• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NER Railcar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZL exile

For anyone that is interested, 3170 from Embsay, has been working the trains shown as railcar at the Great Central Winter steam gala today, not sure about tomorrow’s trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
It's an amazing machine but I'm surprised that it's operating at a steam gala, given it's powered by an internal combustion engine!

Flying Phil

Established Member
It certainly was popular with the public....and is a real delight inside as well.DSCF7527.JPG

E759

Was this the first time the railcar has come back to the GCR since it was built there (everything apart from the wooden body) back in 2015/16? Went on Friday so didn't see it but have ridden it on the E&BAR and it is indeed an absolute gem. Great mix of old and new in true Southern tradition!

wagwan my g

It's an amazing machine but I'm surprised that it's operating at a steam gala, given it's powered by an internal combustion engine!

It was running instead of a dmu, which usually runs alongside the steam locos at their steam galas, helps give an even more intensive timetable.

It certainly was an interesting sight though nice to see it preserved and running, was gonna have a ride but decided it looked way too busy and cramped also not sure if there actually was but it looked like there wasn't much leg room.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It was running instead of a dmu, which usually runs alongside the steam locos at their steam galas, helps give an even more intensive timetable.

It certainly was an interesting sight though nice to see it preserved and running, was gonna have a ride but decided it looked way too busy and cramped also not sure if there actually was but it looked like there wasn't much leg room.
All seats taken when I got on, so stood between stations but then some folk got off and it thinned out a little bit so I had a seat then.

Superb restoration (towards £1m by looks of it from website...) and a very interesting vehicle.

wagwan my g

All seats taken when I got on, so stood between stations but then some folk got off and it thinned out a little bit so I had a seat then.

Superb restoration (towards £1m by looks of it from website...) and a very interesting vehicle.

I could see it was full with people standing when it pulled into the station, and on the platform there were more people waiting to get on it than there would've been space in there, decided to wait for the steam service behind it.

But yeah it looked very well restored and a very interesting vehicle, certainly something different.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I was able to get a seat and there was plenty of legroom.....as I didn't even consider it! It was also nice to see the seat backs on a pivot so reversable as travel direction changes.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I could see it was full with people standing when it pulled into the station, and on the platform there were more people waiting to get on it than there would've been space in there, decided to wait for the steam service behind it.

But yeah it looked very well restored and a very interesting vehicle, certainly something different.
Mine was on the last run on Sunday afternoon - very heavy rain so numbers had prob thinned out a bit. Lots of interesting info on their website which I have been perusing - full back numbers of their journal in pdf to look through for example. Nice to see lottery fund supporting a project like this - good for them!

https://electricautocar.co.uk/

ZL exile

The last trip on Saturday from Rothley to Loughborough was not fun, over 2 hours late back, the usual late running, then some mindless locals threw a metal fence panel onto the tracks, locking up the track circuits apparently. The last steam trip was held at Loughborough to connect.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The NER railcar was moving in Lbro shed yard today and is due to be out running next weekend with the K1.

Status
Not open for further replies.