• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.

quak_C

Does anyone know what the 'financial check'means ? Or what they check ? Iv got a pretty big overdraft atm which will be paid by time we start in september cud tht effect me ? Iv got bad credit rating due to t-mobile black listing me for their mistake grrrr :@

i dont think they do that for everyone i think it just depends on what discipline your doing eg property works

i could be wrong tho

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t o m

I can see why they would do financial checks for a job like a policeman as if you are in financial difficulty you might accept a bribe. Not sure why on the railways though. Maybe it's because we'll be living on a military base and we could sell information, or does that sound stupid?

Also, had my security questionnaire email today, not had time to do it yet. I also had an email asking if I could start this week or next to help set up! I've still got my notice to work in my current job though and haven't even started getting any kit!

S c o t t

Tom I know that what I was thinking iv since spoke to NR said they don't do it for apprentices as there's no point. Iv got my medical a week today can't wait to get it done with all though I was at work last night and walked through the pot heads on my break hope no passive smoking took place !

Ye security questionnaire is pretty simple mate they obviously just need the clearance for military base and you would only get rejected in extreme circumstances. I'm the same I have to give notice and don't have any kit yet. Do we travel down on the 10th ? What have you choosen to do ?

t o m

I'm doing signalling, yourself? If I had the kit I'd just stuff my notice and go now. I'm on my tea break at work at the moment, can't wait to get out of here...

I had my medical 2/3 weeks ago. You can still pass with a small amount of cannabis in your system, incase of passive smoking. I imagine it is a very small amount though!

S c o t t

Yeah I'm signals to mate how old are you ? Yeah I'd do the same just havnt got the kit ect. Can't wait to get down there thou do you know the accomadation arrangements ? Like is it set in age groups or ?

Yeah doubt I have any in my system

Rwhunited

Yeah I'm signals to mate how old are you ? Yeah I'd do the same just havnt got the kit ect. Can't wait to get down there thou do you know the accomadation arrangements ? Like is it set in age groups or ?

I'm signals as well, and the living arrangements are same age, different areas and different disciplines so I will be with 17 year old's who are not from the North West and not doing signalling.

S c o t t

That's bad new that why do it with different disciplines ? Be better same discipline because people can help each other then surely ?

Hydro

Established Member
To get you to mix socially. There's plenty of time to help each other in class.

t o m

I'm 21. As Ryan said, the rooms are set by age group but mixed disciplines. The accommodation block they showed us round on my open day was Electra Block, which was 6 man rooms and they said it was mostly for the younger apprentices. The other block was Redlands, which I believe they said is mostly 2 and 4 man rooms.

I suppose it's quite a good idea that they mix the disciplines as we'd all just stick in our own groups.

Hydro

Established Member
Redlands is, IMO, the better building. Not as hectic, smaller and closer to everything important, i.e. the pub.

S c o t t

Redlands are the new update block if I remember. So most likely to be in redlands if the rest is for the younger. How long after medical do find out if passed ect ? And is that it after the medical ?

t o m

Redlands are the new update block if I remember. So most likely to be in redlands if the rest is for the younger. How long after medical do find out if passed ect ? And is that it after the medical ?

They'll tell you if there's anything wrong at your medical, apart from your drugs test, which you only hear back about if it's a fail. That's it after the medical, apart from the security questionnaire and an online maths and literacy test.

S c o t t

Tom what's this maths an literacy test thought we had alreadt done them at the assessment what happens if u fail the tests ?

t o m

Tom what's this maths an literacy test thought we had alreadt done them at the assessment what happens if u fail the tests ?

You can't fail them. The tests are just so they can get an idea of what level we are at so they can tailor the lessons to us.

S c o t t

Phew haha I'm bad at online tests :( have u done them ? I cnt wait to get my medical over an done wiv and gt my offer confirmation

kohibito

Hello everyone. Just got a curiosity.

What does the application for the apprenticeship constist of when you apply online?

Sorry if someone already asked for it and I didn't see but could not find any of this information around.

I would like to apply for the 2012 year and really want to win a place!

Thanks you all! :wub:

S c o t t

There isn't a lot to the application just has all personal details, gcse grades, work history, has a few questions about hobbies ect. I can't really remember much else tbh

t o m

Phew haha I'm bad at online tests :( have u done them ? I cnt wait to get my medical over an done wiv and gt my offer confirmation

I haven't done them yet, we should get an email in the next few weeks.

Hello everyone. Just got a curiosity.

What does the application for the apprenticeship constist of when you apply online?

Sorry if someone already asked for it and I didn't see but could not find any of this information around.

I would like to apply for the 2012 year and really want to win a place!

Thanks you all! :wub:

The first step is an online application form, it asks for your basic details and qualifications. You also have to write a couple of statements, something along the lines of why you want the job, what qualities you have etc... If your application is accepted the next step is an online multiple choice questionnaire on how you would handle different situations.

If you pass those stages you'll be invited to an assessment day. You will be assessed on mechanical comprehension, maths, English and your ability of fault finding. You'll also take part in a group exercise.

Next stage is your interview, this should take place and the depot you've applied for.

Final stage is to have a medical.

S c o t t

Just back from my medical. Passed everything except there was a problem with my left ear on hearing test it was right at bottom of the chart at first so I asked for re test and it went up to about 3 quaters of the way up where as my right was at the top. So now I'm really nervous iv failed completely she sed it cud be a problem :/ I'm going for signals technician

robbo92

me too i had my medical on the 8th and it said i had a slight difference in hearing between my left and right ear i went to the doctors and got reffered to the ear nose and mouth clinic and am having to wait 4 an appointment im bricking it lol but my gp said its nothing serious fingers crossed ahaa

S c o t t

what does that mean for you then ? What was your score on hearing test ? My hearing is perfect I can hear everythin idk what's wrong :s I can't believe somethin like this is about ruin my career
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And what did network rail say ? Did they ring you a few days after ur medical or u find out there an then ?

kohibito

Thanks everyone for the information... I just want to make sure to be ready in case I pass the application. I would like to refresh my mind with all the maths and mechanicals before I do the second test (alway "IF" I pass the application).

It is a must for me... Looking forward to January now.

S c o t t

Gutted I failed my medical on hearing they rang me before. Going to my gp tomorrow as I had a hearing test not long ago and no for a fact I can pass that hearing test as I passed last time and my hearing is fine. Idk why I failed it tbh so so gutted if I fail re test that's the end of my hopes :(

S c o t t

Passed my medical made up they rang me before afta I'd failed hearing test an got a private test an they've sed iv passed :D

slick1989

first i didnt get the job n got put on the reserve list! they rang me today n said they will offer me the job. then rang back n said i need a C in gcse science. then he said my nvq will cover it. then he rang n said he'l let me tomorrow :/ fingers crossed!!!!!!

Rwhunited

first i didnt get the job n got put on the reserve list! they rang me today n said they will offer me the job. then rang back n said i need a C in gcse science. then he said my nvq will cover it. then he rang n said he'l let me tomorrow :/ fingers crossed!!!!!!

That must mean someone from your area has dropped out, good luck anyway :)

slick1989

i got the job :) jus gotta pass my medical now! wot type of things do u have to do for that????

Status
Not open for further replies.