• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nene Valley Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

I personally dont recomend this railway from a enthusiasts point of view. I have various reasons why-

*They use foreign coaching stock so cant do heads out.
* You cant really get any good shots from the stations.

It is a great railway for like families etc, but I was disapointed when I went there today :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
They don't always use foreign stock - they do have a rake of Mk1s IIRC.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Maybe, but it's not enjoyable though! I love to be able to drop the droplight and get the shot/sighting of the loco.

AJP

I agree that foreign stock is diffrent but its frustrating that you get the head out when say you are bashing a 56 :(

devon_metro

Established Member
Probably to stop clag getting in your eyes! Had a bad experience on the SDR behind 2 20s!

Galvanize

Coxster said:
They don't always use foreign stock - they do have a rake of Mk1s IIRC.
Those Mark 1s are vacuum braked only, so only dual braked/Vacuum brake locos can work those.

Because the 56 is air-brakes only, the continental stock is used.

Was the 56 good though?

Coxster

Established Member
Galvanize said:
I thought 56s were dual-braked liked 33s :???:

Its basically only Wansford where taking photos is hard, Orton Mere and Peterborough station are alright..but then i've grown up with NVR so i'm used to it.

AJP

Galvanize said:
Those Mark 1s are vacuum braked only, so only dual braked/Vacuum brake locos can work those.

Was the 56 good though?

It was My Lordzz :lol: but couldnt really enjoy it :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
dvn1357 said:
Probably to stop clag getting in your eyes! Had a bad experience on the SDR behind 2 20s!

A thought. Perhaps utilisation of goggles from a DIY store (I've finally got mine back from storage in Swansea. Now I just need a steam-hauled tour to bash with them...) or sunglasses would do the trick. Failing that, use your hands to form a protective barrier from clag if you must. I appreciate clag. Not just for the sight, the smell and the sound it comes with, but it (along with soot!) helps keep my face clear of acne, which is irritating (I didn't get acne until I went to university, I hope it permanently removes itself soon) when going to the pub, as I then don't look 18! Give me all the clag you can get!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Actually Julian, "clag" will block up your pores and will cause even more spots to appear on your face. Sunglasses, unless rather large, will not stop things getting into your eyes. My best suggestion is to ride in the leading vehicle so that it goes up and over you instead of dropping down into your face.

Nick: 56's were freight only, ETS would be surplus to requirements and a waste of money to install.

jonb

Established Member
For me the Nene Valley is the closest decent Preserved Railway close to me. I went to the diesel gala last year which was very good and was on the Mark 1's all day (Even behind the 56!) So from me I highly recommend it!

theblackwatch

Established Member
warriorofrovac said:
Its basically only Wansford where taking photos is hard, Orton Mere and Peterborough station are alright..but then i've grown up with NVR so i'm used to it.

I've actually found wansford to be great for pics, you can get the signal gantry and signal box in your phots, plus shots of trains going across the bridge of the River Nene. Peterborough is poor as the sun is on the wrong side most of the time.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jamie said:
Actually Julian, "clag" will block up your pores and will cause even more spots to appear on your face. Sunglasses, unless rather large, will not stop things getting into your eyes. My best suggestion is to ride in the leading vehicle so that it goes up and over you instead of dropping down into your face.

Nick: 56's were freight only, ETS would be surplus to requirements and a waste of money to install.

Seems to work on my face to solve my acne problems, but who knows?

I still recommend DIY goggles, most steam bashers have them!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I still recommend DIY goggles, most steam bashers have them!

Bah! Wimps! A good bit of ash, soot and coal dust in the morning is good for you! I certainly dont complain when I get a lump of the good russian stuff in my eyes.....I just run, crying, to the toilet. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As did I when the monster known as 7802 'Bradley Manor' chucked up a load of soot in my eye when I did from Aber (I was lucky to get the window TBH!), off to the lavatory to get the bits out of there.

I recommend the goggles to protect the single most important piece of equipment to the spotters, ie the eyes. Without these, you might as well not bother. Hence you need to look after them, so I would use goggles.

Oh, and FYI, sunglasses do a reasonable job of protecting my eyes actually. Not a perfect one, but close.

AlexS

Established Member
Ya still look an absolute burk wearing safety goggles though! Plus in the sun they'll make your face overheat. Almost as silly as those emo kids who are obsessed in wrapping themselves in duct tape.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
WSXFan said:
It's different when you're on a hellfire steam bash and everyone's doing the same as you though.

Ive been on several steam tours and only a few people have goggles. I think they look a bit silly personally.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well there were a good few wearing them on the October 2004 tour on the Cambrian behind 7802. Seen more people do it (but much less of them) behind Union of South Africa on the SVR a few weeks ago.

As for whether a hellfire steam bash is possible, that depends on the loco, route and driver. Climbing Talerdigg with 7802, we averaged (from what I overheard) 11.5mph up it, with the loco doing some serious work, which was MOST evident from the enormous clouds of exhaust out of the chimney and the amount of bits that hit your eyes and face! A 37 up that bank would be interesting to see now...It was most rateable that steam loco, and has become my all-time favourite steam loco now.

Status
Not open for further replies.