• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rwhunited

Cheers mate! Take it u been to the open day? If so what's the living bit like?

Rooms, its alright, 2/4/6 people rooms... A wardrobe and a set of draws each, space under the bed for a case or whatever, I think it was 2 plug sockets to a person... Building is great, TV room, computer room, laundry room... Learning facilities are so good its untrue... Site is amazing, I can't describe how good the sports facilities are, you do a sport 99% chance you can do it there :)

alex

Can't believe I've only just found this forum - I applied for the scheme in March, had the assessment day on the 20th May in Watford, then had an interview at Woking on the 3rd August. I've been accepted for a signalling vacancy at Woking :lol: I'm now just waiting to do my medical next week.

I've been doing so much research on the scheme and I only found this forum last night! I'm so excited about this oppurtunity, it's going to be life changing for me! Is there anyone else here from the South East? One thing I can't seem to find any information about is whether there is any sort of internet connection available to us, do you think people who wanted internet would have to sort out there own access via a dongle or something?

Congratulations to everyone who has made it so far! Looking forward to meeting you all on the 10th! BTW is anyone here into weight training, as I'm gonna be hitting the gym hard when I get down there and could do with a training partner. :D

Hydro

Established Member
No internet in the rooms, unfortunately. There's an IT room, but it's subject to the NR IT policy i.e locked down machines and internet firewall. A dongle would be your best bet.

alex

:|I thought that'd be the case, was hoping not though. Oh well looks like I'll be getting myself a laptop and dongle with my first paycheck then!! :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh yeah btw, does anyone happen to know what the food's gonna be like down there?

S c o t t

Iv been to the open day and I was in the navy there was 2 showers per shower room ... Don't know how many per floor as navy had en suite an kitchen per 6 man rooom, NR is different. Food is decent have different food each night e.g curry night ect. But always options for ppl who dnt like tht partical nights theme. Cnt wait to gt year 1 done wiv :) looking forward to year 1 tho be soooo good. Laying off the drink tho until the nyts I'm at home its not worth the risk at all even wen not working sunday wud rather do work or go gym than drink its only 10 months what's the point ruinin a career fora few drinks

slick1989

anyone done the online tests as networkrail only emailed me today saying they had to be done by 12 tomorrow! has anyone got the link or know what i should do?

Dan_225

I have the same problem, have a password but no username :s did you recieve an Apprentice Data Form through the post?

t o m

anyone done the online tests as networkrail only emailed me today saying they had to be done by 12 tomorrow! has anyone got the link or know what i should do?

It says in the email that if you have any problems to contact Babcock directly, the number is 020 7355 5300.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have the same problem, have a password but no username :s did you recieve an Apprentice Data Form through the post?

Did yours arrive in the post? Mine was in an email.

Also, there is a web chat this evening, details should have been sent via email, useful if you have any questions or need some help.

slick1989

i rang network rail today they i should get the info by thursday and if not i should ring them up! give them a ring!!

kohibito

Hello everyone again, I was wondering, do you know what are the equivalent of the Gcse in Italy? Since I've done all my schools there (I'm Italian) but now I've been living in London for many many years.
Thanks in advance! :D

Lauren

Just a quick query about 2nd year apprentices. What are the visits back to sultan like ? I know you have to go for two weeks. So is the weekend all yours? Or like in the first year we had to work a Saturday morning for Ilm does this happen in second year when ur on two week visit?

Hydro

Established Member
Just a quick query about 2nd year apprentices. What are the visits back to sultan like ? I know you have to go for two weeks. So is the weekend all yours? Or like in the first year we had to work a Saturday morning for Ilm does this happen in second year when ur on two week visit?

No. It's Monday to Friday, 8-4 or thereabouts. The weekends are all yours.

You'll do railway specific technical courses, a mix of classroom learning, exams and practical exercises.

Lauren

Ok thanks. What are the trips like down in second year?? Boring or a laugh? So are u allowed to go home the following Friday u don't have to wait till the Sunday?

Hydro

Established Member
I thought they were OK. The days are like year 1 except you're learning useful stuff and there's less bullsh*t. The courses are very in depth though, and it's all safety critical stuff.

The accommodation is more relaxed, very much a "do your own thing" atmosphere. You can come and go as you please. And yes, you can go home straight away on the last Friday.

Hydro

Established Member
Don't worry, glad to help.

No curfew, by that time everyone's over 18. Railway drugs/alcohol policy applies as per usual, so take it easy on a weeknight and leave the crack pipe at home...I mean, no drugs. Ahem.

Hydro

Established Member
No, but I know of a few that did. They helped out with some relaying, and ended up in the PWI magazine.

Kieran123

hi,i've done the situational,numerical and mechanical comp tests on my laptop and have been invited to an assessment day,would i have to do all the tests again at the centre?

quak_C

at the assessment center there was 4 test a maths, engish, mechanical comprehension and a falt finding test not too difficult and dont rush them tho its more about getting the answers correct than answering them all
there is also a grop task where they look at your team skils and also leadership potential that is the only real place to shine as a person at the assessment day
lastly there is a colour blindness test and some admin to do and if your assessment day is at a NR training center you should get a tour and told a wee bit about some of the equipment if its at a hotel you dont really get as much

that was last year tho and they have changed it a bit i think so what i have said may not be completely accurate for this year

jon0844

Veteran Member
Fault finding test? I found fault with everything at my last job - but they didn't appreciate me telling them about it. :)

quak_C

Fault finding test? I found fault with everything at my last job - but they didn't appreciate me telling them about it. :)

its basically a simple signals type test its like 5 inputs with a different fucntion and one output and you have to say which input is not working

Kieran123

From reading the previous posts,why have i done the test at home when others have done every test at the assessment centre? Would i have to da a fault finding test aswell?

Rwhunited

Quac, the process is totally changed and as I said is exactly what is happening this year, NR felt the process was too long last year so this year they have done 2 tests at home and then 2 tests at the assessment center, also the interview is also at the assessment center.

Status
Not open for further replies.