• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Netherlands: train derailment at The Hague

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNL

Established Member
Last Thursday, around lunchtime an intercity from Enschede to The Hague formed of two "DDZ" EMUs partially derailed on the tracks leading towards Den Haag Centraal. One person got injured: the guard of the train involved.

The derailment happened on the westernmost bit of the Den Haag - Gouda - Utrecht line, closing it to traffic between Den Haag Centraal and Den Haag Ypenburg. Initially infrastructure manager ProRail anticipated that the line would remain closed until Monday morning, but they recently announced that the line will reopen to traffic Sunday at 10:30.

The incident happened in a fairly low speed area (less than 2km away from the buffer stops at Den Haag Centraal), the train was traveling at around 30 km/h (20mph) when the cab car of the second unit left the tracks:

ontsporing_treinstel_den_haag_centraal_-_2-1-20.jpg
Picture showing the derailed vehicle of the NS DDZ intercity EMU.

The derailment caused extensive damage: 3 switches have to be repaired and 19 insulated joints, necessary for the track circuits to function properly, have to be replaced.

web_20200103-043900_sv3033.jpg
Picture showing twisted and damaged set of points.

ProRail have posted a video of the rerailing efforts on their YouTube channel, the video was shot by their 'Incidentenbestrijders' (incident resolution officers):

NS, the operator of the train involved, have published a statement from their engineering director. Upon inspection, NS found two badly damaged wheels which caused the train to derail. It is not yet known how the wheels could get damaged this badly. A full investigation by IL&T, the Dutch equivalent of the RAIB, is underway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterT

Depends on the damage. I have no inside knowledge other than the officially published messages, but my first suspicion would be the wheel flanges. I don't think that damage to those things would be easily visible from outside or felt inside the train.

MarkyT

Established Member
From photos and text, it looks like the incident occurred in this vicinity, on approach to the Central Station from Utrecht via Gouda.
thehague.jpg

MisterT

That's correct. Initial findings are that somehow the tread brake caused such severe damage to the wheel "tire" (? I don't know the official terminology used in the UK), that the train derailed in the end. I'm afraid that you'll have to wait for the final official report for more details (details are still confidential, so I'm not going to post it on public forums ;)).

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That's correct. Initial findings are that somehow the tread brake caused such severe damage to the wheel "tire"

Possibly the brakes caused wheelflats to develop which were sufficiently serious to allow the wheels to derail?

AlexNL

Established Member
The two tracks in the middle (by the word 'Data') are the main lines between Gouda and The Hague. To the left and to the right of it are the 'Binckhorst' yards.

The train derailed on the right-to-left track crossover in the middle of the picture.

MisterT

Possibly the brakes caused wheelflats to develop which were sufficiently serious to allow the wheels to derail?
I wouldn't call it exactly flat "spots", as it was around the whole wheel.
Obviously, a few of the questions raised are "how could this happen?" and "why wasn't it noticed by the staff or the monitoring equipment?".

Obviously, all trains from the same class have been checked specifically for this defect, and they have found a few trains with a potential to develop the same issue, so those have been taken out of service immediately and will be repaired.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I wouldn't call it exactly flat "spots", as it was around the whole wheel.

Changed composition of the wheel due to prolonged sliding and wheel lock resulting in a weakened wheel which failed in part and allowed the train to derail?

A flange failure or something?

I presume there will be a public report as there are here in Britain when such an incident occurs?

MisterT

Yes, all details will be published in a public report. Your line of thought is almost correct, but I'm afraid that I really can't say anything more detailed, even though I would like to.

AlexNL

Established Member
I presume there will be a public report as there are here in Britain when such an incident occurs?
Yes, IL&T are investigating and are expected to publish a full report on their website. But, as with RAIB reports, it takes a long time to write up such reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.