• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Need to reserve seat on Virgin Euston - Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I will be travelling from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly on Saturday returning Sunday in 1st class. I need the flexibility of an off peak ticket but I am not sure how busy the train will be? I have travelled during the week before and had the whole carriage to myself but maybe i just got lucky!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
You'll be fine - don't worry bout reservation.

Remember don't buy a First Class off-peak return; buy a Standard and upgrade for £15 each way - it'll save you shedloads!!

pemma

Veteran Member
First Class is rarely full on Manchester-London's and standard class is fairly empty outside of the peak times (the off-peak trains just after the end of peak periods can get busy.)

When I did Stockport-London on a Saturday travelling southbound the carriage I was travelling in didn't have more than about 20 people in it at any time. Northbound it wasn't more than about 7 people.

GodAtum

On Moderation
You'll be fine - don't worry bout reservation.

Remember don't buy a First Class off-peak return; buy a Standard and upgrade for £15 each way - it'll save you shedloads!!

The Virgin Trains website includes the discounted 1st class fare anyway (£21.85 for standard, £36.85 for 1st).

Are there any cheaper tickets available via another route or split tickets?

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
A split at Stoke saves a few bob, but not worth it with the two first class upgrades to factor in. Of course you could just buy the split standard tickets and upgrade the portion that the TM checks, as I doubt they'll remember. They will probably get round to you before Stoke though; they tend to be more active at weekends as it earns them extra pennies.

I wouldn't bother though - it's only three quid or thereabout. And if the TM does remember you, its £15 extra!!

GodAtum

On Moderation
Now I'm confused. An off-peak open return on 1st is £58.60 compared with an outward and return off-peak single at £78.70!

John @ home

Established Member
Now I'm confused. An off-peak open return on 1st is £58.60 compared with an outward and return off-peak single at £78.70!
These don't sound like 'open', ie. flexible, fares to me. The fares I can find are:
LONDON EUSTON - MANCHESTER STNS flexible fares said:
route Any Permitted
First Class Anytime Single (FOS) £199.50 valid any train on date shown on ticket.
First Class Anytime Return (FOR) £399.00 outward: valid any train for 5 days, return: valid any train for one month.
Standard Anytime Single (SOS) £131.00 valid any train on date shown on ticket.
Standard Anytime Return (SOR) £262.00 outward: valid any train for 5 days, return: valid any train for one month.
Standard Off-Peak Single (SVS) £65.20 valid on date shown on ticket. Time restrictions apply Monday - Friday, valid any train on Saturday or Sunday.
Standard Off-Peak Return (SVR) £66.20 outward: valid on date shown on ticket, return: valid one month. Time restrictions apply Monday - Friday, valid any train on Saturday or Sunday.

GodAtum

On Moderation
How strange, on the Virgin website I have choosen these options:

booking.jpg

and got these prices:

prices.jpg

The Off-peak return description says:

VALIDITY

Your outward journey must be on off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on off-peak trains within one calendar month. Off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

janb

GodAtum, the Virgin website, takes the Off Peak Return £43.70 and adds on the £15 FC upgrade (on outward leg) to create the mythical beast of a First Off Peak Return.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Does that mean it is flexible, can I take any Virgin train on Saturday and return on any Virgin train on Sunday?

John @ home

Established Member
Does that mean it is flexible, can I take any Virgin train on Saturday and return on any Virgin train on Sunday?
Yes. You will have a reserved seat on one train but you can use the upgrade ticket to travel (without reservation) on any other Virgin train that day.
Virgin Weekend Upgrade said:
Valid on any Virgin Trains services ONLY.
Virgin Weekend Upgrades are available to customers travelling on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays, and allow customers to travel in First Class accommodation on Virgin Trains services, and receive the full complimentary on-board service offer.

Prices:
Virgin Weekend Upgrade costs £15 regardless of the journey being made.

Availability:
Upgrades can be purchased in advance or on the day of travel.

Reservations:
When issued in advance, seat reservations must be made. However, if a customer misses the reserved train, s/he may complete the same journey on another Virgin Trains service without further charge; note that seats cannot be guaranteed without a reservation.
The fares in my post #7 did not include any Railcard discount - you didn't mention you held a Railcard.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Yes. You will have a reserved seat on one train but you can use the upgrade ticket to travel (without reservation) on any other Virgin train that day.The fares in my post #7 did not include any Railcard discount - you didn't mention you held a Railcard.

Many thanks for your advice. Oops sorry :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.