• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

network rail application process

Status
Not open for further replies.

pricer83

Hi

My husband just recently applied for a few positions within Network Rail, he had completed the online tests and passed the benchmark requirements and out of the 3 jobs he has applied for he have received a message advising that on two of the vacancies his application is under concideration for assessment 2 . The 3rd job advert is still currently open as the closing date is another week away. All positions are for operatives but the job descriptions are exactly the same however there are different job titles and salaries. the positions are:-

operative works delivery signalling
operative maintenance off track
operative maintenance track

If my husband is lucky enough to be selected for interview i would like to help him prepare but i have a few questions about the positions myself firstly what are the differfences in each position? what position would be better in forwarding his career (in time to come i.e moving up the ladder) what are the shift patterns? what does £circa dependant on roster mean on job advert? if the interviews start week commencing 6th March when would he be told that he been selected for interview (his current workplace requries 2 weeks notice before time off)

im sorry for asking too many questions but this is a life changing oportunity for him and us as a family and i would like to help him out as much as i can to prepare for the next stage if accepted. Also would assessment 2 mean a one to one interview or would it be assessment centre then interview??? if he's extremely lucky to land himself a position within Network Rail how long would it take for a start date, medicals, training etc.

Any help or further information is very much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
The job descriptions that Network Rail give out on their adverts are pretty dire! Although it's aimed at potential apprentices, this page gives a bit more information about the differences in the roles, so might be of some use. (Note however, that "works delivery" isn't quite the same as maintenance, although would involve the same equipment).

Works delivery signalling is largely renewals/installation of signalling equipment (point machines, signal heads, track circuits etc). More of an electrical thing, although with some mechanical elements, and I'd say probably the most technical of the three.

Off track involves things which are lineside but aren't actually to do with the railway line, for example maintaining the boundary fences, vegetation clearance, and drainage works.

Track is the maintenance of the track itself. Probably the most physical of the three, especially as an operative (the lowest of the grades), and would involve a fair bit of digging ballast. Track (also known as p-way/per-way) generally has the largest gangs.

Exact pay details would depend on the contract that they work to, as there are slight differences across the company, but the signalling side of things is likely to be higher than that for track (not sure where off track fall). For example at our depot the basic salary for a signalling operative is the same as a track technician, with technician being the grade above operative. Shift enhancements (10% for weekends and nights) and overtime could also potentially bump up wages, but their availability would depend on the depot and role.

Sig01

Its great that you are chasing up on behalf of your husband.
I'm a Network Rail employee and would hope he'd get involved himself??
Happy to answer any questions if he has any.

Need2

Its great that you are chasing up on behalf of your husband.
I'm a Network Rail employee and would hope he'd get involved himself??
Happy to answer any questions if he has any.

Not very helpful, bordering on rude.:(

pricer83

Thank you for your reply to my posting as you said the job descriptions are not very helpful and in depth to find out what difference there are between the roles. So with the information you provided have helped enormously.

Sorry if my original post offended anyone I'm just being a typical wife. Good opportunities don't tend to knock on our door very often so I just want him to succeed and do well in the next stage if selected xxxx

Sig01

Hi, best of luck to your husband. As I said if you need any questions answered I'll be happy to help. And apologies if I seemed rude, my reply was typed in the middle of a busy night shift.

jsimp

Hi, best of luck to your husband. As I said if you need any questions answered I'll be happy to help. And apologies if I seemed rude, my reply was typed in the middle of a busy night shift.

Hi as you are a current employer of network rail, do you have any o advice for me in regards to my application. I am an experienced maintenance worker outdoors and indoors, passed the tests online but keep falling at the last hurdle. The interview I am not getting invited to seems to fall short at under consideration. I am applying for operative roles. Thanks in advance

Supercoss

These are entry level jobs within the workforce, working within 'gang' on either signalling or switch maintenance, drainage,fencing,vegetation management and shovelling.
Basic track competences to work under supervision actually doing the hands on work with gradual upskilling to use powered plant and gain other track competences. Good entry role, out in all weathers, nights and weekends in ddition to day shifts

jsimp

These are entry level jobs within the workforce, working within 'gang' on either signalling or switch maintenance, drainage,fencing,vegetation management and shovelling.
Basic track competences to work under supervision actually doing the hands on work with gradual upskilling to use powered plant and gain other track competences. Good entry role, out in all weathers, nights and weekends in ddition to day shifts

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep trying and keep an eye out for those roles in particular. By the way do you know what spot rated salary means ?

slh1992

I applied for operative off track 6th December. The advertisement closed on the 12th. I completed my tests and passed by the 16th and then heard nothing until 10th January for an interview on the 19th(2nd assessment) then another wait till 7th Feb to say I had been accepted and offered the job. Then silence again until today when my medical has finally been booked for next Tuesday 28th results from that can take upto 7 days then I'll be told to put my notice in which is 4 weeks. Its been a Lengthy process for me and I'm still looking at another month at least. At least you've got 2 vacancies where your husband is under consideration for the interview stage. But I would advise it could take a while

If successfull for an interview my best advice would be to focus on safety in any answers you give. That seems to be key in there interviews as I had had 3 separate attempts prior to being successfull on this one and all they're mainly focused on is whether or not your safety concious.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

pricer83

wow congratulations on finally getting the job! what a long process.
My husband have been unsucessful for one position but still waiting on the 2nd that is under hiring mangers concideration for interview, with another two positions that have "test completed" status as closing date have only just gone so fingers crossed. In the meantime he have e-mailed the recruitment support to see if there was any particular reasons behind not being called up for interview. I think that the feedback would help towards any future applications.

He only has to give one weeks notice for leaving current employer so with some luck the whole process afterwards might not take too long if he does actually get one of the positions. I'm currently on Maternity leave so im like his PA at the moment lol.

it has been mentioned by few people in our area that he might be better going through agency to work on the rails but work then isnt guaranteed to be every week (some boys got layed off for few days but then taken back on) although they do pay well too. But would this be a good move for him to gain extra experiance??? as a family we need stability and thoughts of agency work turns us away but if its benificial im sure feelings could be persuaded.

for us as a family it would feel like a lottery win if he did work on the rails as he would have stability in his work and be much more happier than where he is now, and i could reduce my full time hours to part time so im here for our children more (perhaps a career change for myself too).

Status
Not open for further replies.