I'm sure you've probably figured that out anyway, but I thought I'd say it anyway. Works best for me!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just give the guard all the tickets and he will sort them out.

I am a guard, I used to quite happily do this as I am quite a helpful chap :) However I feel if you spoon feed passengers then they do not learn for future trips. So I now blindfold the passenger - shuffle all the tickets (& very sneakily add a few used tickets that I have picked up from the floor), then request that the passenger put them in order on the table - in the shortest time possible <D

...........and enjoy your trip to Scarborough ;)

I second that! I hope you worked out I was joking above. My advice is that you keep all tickets together - never throw anything away until you are back home at Motherwell! I have always had good experiences with the EC guards from Glasgow and if you ask they will sort out your tickets in order for you (I'm sure without blindfolds too!)

Scarborough is a lovely part of the world - if you can get the time Whitby just up the coast is worth a visit - the North Yorkshire Moor Railway is also close at Pickering.

Last edited:

Established Member
Er I'd just like to ask one question though, 142 you said about how the motherwell train and the scarborough train will be both be arriving on the same platform, but on the map layout of the train station they're both across from each other, can someone be nice enough to like point out or draw some arrows to what track each train will be on please? :D Thank you so much

Not sure what you mean/trying to ask? Basically when you get off the train from Motherwell just wait on the same platform and the Scarborough train will come into that one, so no need to have to go over the footrbridge etc.

Even if your train from Motherwell doesn't go into platform 5 for whatever reason (delays etc), your Scarborough service is 99% guaranteed to go from platform 5. In 3 years of living in York I only saw it go from a different platform once, and that was due to severe disruption.

Also, don't be frightened to ask staff, that is what they are there for! They'll be able to show you where to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.