• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Enthusiast Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
You may wish to have a read through the official Network Rail Guidelines for rail enthusiasts. There is also a link to the bye-laws on the webpage. Network Rail suggest printing it out and taking it with you when you are on the network.

The link to the guidelines is http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LucaZone

It is also worth noting that the very last section states that occasionally you may be asked by station staff to move or even leave the station altogether.
"Please follow these instructions with good will as staff have many things to consider, including the safety and security of all passengers, and are authorised to use judgement in this regard"

Thus arguing with station staff, concerning the allowance of photography is NOT acceptable, even to Network Rail, regardless of the situation.

The Gricer

LucaZone said:
Thus arguing with station staff, concerning the allowance of photography is NOT acceptable, even to Network Rail, regardless of the situation.

Yes, I think we already know your views on the subject and I'm not going to get drawn into a pointless argument on this as we've already had that elsewhere, but it doesn't change my opinion of certain contract security staff who will always insist you can't take pictures because "it's not allowed" simply because they have the power to say it, regardless of whether a "situation" exists or not.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should argue with station staff in general, indeed there is usually no need to as the vast majority don't seem to mind, and any that do are usually polite and informative on such matters. (For instance they might direct you to where you can get the necessary permission etc). It's just these power crazy, jumped up security types who seem unable to say anything other than "because it's not allowed", (when of course generally speaking it is allowed), that get up my nose.

Frank

Techniquest

Veteran Member
When I remember to, I'll print these off. I've got to find some pieces of paper that are useable though.

As for the security guards, I'm not getting into that. I do agree most staff are very helpful though! They don't understand what trainspotting is (it took a bit of explaning to the platform staff members at Liverpool Street last time!), but hey, it would be the same for their hobbies no doubt! I daresay we'd not understand the pleasure in their hobbies either!

The Snap

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I do agree most staff are very helpful though! They don't understand what trainspotting is (it took a bit of explaning to the platform staff members at Liverpool Street last time!), but hey, it would be the same for their hobbies no doubt! I daresay we'd not understand the pleasure in their hobbies either!

Me too. However, I have seen videos of station staff who moaned (Jordy will tell you more as it is his video! :razz:) about taking pictures.
When I visit London on the 25th July, I will make sure I let the desk know that I am there, and I should be OK, shouldn't I?

Thanks,

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rich said:
I will make sure I let the desk know that I am there, and I should be OK, shouldn't I?

Thanks,
You should announce your arrival before you enter the platform at all stations go to, apparently.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd love to see that done at Pilning...I'll yell to a passing HST driver 'Is it alright if I take photos or film trains here?' shall I? :lol:

TicketMan

Here we go again...

As usual, 90% of people are perfectly reasonable, yet 10% of people, i.e. Yorkie and co :roll: have to be difficult and arguementative. As usual, I suppose this post will be removed because I dare to challenge the almighty admin/mod teams view... :notworth:

Coxster

Established Member
WSXFan said:
I'd love to see that done at Pilning...I'll yell to a passing HST driver 'Is it alright if I take photos or film trains here?' shall I? :lol:
If the station is not staffed then no-one is going to have a problem with you photographing/filming are they...?

Met Driver

Established Member
TicketMan said:
As usual, I suppose this post will be removed because I dare to challenge the almighty admin/mod teams view... :notworth:

Do you even know what my view on this is? This is what annoys me. One member of staff puts his view across, and it's taken to represent the view of all the staff combined. Where's the fairness in that?

TicketMan

Seth said:
Do you even know what my view on this is? This is what annoys me. One member of staff puts his view across, and it's taken to represent the view of all the staff combined. Where's the fairness in that?

I never suggested that you hold the same views as Yorkie. I was merely referring to the fact that every time it kicks off, it's a member of the 'staff' who is involved.

Read into that what you want.

Regarding the topic in question, I have NEVER been refused permission to take photographs - not even in London. I have been asked to stand clear of the edge but thats about it.

I have only been asked to stop once - that was at Cholsey near Didcot, where thinking the station was unstaffed we went straight to the platform, and were challenged cos we were spotted on CCTV. However, because I accept the authority of railway staff, who are concerned about saftey etc (125mph linespeed etc) I didn't argue...

As I've pointed out before (the arguement got turned around then as I recall) the job can be difficult enough without anally retentive trainspotters claiming their civil liberties are being eroded...

Ce la vie... or something...

Met Driver

Established Member
TicketMan said:
As usual, I suppose this post will be removed because I dare to challenge the almighty admin/mod teams view...

Surely you can see where I'm coming from?

TicketMan

Ok fair enough - I'll change it to read thusly:

'...I dared to challenge the view of a member or members of the almighty admin/mod team'

I can't find that bowing down smilie though :(

Met Driver

Established Member
TicketMan said:
I can't find that bowing down smilie though :(

No need to bow down - all I ask is that you be a bit more considerate when pointing the finger of blame in future. ;)

notworthy.gif

The Snap

Established Member
I have to say that some of the rules are little pathetic, however, all must be abided by I guess. When I am in London, I will ensure I ask at the main desk or something, but one would assume there would be no problem...

devon_metro

Established Member
I never ask, never had a problem either, few of the staff were out to see the Northern Bell at Newton Abbot today aswell! With cams!

Jim

Established Member
I have no problems, Pete Jobson (area station manager) is a ned, was out to fot Tangmere last week

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
dvn1357 said:
I never ask, never had a problem either, few of the staff were out to see the Northern Bell at Newton Abbot today aswell! With cams!
How dare you! OK, so you have not broken any byelaws but you still deserve a week in jail for that act of defiance! ;)

By the way if you consider NR to be too 'stubborn' on this you can always 'strike' by not adhering to the exact conditions of the guidelines ;)

(Serious point though: we should all always keep within the law, and some - though by no means all - of the guidelines are law)

Sprog

Established Member
Seth said:

well maybe yorkie shouldnt be so irresponsible as to represent the 'staff' with such stubboern and argumentative views....

Maybe you should be bo**ocking him aswell?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sprog said:
well maybe yorkie shouldnt be so irresponsible as to represent the 'staff' with such stubboern and argumentative views....

Maybe you should be bo**ocking him aswell?
I don't represent staff, and which views are stubborn and argumentative, exactly?

LucaZone

A quality assumed of a Moderator to a forum is that they portray the ability to be impartial. The point of this topic is to illustrate what the rules are concerning taking photographs and other data related to trains, at Railway Stations.

So it can be rather confusing for one mod to be actively promoting such rules in order to reduce any problems that fellow enthusiasts might encounter, while another mod is seen rediculing them with claims of injustice to public liberties.

Arent the mod team suppose to be united on decisions and directions forward, for the good of the users who visit? :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LucaZone said:
A quality assumed of a Moderator to a forum is that they portray the ability to be impartial. The point of this topic is to illustrate what the rules are concerning taking photographs and other data related to trains, at Railway Stations.
The "rules" are guidelines and photography is just one part of them.
LucaZone said:
So it can be rather confusing for one mod to be actively promoting such rules in order to reduce any problems that fellow enthusiasts might encounter, while another mod is seen rediculing them with claims of injustice to public liberties.
They are not even rules, but I think you are exaggerating this a lot.
LucaZone said:
Arent the mod team suppose to be united on decisions and directions forward, for the good of the users who visit? :)
We can express our own opinions.

I think it is unfortunate that the topic keeps getting brought up, as it only leads to arguments.

Met Driver

Established Member
LucaZone said:

United on forum related issues, yes. But as yorkie says, that doesn't mean mods are not free to express their own opinion when it comes to non-forum stuff such as this.

Personally I sympathise with both sides in this debate. On the one hand I'm a rail enthusiast who likes to take photos on stations. On the other hand I'm gonna be working on the Underground come September in a position which will involve working with customers some of the time, and I'd like to think they're gonna do as they're told when I'm dealing with them. I can't win can I? :lol:

Lewisham2221

Established Member
At the end of the day, these guidelines are just that...guidelines. They don't say that you must inform the duty manager or station staff, they simply advise you to. Therefore, if you wish to take photos or whatever, without informing the staff, you are perfectly entitled to do so - but if you're asked/told to stop and/or move on, you should do so. If you do advise the station staff/duty manager of your presence and they agree that it is fine, then at least you've got a fairly valid reason for telling any jobsworth cleaner or security guard to sod off when they try to tell you that you can't take pictures.

Daniel

Established Member
On a London meet on Saturday with Class 313, we spent approx. 1 hr at Kings Cross Mainline near the loco sidings, watching 3 HST's leave.

When deciding to head home, we thought we'd get a few pics of the Hull Train's unit over by the barriers.

As went went over there, a member of the station staff came runnign over to us saying: 'No, no! You cant take photos here! You have been photoing here long time and you not allowed!' (If we weren't allowed, why were we allowed through the bording queue when I said we weren't getting on the train, we were just taking Pictures...

Louise T from Auran Trainz then came over; she had also been told to stop photoing. She told us to wait with her and 2 other men, we did so: Security was called.

Louise starting fighting her case when the security guard when he showed up. The security guard told the member of station staff that we were allowed to take Picrues, we just weren't allowed to Film.

With this, he came over to Tom and me, and ignoring us, pointed to my camera, and said: 'He has a Camcorder,' and then at Tom's, saying 'He has a camcorder.'

Without saying a word to us, he went back to the conversation with Louise and the security guard. I then went over and said: 'Excuse me, this isn't a camcorder, its a camera' This resulted in the Station Staff member shouting in my FACE, saying: Was I talking to you? NO! You had your chance to talk to me (which we didn't have) and you didn't so go over there and shut up!

I did as I was told.... in the end, the Security Guard told the member of Station Staff that we were doing nothing wrong as we were only photographing. With that we took our pictures and left, wondering what had just happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.