• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Advanced Apprentice Assesment Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

aw123

Hi, my son has been invited to an advanced aprenticeship assessment centre at Manchester on Thurs 4th June ( I know this is a strike day so if it goes ahead I'm going to have to drive) I'm just wondering if anyone has attended this year and knows what happens on the day

Thanks in Advance x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aw123

Hi . I'm already a member as I'm a conductor so just easy for me to post. Do you know anything about the assessment centre?

TomBoyd

Not specifically no, and fair enough.

In general, network rail is interested in the 8 non technical skills, and all their hiring I know about is based around them. Have your son take a peak at them, and maybe get in touch with HR as to the content of the day itself.

aw123

Okay , his email says a group exercise, a competency based interview plus a chance to chat to last year's apprentices. The interview is normally based on 4 or 5 specific subjects like communication or team working but we can't find any clues on network rail website. Maybe looking too far into it x

TomBoyd

The interview will be based around the 8 non-technical skills:

The 8 core non-technical skills are as follows:

Conscientiousness – the ability to work diligently, with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Relationships with People – the ability to work with others in the team in a positive, respectful and supportive manner; providing support and help when needed and managing conflict when required.

Communications – the ability to communicate both verbally and in written format clearly and concisely and to stand your ground as necessary.

Willingness and Ability to Learn – the ability and motivation to be trained, retain information, apply it in the work environment and learn and develop on the job.

Planning and Decision Making – the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise activities.

Multi Task Capacity – the ability to successfully carry out more than one task at a time.

Controlled Under Pressure – the ability to cope in emergency or degraded situations.

Attention Management – the ability to remain alert and focussed, to manage distractions, and keep an awareness of the overall situation.

alxndr

Established Member
I did it two years ago, not sure how much had changed since, they seem to like playing with the recruitment process a bit, I know the pre-assessment day tests have been altered.

There will be a group chat outlining the day at the beginning, then break off and have the interviews. At some point there will be an ishihara colour blindness test, and certificates and eligibility to work documents copied. There's also the group exercise, which for me was contacting something to a specific spec for a certain task out of paper and other stationary. It's not completing the task that's important so much as showing leadership skills.

Also, it might say parents can attend, but none do, or at least never did the three batches of people I've seen have the assessments.

aw123

What great hints thank you both so much. Here's hoping he gets lucky. Thanks again x

Status
Not open for further replies.