• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Need to travel from Bicester to Aberdeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochootrain

On Moderation
Hello, I've been placed on secondment within the NHS for a period of four weeks so I need to travel from Bicester to Aberdeen on Sunday. Is such a trip even possible by train these days? I can drive but don't own a car so it's either down to hiring a car or risking the train. What would be the best option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'm sure the experts will be here soon to give you the official version. National Rail suggests you can do it by going via London (over 9 hours journey) and it costs near on £200. Don't take my advice as the best though. As I say, the experts will help you more.

Hello, I've been placed on secondment within the NHS for a period of four weeks so I need to travel from Bicester to Aberdeen on Sunday. Is such a trip even possible by train these days? I can drive but don't own a car so it's either down to hiring a car or risking the train. What would be the best option?
Hi there, for sure - yes. It is possible.

You can travel via Birmingham Moor Street / transfer / New Street (Chiltern is running) then take the XC to Aberdeen (change at Edinburgh May be required).

Or I suspect it could be slightly more pleasant and safer to travel via London King's Cross. Direct services are in the system for 1000 and 1400.

Best to check nre.co.uk and the individual TOC websites to check ticket pricing and availability though.

And thank you.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd travel via London and go from Kings Cross. Trainsplit currently selling Bicester North - Aberdeen dep. 10:00 arrive Aberdeen 19:42 for £126.29 via Marylbone, Kings Cross and Edinburgh.

When are you returning as a return ticket might work out cheaper overall?

Can I just chime in again and say that I'm not 100% sure that LNER have confirmed their Sunday timetable for the 24th (this Sunday) yet....
Perhaps someone could take a quick look at let me know if I am mis-interpriting what I am seeing?

Porty

If you choose to travel via London and Edinburgh you must book your seat. Though technically there is no actual seat reservation, its just that they are capacity controlling the number of passengers to ensure social distancing. Not sure whether this is done automatically if booking advance tickets. There's more info on the LNER website or app.

Looks like the 1400 from King's Cross arrives Aberdeen at 2110 though websites are a bit unclear. Perhaps others can help. I have at the back of my mind that LNER aren't running north of Edinburgh so it might mean a change to Scotrail. Check carefully if there is a connection from that train if it terminates in Edinburgh. Otherwise travel a bit earlier to get a Scotrail connection.

There's always the Citylink coach from Edinburgh at 1650 with a change at Perth P&R in under 4 hours. This is a pretty good service - book in advance if you want to use it. Also available direct from Glasgow to Aberdeen if you decide to travel via Glasgow.

Looks like the 1400 from King's Cross arrives Aberdeen at 2110 though websites are a bit unclear. Perhaps others can help. I have at the back of my mind that LNER aren't running north of Edinburgh so it might mean a change to Scotrail. Check carefully if there is a connection from that train if it terminates in Edinburgh. Otherwise travel a bit earlier to get a Scotrail connection
From the weekday timetable on their (LNER) website, they are not running North of Aberdeen, Monday - Friday.
Of course the weekend is different and I am cutre tly unable to see any Interim / emergency timetable on their website.

Hi there, for sure - yes. It is possible.

You can travel via Birmingham Moor Street / transfer / New Street (Chiltern is running) then take the XC to Aberdeen (change at Edinburgh May be required).

Or I suspect it could be slightly more pleasant and safer to travel via London King's Cross. Direct services are in the system for 1000 and 1400.

Best to check nre.co.uk and the individual TOC websites to check ticket pricing and availability though.

And thank you.
For info, this is Chiltern published 'interim timetable' for Sundays (from Sun 24th May). https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/before-you-travel/download-our-timetable
Changes are of course possible.

First Up service from Bicester North to Marylebone is 0804 arriving 0923.

First Down service from Bicester North to Birming Moor Street is 0910 arriving 1027.
From the weekday timetable on their (LNER) website, they are not running North of Aberdeen, Monday - Friday.
Of course the weekend is different and I am cutre tly unable to see any Interim / emergency timetable on their website.

Okay - so LNERs Sunday schedules have now appeared in open data streams
Here - http://charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/full/Kgx/24/05/20
And are only running, this Sunday to/from Edinburgh.

Uploaded just after midnight.

So it would need to be a connection from Edinburgh.

_toommm_

Established Member
May I also throw into the discussion the use of trainsplit.com. If you've not used it before, it does what it says on the tin really; it splits your journey up into multiple tickets, and saves you money. I've just looked, and there's a journey opportunity commencing at 12:02 from Bicester North, via Marylebone, Kings X, Edinburgh and Stirling, currently costing £84.62 (a saving of £109.98 over the Anytime Single).

As this is for work, I'm assuming you'll need to make the journey a few times so may I also suggest you look at the range of RailCards on offer. If you're eligible for one, you'll pretty much get back the initial upfront cost of it from this journey alone. You'll also need a reservation to travel on LNER up to Edinburgh, which is fine if you book in advance as it should give you one automatically, assuming there's room on that particular train.

I would also carry your lanyard and badge just incase you get stopped at any station - whilst this has died down recently, police still actively patrol major stations stopping any unnecessary travel.

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 12.08.35 pm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.