• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nepotism in First (GWR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Is nepotism rife within First (GWR)?

The reason why I ask is that a know a number of people who work for GWR all of whom have got their jobs because of other family members.

An example is someone I know who's a similar age to myself, landed the job as platform dispatch around 4 years ago and he's risen through the ranks extraordinarily fast, despite not being especially remarkable at his job. According to other staff members, he has a reputation for some serious brown nosing as well as being a right arrogant so and so. Furthermore both his parents work as managers for the firm.

I know a couple of other people who have landed the jobs because of the positions of their parents, although I also know people within the firm who are perfectly good at their jobs but never get a promotion, in favour of colleagues with more 'connections' or have mucky nostrils.

This experience has made me think twice about considering working for them in the future, however I do hope I'm wrong.

Is this a similar story amongst other rail firms?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I thought it was a general railway industry thing - not just limited to the railways though!

alxndr

Established Member
I thought it was a general railway industry thing - not just limited to the railways though!

It can go both ways too though, I know people who have been overlooked or given a harder time in interviews because of who their parents are (although not connected to First).

Dynamonic

I have no doubt Nepotism occurs in most organisations to various degrees. It’s one of those unfair facts of life.
Sometimes though, I reckon an employer isn’t trying to do anything sinister. Some are trying to create a ‘family’ workplace environment.
They might even feel an employee would be more reliable if they were related to other great ‘model’ employees, so to speak.

As external assessors (eg. OPC) are used in the recruitment for a lot of the more popular, safety-critical railway roles, I’d imagine a lot of unfair nepotistic advantages are nipped in the bud there. :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yes, there is a well known “BBQ Club” if you in it, you’ll do well.....

PudseyBearHST

I have no doubt Nepotism occurs in most organisations to various degrees. It’s one of those unfair facts of life.
Sometimes though, I reckon an employer isn’t trying to do anything sinister. Some are trying to create a ‘family’ workplace environment.
They might even feel an employee would be more reliable if they were related to other great ‘model’ employees, so to speak.

As external assessors (eg. OPC) are used in the recruitment for a lot of the more popular, safety-critical railway roles, I’d imagine a lot of unfair nepotistic advantages are nipped in the bud there. :)

I agree with you to some extent because in this day and age a lot of testing and interviews are standardised.

Although, I think the point the OP is trying to make is that some people who don't deserve the job get the job because they have connections- this is what I gather from the original post.

Not only the railways I'm sure, but I have heard this saying many times: "It's not what you know but who you know."

43021HST

Established Member

I understand your point on the intentions of creating a creating family atmosphere, which I can see can be useful for small to moderately sized businesses, but I think for large organisations this can be very dangerous, petty rivalry's can develop, candidates with family connections are hired over candidates perhaps with more experience or qualifications. Some people taking their job for granted and allowed to get away with things, many employees couldn't.
I remember reading Gerard Fienne's book, that in his day, nepotism was actively shunned as it could be bad for staff moral and I believe due to the reasons outlined above, that he's right.
Although I think nowadays 'moral' in general is not taken seriously enough in general by employers, 'team-building' exercises such as paintball with the rest of the staff from the department on your weekend doesn't count.

I understand that Nepotism isn't just restricted to First Group, but I was wondering if First was especially bad for it?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I have a good relationship with my management team. That has, and potentially will help my career further. Why shouldn't it ? I'm a good worker and that good working relationship is important. I learn a bit more than my other colleagues and I can seek insight when I need. They know me and what my approach to work is, they know what I think about work and know where I stand on various operational issues.

What I'm not is a 'brown nose' It's a derogatory term used, often in jealousy or to bully others. Certainly we have others who are great at their job and they should be promoted or given opportunity. Have you ever thought why they don't ? Many simply do not want promotion. They are good at their job and that's what makes them happy. I know a few great Drivers who made crap Managers. Being good at job A doesn't always follow you would be good at job B.

As to nepotism, it happens everywhere. Not sure where I stand on it as I can see myself guilty of it in some ways. I tell all my friends and family to get themselves a job on the railway. When the slightest sniff of an opportunity comes up I would pass it on to them first. Even internally; I have guided a few colleagues on the path and that has been to the exclusion of helping others. Its my good working relationships that have helped them and that could be considered a form of nepotism (favouritism). I wonder how many posters here have told others about a vacancy before posting it on the forum.

We have a few railway families. I think for the most part they provide an opportunity that some others don't get. They still need to get the job and keep it. Granted some are 'protected' ]and that's the side I don't like. A recent incident was dealt with by an independent party because there was a 'relationship' Some believe the outcome of the incident and the way the Driver was treated was down to the 'relationship'

Cavan

In the past to get to the EG grades you had to be in the right masonic lodge.

Sebastian O

In the past to get to the EG grades you had to be in the right masonic lodge.
Well where’s the evidence? Or the proof? You can’t just sling out the ‘well he’s a mason’ line when you’re not good enough to meet the grade at interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

43021HST

Established Member
Well that escalated ...

Moving on.
Yes. I could probably name the people you describe.
I'd be very curious for you to name, but be held in fear of libel or incurring a forum infraction.

I have a good relationship with my management team. That has, and potentially will help my career further. Why shouldn't it ? I'm a good worker and that good working relationship is important. I learn a bit more than my other colleagues and I can seek insight when I need. They know me and what my approach to work is, they know what I think about work and know where I stand on various operational issues.

A good working relationship is quite different to brown nosing, the difference being brown nosing to advance yourself, be a suck up and to drop colleagues in the same chain or subordinate to you in the s***, a good working relationship being to work with managers, to achieve things which are better for everyone, not just yourself and management and often a cohesive relationship with management is the best way of doing this.

As to nepotism, it happens everywhere. Not sure where I stand on it as I can see myself guilty of it in some ways. I tell all my friends and family to get themselves a job on the railway. When the slightest sniff of an opportunity comes up I would pass it on to them first. Even internally; I have guided a few colleagues on the path and that has been to the exclusion of helping others. Its my good working relationships that have helped them and that could be considered a form of nepotism (favouritism). I wonder how many posters here have told others about a vacancy before posting it on the forum.

We have a few railway families. I think for the most part they provide an opportunity that some others don't get. They still need to get the job and keep it. Granted some are 'protected' ]and that's the side I don't like. A recent incident was dealt with by an independent party because there was a 'relationship' Some believe the outcome of the incident and the way the Driver was treated was down to the 'relationship'

I'm aware that it happens everywhere, I was curious if First were especially rife with it. I wouldn't say Nepotism is anything to do with informing family and friends of a vacancy. However if a family member or friend was favoured over another candidate purely because they're related to yourself, that to me is pure nepotism.

Unfortunately I have no patience with insularity on any level.

Status
Not open for further replies.