• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail HST NMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No I didn't know about whenever I've seen it (which is surprisingly often I wonder sometimes if it's following me around).

sprinterguy

Established Member
As far as the East Coast main line run is concerned, the NMT has a regular fixed path on a weekly basis that is well known to many enthusiasts along the route. I believe that this is similar for the other routes that the NMT operates; it has a fixed rotation schedule although not all routes are covered on a weekly basis. For this reason the NMT is usually a lot easier to predict than other test runs which appear to run on a more ad-hoc basis and cover lines more intermittently.

Other than that, I would suggest signing up to or buying a copy of Freightmaster which provides details of the NMTs' times.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Other than that, I would suggest signing up to or buying a copy of Freightmaster which provides details of the NMTs' times.
Thanks for the plug, but only the most stable/regular NMT paths
are listed in the Freightmaster timetables because over 50% of
its moves are one offs/iregular workings these days.

Regarding Chesterfield, it passes through there around 09:25 most Saturdays,
heading north from Derby to Heaton.

MARK

Alternating

As far as the East Coast main line run is concerned, the NMT has a regular fixed path on a weekly basis that is well known to many enthusiasts along the route. I believe that this is similar for the other routes that the NMT operates; it has a fixed rotation schedule although not all routes are covered on a weekly basis. For this reason the NMT is usually a lot easier to predict than other test runs which appear to run on a more ad-hoc basis and cover lines more intermittently.

The NMT surveys the main line network over a two-week pattern. It's regular presumably because being hauled by an HST, it can run with main traffic and doesn't interfere.

The slower stuff (UTUs, RSCs, TIC, MENTOR etc) get in the way of "normal" traffic so have to be specifically arranged to avoid interference. Plus with the Ultrasonics only recording at 30mph, it takes them a while to do their thing so I'd imagine their "pattern" (if they have one) will be much, much bigger than NMT and so they won't appear nearly as often in any one place (other than in Derby!).

Hydro

Established Member
TIC, MENTOR and TRC can all do 100mph when transit or testinG, formation depending, normally 90 due to running with 90mph locos. All can run as Class 1. The NMT runs in the WTT because it does predictable, regular and dull mainline routes. The rest do not, and are STP trains - hence unpredictability.

UTU are indeed very slow, due to the 30mph restriction when testing because of the RSU equipment in contact with the railhead. They normally run at night because of this. SGT is also limited when testing, to 50mph.

Alternating

TIC, MENTOR and TRC can all do 100mph when transit or testinG, formation depending, normally 90 due to running with 90mph locos. All can run as Class 1. The NMT runs in the WTT because it does predictable, regular and dull mainline routes. The rest do not, and are STP trains - hence unpredictability.

UTU are indeed very slow, due to the 30mph restriction when testing because of the RSU equipment in contact with the railhead. They normally run at night because of this. SGT is also limited when testing, to 50mph.

Hmmm....I'd always though they were amongst the slower stuff. Duly educated!!

NMT is at Heaton over the weekend if anyone is curious.

Hydro

Established Member
They are certainly more at the mercy of loco hauled stock restrictions, but don't really get in the way very much. All that *should* be worked out at the planning stage anyway.

ANDYS

I have to agree with Freightmaster. I nearly always see this at Whit Moor roundabout (local Chesterfield 'landmark') at 09:25 on a Saturday. My daughter is normally in the back of the car completely uninterested whilst my son makes me go round the roundabaout one last time with his camera out of the window seeing the train again!

Andy S

Status
Not open for further replies.