• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Enthusiast Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucaZone

yorkie said:
I think it is unfortunate that the topic keeps getting brought up, as it only leads to arguments.
As far as I and many others on this forumsee it, only you seem to have any issues with this topic. Everyone else is perfectly fine with accepting that in order to have a hassle free time carrying out our hobby, there are a few 'guidelines' worth following.

It is you who keeps bring this topic into a negative light by continually claiming dooms day to train photography when the railway asks that we abide by a few simple 'guidelines' that make their jobs easier.

Such activity, whether related to the forum or not, SHOULD NOT in my oppinion be carried out by a moderator! As stated previously, the point of a moderator is to moderate and maintain, not CAUSE the issues that need to be moderated........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Here we go again...Take this sort of moaning to UKTS, it doesn't belong here!
[EDIT]
LucaZone said:
Arent the mod team suppose to be united on decisions and directions forward, for the good of the users who visit? :)

Bollocks.

Such an idea reminds me of the annoying brats in Codename: Kids Next Door, the one that do the same thing, say the same thing...I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

My point is to have to share the same views as someone else just because they're in the same team as you, pah. That sounds like an idea a Political Correctness Officer would come up with! Forum wise, yes, fair enough, that's a different matter. But on matters like this, that's moving towards dictatorship. This emoticon comes in handy right now: :faroah:

Take your moaning to UKTS as I suggested earlier, this forum doesn't want it, doesn't need it and doesn't deserve it.

T

Tom

I have a POV regarding this too - but yorkie is putting HIS point of view forward.

If yorkie was talking on behalf of the staff, he would say... on behalf of the staff here, etc, etc.

LucaZone

WSXFan said:
Here we go again...Take this sort of moaning to UKTS, it doesn't belong here!
Sanity check then: Agreeing with the opening statement of this topic, to abide by 'guidelines' setout in best interest of everyone at the station, and encouraging friendly attitudes in our hobby - is considered moaning.

And being argumentative with other forum members, openly disagreeing with motives of other moderators, and setting a continual bad tone on the same subject - is ok behaviour?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Lucazone, at the end of the day, if people don't want to follow the guidelines then leave them to it. It's them who won't get the shot they want if and when somebody does moan at them.

I'm pretty sure that the instances of moaning from station staff (including contracted security and cleaning staff) and any arguments between enthusiasts and staff on the subject are low enough not to give enthusiasts in general a bad name, so there shouldn't be too much reason to worry about that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LucaZone said:
As far as I and many others on this forumsee it, only you seem to have any issues with this topic. Everyone else is perfectly fine with accepting that in order to have a hassle free time carrying out our hobby, there are a few 'guidelines' worth following.
Is this really so? I've never witnessed any enthusiast announce themselves to the duty manager when arriving at a station, so it's not just me.
LucaZone said:
It is you who keeps bring this topic into a negative light by continually claiming dooms day to train photography when the railway asks that we abide by a few simple 'guidelines' that make their jobs easier.
I claim what, and where?

And again, why do you mention photography specifically? That's just one section. (Sorry to repeat myself but...)
LucaZone said:
Such activity, whether related to the forum or not, SHOULD NOT in my oppinion be carried out by a moderator!
What activity, exactly?
LucaZone said:
As stated previously, the point of a moderator is to moderate and maintain, not CAUSE the issues that need to be moderated........
I cause what?!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
LucaZone said:
Sanity check then: Agreeing with the opening statement of this topic, to abide by 'guidelines' setout in best interest of everyone at the station, and encouraging friendly attitudes in our hobby - is considered moaning.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I was referring to your complaining about one member of forum staff in particular. I have not seen what yorkie has done to justify the complaints you have posted.

Go back to UKTS and tell buffy500 about it all...

Mintona

Established Member
I'm with Yorkie and WSXFan here, have you actually ever gone and asked permission LucaZone? I havn't, and I don't know anyone who has. Does this mean you are meant to phone the station when you've departed to tell them you've gone?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Just to add to this, I personally have never informed a member of staff of my presence, and have never had any kind of problem with staff either (with the exception of the grumpy sod at Rugby who got a bit shirty after somebody's shoelace crept onto the yellow line, continuing to moan about something or other and threatening to call the police and have us removed for the entire 20 minuts or so that we were waiting for our train). That said, unless I was at a station specifically to take photo's (i.e I wasn't just waiting for a train and happening to take the odd photo or 2 whilst I was there), I probably wouldn't bother trying to argue my point if I was told to stop. If it happened somewhere where I'd gone specifically to take photos however, I probably would put up some form of an argument and/or ask to speak to the duty manager there and then.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rugby is funny. The yellow lines are the furthest from the platform I've ever seen, and are further than the knobbly bits that warn blind people when they are getting near the edge. So, if you are blind you can get closer to the edge before you realise... how does that make sense?

Of course, the yellow lines indicate that it's a fast line... normally. But not at Rugby! it's a platform loop. Not even a goods line, let alone a fast line. It makes no sense.

I also witnessed someone being shouted at for smoking. At that time there were no signs indicating that. I'm not pro-smoking at all but they were dealt with very harshly given the lack of signs.

Someone else was shouted at for putting one foot on the yellow line. And yes, I do mean shouted at. The guy looked around in disbelief as he couldn't believe it was him being told off.

But that's Rugby for you.

TicketMan

How many times has this subject got to come up and degenerate into an argument? I always ask permission at mainline stations. It is simple common courtousy. Why be arseholes over it?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TicketMan said:
My camera didn't leave my bag ;)
What has a camera got to do with it? The photography section is just one part of it. You are asked to report to reception regardless.

LucaZone

There are mature oppinions on this subject, and immature oppinions on this subject. The bottom line is that anyone who follows the recommended guidelines is unlikely to suffer any issues, and those that wish to ignore recommendations will undoubtedly continue to post on here about how rude station staff can be.

I know which group I stand in, as do most others I think.

The continuation of this subject seems to revolve around Party A questioning why Party B feels so disgusted at being asked to declare their intentions to station staff. Which then degenerates into flaming each other - pointless!

WSXfan - You appear to be claiming that I am in breach of Forum Rule 1b, however I am pretty sure it is fueled by a personal vendetta over me, rather than anything substantial. However incase its true, I appologise for such and did not intent to lower my tone of response in this topic.

However, your responses concerning my potential breach of Forum Rule 1b, actual result in you breaching Forum Rule 1c, where by any member who feels another member is in breach of any forum rules, must bring the matter to the attention of a moderator, and no act as a 'back seat moderator' themselves.

So it would appear that we are both in the wrong!....:D

However may I ask that you no longer direct posts at me regarding your oppinions of my participation on this forum. I have recieved no request to restrict my participation, and any further action from yourself will be considered personal abuse (Forum Rule 1b), and duely reported.

devon_metro

Established Member
Thing is, in the rules it doesn't insist that you must tell the staff, so therefore i feel no need!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LucaZone said:
There are mature oppinions on this subject, and immature oppinions on this subject. The bottom line is that anyone who follows the recommended guidelines is unlikely to suffer any issues, and those that wish to ignore recommendations will undoubtedly continue to post on here about how rude station staff can be.

I know which group I stand in, as do most others I think.
I don't think it's as clear-cut as that at all.

And I know for a fact that many of the "You should sign in" people do not actually sign in, and some people are unwilling to say this as they fear a backlash.

Others are not prepared to admit they don't sign in because they don't want the aggro they may get from the pro sign-in guys.

But let's not forget, this signing thing is applicable to all enthusiasts according to those guidelines - regardless of whether you have a camera or not.
LucaZone said:
I don't think it's as black and white as that at all.
The continuation of this subject seems to revolve around Party A questioning why Party B feels so disgusted at being asked to declare their intentions to station staff. Which then degenerates into flaming each other - pointless!
I've been flamed on this subject in the past, but there doesn't seem to be any flaming going on now. I do agree that would be pointless.

Ben

I agree that these are only Guidelines.

If NR wanted them to bo Rules they would call them Rules, They obviously Dont want them to be Strict Rules.

h.g.wells

I agree that these are only Guidelines.

If NR wanted them to bo Rules they would call them Rules, They obviously Dont want them to be Strict Rules.

I have to say I agree with those who challenge station staff when they perceive that an injustice is being done.

The problem with these guidelines is that some of the station staff do not observe them. During the summer I regularly went to Liverpool Lime Street on Wednesday afternoons to photograph the DRS class 37s on the NMT. Given the strong presence of NR staff (the ones wearing those blue jackets) I'd ask them if I could take some photos. The supervisor recognised me from previous visits and told me to make myself at home - even coming over to tell me the train had been re-platformed. However, his staff gave different reactions when he wasn't on - one said there was no problem with me taking photographs, another made me sign an indemnity form and have a safety briefing and wear a pass. Whilst another made me wear a pass, have a safety briefing, sign an indemnity form, then proceeded to ask me if I worked on the railway - as if I didn't then I could not stay...

I also had an incident involving a security guard at Stafford a few weeks ago when taking the photo that I use as my avatar. That nuclear flask train is not booked to stop at Stafford - however that night it was held there. The driver, also being a friend of mine stopped it in a good place for me to get a photo. The security guard thinking that I had something to do with the train being held phoned, the powerbox to see whether it was me who had requested it - with the intention of taking action against me. When he also found out that I had published the image on my website, he was not happy because I had not asked his permission to publish it when you can see him in the photo.
Just to clarify: I did not have the train held - due to trains being diverted onto the fast line north of the station, the 37s were held to allow a northbound Pendolino to proceed first. Also, my understanding of rules on publishing images is that it does not matter if an individual can be seen in the background - it is only if you wrote some detrimental comment about them that it becomes an issue.

Such pedantic actions don't exactly help in creating respect for these people and these guidelines will do more harm than good because it gives these little Hitlers the green light to start questioning our presence at certain stations.

Stan Cooke

Hey guys - as a new member reading all this I think I've lost the will to live . . . !

Surely, if we all aim to stick to the guidelines we might do the enthusiast fraternity a service and, yes, there's always going to be the 'jobsworths' around (or just normal folk having a bad day), but we've just got to be mature - deal with them philosophically and basically go along with what they instruct.

Old Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.