• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Interview- Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernUser

Hi all

I have been invited for an interview following my recent application for Station Control Assistant with Network Rail- the interview is competency based- I just wondered if anyone had any ideas what sort of questions I might expect at the interview?

I did some research which suggested a sound understanding of Network Rail's safety campaigns / rules would be beneficial, but any other ideas about what else they could ask in terms of competencies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pav

The NR interviews normally follow a set patter:

First they'll ask you to tell them about yourself, your motivation for the job, why you think you'll be a good fit etc, and maybe even about your understanding of the job.

Next will be the Non-technical skills (have a look at the NR website for the NTS that NR consider and prepare scenarios that fit them) capability questions and you should answer them using STAR - Situation, Task, Action, Result. Think along the line of, "Can you tell me about a time you have had to work under pressure?". They may also ask follow up questions such as What strategies do you have for working under pressure etc.

Internally there is sometimes a technical question or two, but I don't know if they include this when they go external.

Lastly there's usually a question about safety. It would be worth reading about NR's safety vision, and the facilities in place to promote this. You should be able to find all that info on the safety section of the NR website.

To finish they will ask you if you have any questions for them. It would be worth having something prepared as it shows you have thought about the job and prepared for the interview.

This is based on my own experience of internal interviews so things might be different if you're external, but I hope it helps! :=)

CJK64

Thank you very much to you both for your responses - that's really useful information. :)

Also, read up about the life saving rules and also Network Rails safety vision - which is everyone home safe every day.

NorthernUser

Update- I thought the interview went badly, but apparently not as they rang up shortly afterwards to offer me the job! :D

Thank you so much to everyone who offered suggestions- the key bits around safety, and why this is important were a really useful tip- I memorised most of the statistics and the lifesaving rules, which I think stood me in good stead.

They said it can take weeks for Network Rail to do their HR work, so I won't be starting for a few months yet- does anyone else have any experience of the likely timescales for a start date?

CJK64

Update- I thought the interview went badly, but apparently not as they rang up shortly afterwards to offer me the job! :D

Thank you so much to everyone who offered suggestions- the key bits around safety, and why this is important were a really useful tip- I memorised most of the statistics and the lifesaving rules, which I think stood me in good stead.

They said it can take weeks for Network Rail to do their HR work, so I won't be starting for a few months yet- does anyone else have any experience of the likely timescales for a start date?

I recentLy recruited 4 new starters and it took 14 weeks. I am also currently in the process of 3 more new starters and have a start date which will take 6 weeks.
It can be pushed through if your hiring manager keeps on to on-boarding.

ps - congratulations on your new post..

Status
Not open for further replies.