• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Budget Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB57

That would be a fair argument if only designer clothes for silly money attracted VAT, but all clothes attract VAT at the same rate (unless you're small enough to fit into childrens clothes).

VAT is effectively a flat tax (and we wouldn't tolerate one of those on wages), which is why it's regressive.
The same rate, but not the same amount. It's the amount that matters, unless you are trying to make a point of course.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not to forget that in some countries rail fares are subject to VAT.
There's no VAT on air fares, but there is Air Passenger Duty.
It could be worse for rail.

Class 170101

Established Member
There's no VAT on air fares, but there is Air Passenger Duty.

And the Airline industry would like to be rid of that if Willie Walsh had his way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Id have a punt on Electric Spine getting culled and any thoughts of Derby Bristol too. Could even see E-W wires being "paused".

Back to CP5 / CP6
Electric Spine is a bit of farce. Should just wire Reading - Basingstoke (now part of GW programe I believe) and Oxford to Nuneaton via Coventry and New Street via Solihull and leave the bit south of Basingstoke.

I thought East - West Wires were secure as per Transport Secretary's statement last month?

I would also love to know how the Chancellor (and other senior political figures) think its acceptable to make public statements about things (eg Derby to Bristol), then appear to drop them quietly without consequences. Its little wonder politics and the political class are so discredited.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
And the Airline industry would like to be rid of that if Willie Walsh had his way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Back to CP5 / CP6
Electric Spine is a bit of farce. Should just wire Reading - Basingstoke (now part of GW programe I believe) and Oxford to Nuneaton via Coventry and New Street via Solihull and leave the bit south of Basingstoke.

I thought East - West Wires were secure as per Transport Secretary's statement last month?

I would also love to know how the Chancellor (and other senior political figures) think its acceptable to make public statements about things (eg Derby to Bristol), then appear to drop them quietly without consequences. Its little wonder politics and the political class are so discredited.

East-West is relatively secure, but time-scales are likely to change as a result of asset and personnel availability.

Derby to Bristol appraisal will appear in the updated Electrification RUS, if it ever appears.

Argosy

They did that a few years ago, only to find that the Isle of Wight alone needed twice as many generously paid MPs as it already had.

Cponsidering the Isle of Wight is the largest constituency by electoral size.... maybe they could cut a few inner city ones.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Is the Reading-Basingstoke electrification really 100% safe just because it's now part of the GWR electrification? Is it considered a "core" part of the GWR?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is the Reading-Basingstoke electrification really 100% safe just because it's now part of the GWR electrification? Is it considered a "core" part of the GWR?

Well it was built as a GWR branch line, even though it seems to have found itself in NR's Wessex route today.
I think it's safe. It was added as a necessary part of the Electric Spine, but it does have a separate business case as a regional/commuter connector.
It's case is at least as good as any of the Thames Valley branches.
Dual voltage services via Basingstoke also become possible, as well as cascading more DMUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.