• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Netherlands Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Shooting Traxx in a barrel!

Just a Saturday / Sunday trip to throw a few lines in my very empty NS book, looking at the 17 turns and then doing the newly expanded 186 diagrams on IC turns to the south. Good weather and NS actually managing to run something like the advertised timetable helped, sadly no SNCB 28s as the Benelux was caped all weekend. I've expanded the captions from those shown on my website to give more of an overview of hauled trains in the Netherlands that currently operate - weekend work is certainly increased on recent years. Being NS, this may not last as they like to change the 1700 turns in particular on a regular basis!

ns_1765_amsterdam.jpg

1765 at Amsterdam with the 1100 Berlin. This two-hourly axis is the last turns for standard 1700s not now fitted with push-pull equipment, they work as far as Bad Bentheim where a DB loco takes over.

ns-1759-apeldoorn1.jpg

1759 rolls into Apeldoorn with the ECS to form the 1220 to Alamo. All of these turns are formed of DDAR 1700 sets on weekends currently, which is handy. The DDAR sets have autocouplers and can work in multi with DDZ EMUs which are near identical just with power cars not locos. Bo-Bo-Bo nonsense power cars at that.

ns_1734_apeldoorn.jpg

n the same circuit, 1734 shunts out of Apeldoorn after working in from Alamo.

ns-186142-rotterdam.jpg

Sunday now, and 186142 pushes the 0914 Breda - Amsterdam away from Rotterdam. All of the 186s now work top and tail, fresh out the box 186045 was leading, and there are 4tph on the HSL to Rotterdam, two of which continue to Breda. A 2.40euro supplement is required between Schipol and Rotterdam, as opposed to using trains via the traditional route through Den Haag.

ns-186239-186036-breda.jpg

Grey 186239 on the 0937 Amsterdam-Breda has terminated alongside 186036 which is on the rear of the 1053 to Den Haag. These Den Haag services are due to be extended through to Eindhoven soon which will need even more 186s to be in use. 186239 is one of around a dozen non-NS liveried 186s (as opposed to NS's 186001-048 & 111-122) which may or may not be handed back at some stage.

ns-186042-rotterdam.jpg

186042 arrives at Rotterdam with the 1214 Breda - Amsterdam

ns-1731-enkhuizen.jpg

Sunday afternoon trip to the seaside, 1731 at Enkhuizen after working the 1536 from Amsterdam. These DDM sets have recently(ish) been re-instated with the 17s again in theory fixed formation to the relevant set. The stock is in good condition after years in store, although the leatherette bench seats are a bit of a throwback this far west!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Those 17 locos won't be winning any beauty contests anytime soon!

Looked like a good trip to a country on my wish-list

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very interesting. Nice photos too.

87electric

Great pics and report.
The 1700s are my favourite locos.I need another trip out there to add to my haulage tally of 50 now that more have come back into operation.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Good shots. I like the Netherlands, pretty easy network to navigate and bright coloured trains.

What is the future for the 17xxs? Are they due for retirement any time soon, or going to keep soldiering on for now?

Established Member
What is the future for the 17xxs? Are they due for retirement any time soon, or going to keep soldiering on for now?
No actual info, but I imagine they are fairly safe for a few years. New units for the HSL are only due the other side of 2020 which could cascade the 186s, I don't think there is much in the way of other unit orders as the Flirt deathtraps seem to largely be replacing older units (if they can ever get more than a handful to work properly that is) - Its NS though so plans can change in the wind!!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An excellent little report on a country I would love to go back to, I haven't had a NS 1700 as they didn't turn up for me on weekend work when I went in 2013.

186s are hellfire beasts though, and Kite definitely needs to get over there and sample the amazing railway!

Status
Not open for further replies.