• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail admits crash errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Note: Duplicate thread by Mushroom deleted but with link to story added here

BBCNews said:
Network Rail is facing an unlimited fine after admitting health and safety breaches relating to the 1999 Ladbroke Grove rail crash that claimed 31 lives.

The company, formerly Railtrack, pleaded guilty to charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

A Thames Trains train driven by Michael Hodder, 31, passed a red signal and hit a London-bound Great Western express.

Network Rail pleaded guilty to failing to ensure the signal was clearly visible from a sufficient distance.

At London's Blackfriars Crown Court Judge, Aidan Marron QC adjourned sentencing until 18 December when Network Rail will indicate the full basis of its guilty plea in writing.

More than 400 people were injured in the crash on 5 October, 1999.

Thames Trains and Railtrack were both criticised in a public inquiry report by Lord Cullen.

Thames Trains pleaded guilty to health and safety offences in relation to the 1999 crash and was fined £2m in April 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6102196.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Well put, Metroland. I can't see what good can come of a fine in Network Rail's case, especially as it was a Railtrack failing

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oops apologies for the double post. I didnt see this thread in the list.

Mine had a link too!

Yeah what i meant was that there was no link here and so I followed your lead and put one in this thread ;)

Respite

Government fines itself again then? I might fine myself later for not doing the washing up.

Totally true,what the hell is the point. Why not just fine the tory goverment that priavatised the railway in the first place,after all if railtrack had not existed then the company motto "Quality paths for PROFIT" would not of been made & maybe just maybe instead of going for profits they could of spent the money keeping the network safe.
I hated the railtrack years on the railway,one of the main reasons I came out of signalling was their attitude to running the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.