• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NET: why a crossover to the "wrong" side between Wilkinson St & The Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I've recently made a few business trips to Nottingham, parking at Phoenix Park and riding the NET into the city.

Between Wilkinson Street and The Forest, the northbound and southbound lines diverge and cross over. Southbound trams run along Radford Road whereas northbound trams run along Noel Street, a few blocks east.

Why were the lines designed this way, with the inevitable crossovers at each end?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatfordCat

I've recently made a few business trips to Nottingham, parking at Phoenix Park and riding the NET into the city.

Between Wilkinson Street and The Forest, the northbound and southbound lines diverge and cross over. Southbound trams run along Radford Road whereas northbound trams run along Noel Street, a few blocks east.

Why were the lines designed this way, with the inevitable crossovers at each end?

Thanks!

pure guesswork on my part, but I suspect that a curve from the northbound track on Noel Street round in to Terrace Street would have been too tight. Doing it the other way round allows a slightly bigger radius on the curve

WillPS

Established Member
It allows the tram to cross over further down Radford Road and 'escape' Hyson Green easily - that stretch of Radford Road has always been congested.

scandal

Thanks!

The layout is down to the residents of Hyson Green who wanted inbound trams to call at Radford Road causing a late changed to the designs.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If they had run the other way round, Hyson Green Market tram stop would have had to be on the other side of Radford Road from the Market and from Asda.

The diamond and tight curve on Noel Street is a few metres from a terrace of houses, who going by their window posters were some of the most vociferous opponents of the tram. I noticed last autumn the posters had all gone and the diamond was relaid for flange tip running (or at least I think it wasn't like that originally). Incidentally a few yards further south is a section of interlaced track, which I presume is so the facing point for the centre track at the Forest isn't in the middle of Gregory Boulevard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.