• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network gold card

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianboult

I am about to purchase a gold card next week.
I am finding the t&c's a little confusing on the National Rail website.

If I purchase an off peak ticket from (say) Hastings to Weymouth -going via Brighton - Southampton route, will I get a third off the normal return ticket and then be able to upgrade to first class for the whole journey for just the one £5 payment, or will I have to pay an additional £5 to South west trains when I change onto their service at Weymouth? I understand in any case that I will have to pay an additional £5 for the return journey upgrade.

If I were to use Cross Country trains from Southampton to Weymouth would this upgrade be valid on their trains too?

My understanding is that you should be able to pay the supplement only one time per journey to cover the total distance, or am I incorrect in this assumption?

Also I regularly go to London on business and get a rush hour train back to Hastings that is almost impossible to get a seat on - can I pay the £5 upgrade on a train leaving big smoke at this time on a weekday?
Incidentaly, this is not on the route covered by my gold card if that makes any difference to matters.
Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
I am about to purchase a gold card next week.
I am finding the t&c's a little confusing on the National Rail website.

If I purchase an off peak ticket from (say) Hastings to Weymouth -going via Brighton - Southampton route, will I get a third off the normal return ticket and then be able to upgrade to first class for the whole journey for just the one £5 payment, or will I have to pay an additional £5 to South west trains when I change onto their service at Weymouth? I understand in any case that I will have to pay an additional £5 for the return journey upgrade.

If I were to use Cross Country trains from Southampton to Weymouth would this upgrade be valid on their trains too?

My understanding is that you should be able to pay the supplement only one time per journey to cover the total distance, or am I incorrect in this assumption?

Also I regularly go to London on business and get a rush hour train back to Hastings that is almost impossible to get a seat on - can I pay the £5 upgrade on a train leaving big smoke at this time on a weekday?
Incidentaly, this is not on the route covered by my gold card if that makes any difference to matters.
Many thanks.

Yes you are correct, you pay one supplement before you board your train services and this covers you for the full validity of your ticket.

For your second issue about weekdays I can refer to the FRPP which states the following:

On weekdays Gold Card First Supplements cannot be used for any journey over the route covered by a Standard Class Season Ticket unless a separate standard discounted ticket for the journey has been purchased. This does not apply at Weekends or on Public Holidays. First Class Annual Gold Card holders are not required to purchase separate Gold Card First Supplement tickets for themselves where the journey being made is covered by the route validity of their Gold Card season. Accompanying adults and children must be issued with both a Standard Class adult or Child Flat Fare ticket as appropriate, and a Gold Card First Supplement.

So basically the short answer is no you cannot unless you purchase a separate ticket for your journey (which if you did everyday would defeat the objective of a season).

Status
Not open for further replies.