• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail advanced apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.

westbrom

Does any one know if the locations for the advanced apprenticeships change yearly or they are allways at the same depots?
My lad has recently applied to find that there were no depots within an hour of where we live (Birmingham) so was unable to proceed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thecrofter

The first year off the job used to be based in Gosport but that's now changed to Coventry (Westwood)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wazza082

I've been look I into apprentiships and it seems most of the training is at the new Westwood training centre in Eastleigh depot near Southampton.

You can live on-site for free for the first year while training maybe this is why a lot of the training is their, free breakfast, lunch and dinner plus all the uniform of course.

I believe the 2nd year is a mix of out on the job of your choice learning the ropes and class room work ect.

3rd year is more placement working out of your nearest depot on the job as a trainee.

Please recorrect me if I'm wrong but thats my understanding from what I have peaced together.

MichaelWells

Westwood is in Coventry

and I believe is now half a year there with only Signals and Track Courses,
(two to a room vice six, so much better)

Last edited:

westbrom

Derby, Leicester and Hereford were the nearest depots to Birmingham so all were too faraway for him

alxndr

Established Member
Westwood, Coventry is the training centre for the 20 weeks in the first year. This will not change from year to year, and you do not need to live in the vicinity as accommodation is provided. It has replaced the initial long stint in HMS Collingwood/HMS Sultan down south.

HMS Sultan, Gosport is the training school used in the second and third years for railway specific courses in 2-3 week stints. Again, this does not change (although some disciplines may use other training schools as well, such as Walsal), and you do not need to live nearby as accommodation is provided.

The depots, where the time will be spent when not on courses, do vary from year to year, depending on business need. These need to be within a reasonable travelling distance as this will be your regular place of work, and with it being shift work you need to be able to commute at various times of the day. (As an aside, I saw one lad yesterday who finished at 0300 wait until the first train at 0630, so that's something worth bearing in mind, particularly if you don't drive.)

If there is no nearby depots for this intake it's worth checking for the next, as they do vary. I believe Birmingham took some on a few years back, so they may well do again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.