• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Advanced Apprentiship

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionRail

Wahey I got on!!

Cant quite believe it myself, the HR person rang me this morning to tell me i got a place on their Apprenticeship scheme in Gosport, and then 2 years training at Rugby or Bletchley in Signal Engineering. 240 out of over 3000 got a place, so im quite pleased!

Time for a beer i believe...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nath9425

Wahey I got on!!

Cant quite believe it myself, the HR person rang me this morning to tell me i got a place on their Apprenticeship scheme in Gosport, and then 2 years training at Rugby or Bletchley in Signal Engineering. 240 out of over 3000 got a place, so im quite pleased!

Time for a beer i believe...

You can stop by slagging them off in your signature then...if they get hold of you :mad: ;) :lol:

nutter

The NWR apprenticeship has (when I started/finished) a "guranteed job" according to the line mananger and all the other HR people.

Just dont do what i did and jack it in, cos it'll be the worst decison of your life. I jacked it in for a girl, and regretted it ever since.

If you want to know anything else just let me know, I'm sure I'll be able to help you out (I was S&T too)

AlexS

Established Member
Now if that was the case, they would have to give you a job even if you were rubbish :)

You were on fairly early in the scheme Mark, a person off this forum who shall not be named unless he wants to be in which case he's very capable of making himself known, made the point that the earlier in the scheme, the more likely you are to get a job - they fill up like anything else, and also note that NR has been ordered to make cutbacks.

A mate of mine who isn't on this forum is just completing his apprenticeship (we both work voluntarily in the S&T depot on the GCR) and he's having to apply for these jobs just like anyone else.

nutter

Thas something i didn't mention in case i put FR off, is that NWR is VERY good at breaking promises, even down to the basics like equipment, and then when you get the proper kit yourself (i'm using the "waterproof" jackets as an example) they have a go at you.

On the tracks I can understand the whole been tangoed thing, it's common sense, but in a classroom 3 miles away from the nearest rails, please, if i want to stay dry, i will. Luckily for me, my line manager understood where i was coming from (he's an ex-marine) and let me get away with it when there weren't any visitors.

Even though people can say they were cuttin costs and it wasn't NEEDED as we weren't constantly outside in the rain, I could get a really good waterproof for £40, and their already spending 60K on each apprentice, whats £20 odd for each apprentice.

We (S&T) were promised a trip to the Milton keynes (or bletchley, can't remember where it was) signalling school, which never happened, and was never going to happen, and when asked why, he just said they thought none of us were interested. It's not about been interested, It's about understanding all the different areas of the railways.

It just makes you wonder if the company can skimp on basics like that, what else could they be skimping on, I'm not saying for one minute they compramise safety, cos they dont, but they dont always look after the team if you know what i mean.

Having said all this, i do really miss the job, the company might not have been up to much, but the people you work with make it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.