• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail - Lumberjacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day, we recieved a letter from network rail (sadly not saying they want to sign me on for being such a great driver on simulators :()
It went something like this:

Dear neighbour,
We will be doing servicing work on your local line (Hebden Bridge - Normanton or Northallerton or something)
This will involve clearing of any excess plants such as tree's shrubs bushes and flowers. Any plantation within 1 metre of the two lines will be removed.

To avoid delays on the line we will be doing this servicing between 23:00 - 09:00

The following dates are when this will take place:

(load of dates)

As we understand this takes place during the night, we will try to keep noise down to a minimum but please expect some noise pollution.

Regards,
Someone from somewhere.

Oh dear :( how will I sleep?? :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

One thing I forgot to add in the post was they said the removing was due to drivers finding it hard to see the aspects on the signals.

someone must of made a woopsie once too often :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
It's a bit of a lose - lose situation: they have to cut the greenery down, if they do it in the day people will moan about there being no service, if they do it overnight people will moan about the noise. Though I don't have any sympathy with people who buy a house next to a railway line, probarbly get it cheap because of that, and then moan about the noise...

TheSlash

Established Member
They probably can't do the work under traffic. Because they have a 10 hour block, expect more than vegetation control, ie, changing rails, sleeper changes, ballast drops, S&T work, digging wetbeds with machines, etc etc

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sensible that.

But it does remind me of a TV programme where a woman complained about the 'noise' from trams nearby. She was asked if she was told the trams were nearby when she bought the house, she admitted she did, so why she had right to complain I don't know...Stupid bloody plonkers sometimes people are...

DescendingSadly, lucky you having 60s running nearby! Can I swap houses with you? ;)

I saw that, she was literally going insane wasn't she?

I know that I live near a railway, I do expect noise, Just kind of hoped it wouldn't be midnight :(

As for when they start, I could have a pop down durng the day to see if they are dropping any ballast off.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DescendingSadly said:
This will involve clearing of any excess plants such as tree's shrubs bushes and flowers. Any plantation within 1 metre of the two lines will be removed.

I hope Network Rail wouldn't resort to such use of an apostrophe :P :roll: ;)

Tomnick

Established Member
Engineers' Line Reference for that section is MVN (Manchester Victoria - Normanton) - I'm not entirely sure how this is sub-divided (Quail seems a bit misleading!), but I'd suspect that one section (of two?) is roughly Hebden Bridge - Normanton, to fit with the LNE/Midland zone boundary west of Hebden Bridge.

Craig

Established Member
I recieved one of those letters last week too. Luckily the work was taking place on Saturday night and by the time I got home at half 2 they work had already passed my house :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.