• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Card Minimum : Period Returns Bought on Weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB_B

Established Member
If I buy a period return with a Network Card on a weekend/bank holiday then a ticket vending machine will ignore the £13 minimum (which only applies weekdays) and so for some journeys it will sell me a sub £13 return.

It doesn't ask when I intend to return nor does it seem to offer an alternative ticket at the £13 threshold.

Can I use this <£13 ticket to return on weekdays?

If not, would it be possible to excess and at what point would I need to do that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
In my experience the "version" of the fare with the £13 price is usually there somewhere as well, but it probably depends on the manufacturer/software version. In saying that I have had a similar experience at the booking office, and tried to explain to the clerk that the return journey would be on a weekday and query whether the reduced fare was really correct, but I couldn't persuade her to charge me the full minimum fare! If there really is no option to pay the £13 fare, and you can justify that if queried, then you should be fine, IMHO.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think most people would buy the fare and think no more of it, if there is no prompt about it.

If staff object to it, they can excess it by charging the difference between the fare paid and the £13 fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.