• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail DBSOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver9000

Established Member
I saw one of the DBSOs out and about being pushed by a 31 in the Preston area on Tuesday, but didnt see which ones they were.

In the afternoon they headed north with the DBSO leading and came back later in the evening still with the DBSO leading. Can anyone confirm wether it was the same train and if so where was it turned round at?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't where it was turned but this was the same DBSO. At the moment there is only one out on test

It does something in and around Morecambe which may involve the Hest Bank-Bare Lane-Morecambe S Jn triangle (think that's right...route knowledge a bit hazy up there!).

P156KWJ

Established Member
I know there are test runs being put to/from Etches Park, as that is where they were overhauled

driver9000

Established Member
It does something in and around Morecambe which may involve the Hest Bank-Bare Lane-Morecambe S Jn triangle (think that's right...route knowledge a bit hazy up there!).

Thanks, that sounds plausible. It would be possible to turn a train round there.

Nym

Established Member
Nice to hear the DBSOs are being used for somthing useful, I thought it would have made sense to modify them and use them for WS&MR as they could do with the extra seats in the set and comparing a DVT to a DBSO the DVT is a bit of a waste of trackspace...

mbonwick

Established Member

Yes, that will be it. Hest Bank-Bare Lane-Morecambe S Jn triangle is correct.

driver9000

Established Member
could the DBSOs be fitted with AAR btw?

AAR?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nice to hear the DBSOs are being used for somthing useful, I thought it would have made sense to modify them and use them for WS&MR as they could do with the extra seats in the set and comparing a DVT to a DBSO the DVT is a bit of a waste of trackspace...

That would depend on how the DBSOs are wired up for multiple working. The Class 82/1 DVTs use the Time Division Multiplex (TDM) system, as W&SR are using MK3a and class 67s for their trains the DVTs may have been the better option for compatibility with the 67s.

I could be wrong, and Im preprared to be corrected by anyone who knows which MU system the DBSOs employed, when converted for use with the 47/7s

Nym

Established Member
The AAR is the Multiple working system used on the 59, 66, 67 locos, the DVTs have had to be modified to run on AAR, so I was wondering if the same could be done with the DBSOs and gain another 30ish seats

There is a significant step change in comfort between a Mark 2 and a Mark 3 coach! WSMR are going for the more luxurious of the two...

Mr 9000, the DBSO's originally had the early type TDM as fitted to the Scottish shove duffs but on coming down to Anglia, were modified with (generally speaking) the later type as fitted to the Mk3 DVTs. The EWS DVT (and the WSMR ones to come) have been modified with AAR (American Association of Railroads) type control - was deemed easier to do it that way rather than try and retro-fit TDM onto the 67s.

driver9000

Established Member
There is a significant step change in comfort between a Mark 2 and a Mark 3 coach! WSMR are going for the more luxurious of the two...

Mr 9000, the DBSO's originally had the early type TDM as fitted to the Scottish shove duffs but on coming down to Anglia, were modified with (generally speaking) the later type as fitted to the Mk3 DVTs. The EWS DVT (and the WSMR ones to come) have been modified with AAR (American Association of Railroads) type control - was deemed easier to do it that way rather than try and retro-fit TDM onto the 67s.

Thanks for clearing that up!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.