• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail announce empty containers to feature wind energy collection equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Certainly some interesting timing here, what with yesterday's Spalding incident following hot-on-the-heels of other container freight issues.

Network Rail today announced that empty containers on freight trains, which have been involved in several accidents involving crosswinds, will from today start to be fitted with experimental wind turbines to capture otherwise harmful gusts.

In partnership with Freightliner (the major sponsor), shipping company Maersk, and other major freight operations companies, Network Rail will be working to install, manage and ultimately generate profit from renewable energy generation in some of the busiest areas of the network.

Named the Freightliner Optimum Oxygen Load system, this revolutionary set of technologies will see wind turbines loaded into containers fitted with side-loading doors and a direct power supply to the National Grid. As many freight routes are either electrified with overhead line equipment (known as OHLE) or will shortly be provided with such systems, these containers will also feature pantographs additional to those on the locomotive of the train. For environmental reasons, the obvious risk to birds will be mitigated through programming of the train horn to warn wildlife to stay away.

The Environment Agency and Department for Transport jointly welcomed the move. Reid Aftermarch, joint working group chairman, said in a statement: "We know that there is a massive risk to bystanders, workers, lineside infrastructure and service reliability from containers simply falling off trains. By allowing wind energy to pass through, whilst at the same time generating power, we can reduce the impact on lineside hedgerows and limited diversionary capacity in one blow to the dangers currently faced."

Maersk Group have stated that they support the plans as cutting retractable flaps is no less harmful to a container than many of the other things they face, such as falling onto level crossings or ending up in Cumbrian farmers' fields. Information is not yet available on the hazards of pantographs being misused for intermodal lorry drivers to provide impromptu power whilst negotiating level crossings. Most lorries are not yet capable of receiving 25kV electrical power supplies safely, although early studies indicate that ready meals are heated over 190% faster in cabs.

Source: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/news.aspx

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You shouldnae have given the game away - it would be funny to see if anyone actually believed it! :lol:

ScotrailINV

You shouldnae have given the game away - it would be funny to see if anyone actually believed it! :lol:

I was believing it and thinking of all the possible failures with it until I saw posts further down... Time for sleep!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I read it as "to capture otherwise harmful ghosts". That's what I get for watching Ghostbusters at three in the morning...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Not present on the link given. I expect it was pulled as soon as somebody important enough woke up and noticed it - given the potential for a serious incident from lost containers it's in pretty poor taste.

al.currie93

I wondered what this years fool would be... remembering last year's new Pacer being built by Optare :P

SPADTrap

Established Member
Not present on the link given. I expect it was pulled as soon as somebody important enough woke up and noticed it - given the potential for a serious incident from lost containers it's in pretty poor taste.

So we better stop all empty liners then..is running them in poor taste? :|

tsr

Established Member
I can indeed confirm this was an April Fool and that Mr Aftermarch is now heading into retirement.

As for the link, that was just to make the quote look plausible by adhering to RailUK Forums rules. It was not sourced from NR... ;)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
So we better stop all empty liners then..is running them in poor taste? :|

No. It would have been in poor taste for Network Rail to have put out a joke regarding a potentially serious incident that happened on their network the previous day. There is a separate issue of container safety, which as I posted on the other thread appears to apply to one type of wagon only.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can indeed confirm this was an April Fool and that Mr Aftermarch is now heading into retirement.

As for the link, that was just to make the quote look plausible by adhering to RailUK Forums rules. It was not sourced from NR... ;)

Thanks for the clarification. As it happens I don't think the quote was in poor taste if it came from you not NR, although you may be on dodgy ground implying that it came from them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.