• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail: Line Blockage Assistant & Information Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

Hi everyone,

I've just applied for two jobs with Network Rail for Line Blockage Assistant and Information Coordinator, both based in Derby.

They both sound like really interesting roles but they are both FTC. I just wondered if anyone knows why they are FTC?

Like I say I've applied anyway but I would be reluctant to leave my current, permanent job for something that will end in less than a year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I've just applied for two jobs with Network Rail for Line Blockage Assistant and Information Coordinator, both based in Derby.

They both sound like really interesting roles but they are both FTC. I just wondered if anyone knows why they are FTC?

Like I say I've applied anyway but I would be reluctant to leave my current, permanent job for something that will end in less than a year.
I could be wrong here, but I’ve not heard of either job before, so maybe they’re newly introduced roles and as such are FTC until they decide whether to make it a permanent post (to see if the role works for the business for example).

Amanda

Thanks, @Stigy. Suspect you may be right! The same job title of Line Blockage Assistant is being advertising in different locations and, having looked at a couple, they all seem to be fixed term contract. Interesting.

I think having a job involving the word "blockage" could be quite amusing to my mates. :E

SilentGrade

Hi everyone,

information coordinator is a role that already exists in several controls around the country but is being introduced to derby. FTC pending ideas on whether it can be permanently implemented long term and in what guise

Amanda

Hey everyone,

I have been invited to interview for the Line Blockage Assistant position. The interview is at Mercia House and I just wondered if anyone knows what is based there, versus what is based at the EMCC?

I've fired an email off to Recruitment to ask if that's where the job is based or just where the interview will be held, but thought I'd see if any of you guys are in the know.

I live in Nottingham and would be commuting by public transport, it would make a huge difference to my commute if it were at Mercia House as it's not as easy to get to as the EMCC. It may not even be worth me going to the interview if so.

thecrofter

As it's NR's Maintenance depot I'd say that's where the job would be located. The EMCC as a Signalling Control Centre doesn't have resident run of the mill (no disrespect) maintenance staff as far as I'm aware.

Amanda

As it's NR's Maintenance depot I'd say that's where the job would be located. The EMCC as a Signalling Control Centre doesn't have resident run of the mill (no disrespect) maintenance staff as far as I'm aware.

Thanks, no offence taken, don't worry. 8-) I suspect you are probably right on this one, Recruitment have forwarded my question to the hiring manager.

The job is worth doing if at the EMCC, which is a short walk from the train station (still a 90-minute journey each way, a commute I have done before), and of course I would have the benefit of the season ticket discount which would make it far cheaper than the public transport is in Nottingham City. But Mercia House is not easily accessible from the train station and instead the recommended routing is by bus, which would take the journey to 2hrs+ and makes the cost about what I am paying now. The pay is about the same as what I am on now, and as it's currently FTC I can't even say it would be worth me buying a car to bring the commute down to normal levels.

I did wonder when I applied, and figured I'd worry about that if I got to, well, this point. :lol:

thecrofter

Thanks, no offence taken, don't worry. 8-) I suspect you are probably right on this one, Recruitment have forwarded my question to the hiring manager.

The job is worth doing if at the EMCC, which is a short walk from the train station (still a 90-minute journey each way, a commute I have done before), and of course I would have the benefit of the season ticket discount which would make it far cheaper than the public transport is in Nottingham City. But Mercia House is not easily accessible from the train station and instead the recommended routing is by bus, which would take the journey to 2hrs+ and makes the cost about what I am paying now. The pay is about the same as what I am on now, and as it's currently FTC I can't even say it would be worth me buying a car to bring the commute down to normal levels.

I did wonder when I applied, and figured I'd worry about that if I got to, well, this point. :lol:

I guess it can be a deal breaker for some when railway work places / depots aren't directly or easily accessible by rail. In the main, NR depots are near local stations (some even with direct authorised walkways) but Derby's is a fair trek from the main line station. When I worked at the RTC (as was) in Deadmans Lane that really was a pain to walk from the Station all along London Road particularly in the bad weather. Good luck with your endeavours.

Jay_123

Hello amanda, given the position advertised, I don’t think it will be based at EMCC. LBA don’t really fall under operations where as information co-ordinator does. Don’t take my word for it just be prepared.

“These roles will facilitate and provide enhanced Line Blockage coordination within the Delivery Units and will maintain a proactive line of communication between the Requestor, the S&EW Project and the Route Planning Team”

Sounds like mercia house to me

Rammie

Just FYI I used to do some work at Mercia House. I also used to get the train to Derby. The walk from Derby train station was only around 30 minutes, through Pride Park. But I was summer when I was there so the walk didn’t seem to bad.

Amanda

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your replies, they've all been very helpful!

Unfortunately I've withdrawn from the application. I was very tempted to go to the interview, to see what it was like as much as anything else, but I can't realistically do the commute.

@Rammie, thanks for letting me know about that about the walk. I had seen that on Google Maps and wondered about it, it's good to know it's quite nice, in summer at least.

I am fortunate to live in a town with its own train station (Hucknall), however this means it's not as straightforward a commute as it would be if coming from, say, Beeston. At best it would be 2hrs each way, and even then it depends on what hours I'd be working and means that finishing at 5pm would mean getting home around 7pm. I also cannot (and shouldn't) rely on the possibility of getting a lift from a colleague.

If it were a permanent job rather than FTC (and yes I know it is subject to review and probably will go permanent), I would probably at least go to the interview and then if I got the job I would start off on public transport with a view to getting a car.

I have applied for other roles which, on reflection, are likely to be based at Mercia House, so if the opportunity arises again I can give it a go.

It's hard because it could have been my gateway into the railway industry, and that is the only circumstance that *was* guaranteed to be positive.... However taking everything else into consideration - the commute, the fact the travel costs would not change from my current job, the salary is about the same as my current job (although possibly up to a couple of grand more), the hours may not be what I want them to be, the fact it's not a permanent job... It would be madness to pursue it. But I am also aware that at some point I'll have to take that gamble - unfortunately this may not be the time for that, but like I say I am open to the possibility of it for other roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.