• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail on-track jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephorium

Hi, I have been trying to get a job on track with network rail for months and don't seem to be getting anywhere. I make it to the "under consideration for assessment 2" stage. Sometimes i can be on this stage for months just to receive an email saying i was unsuccessful due to not meeting the desired criteria. I have rang network rail and they always say that there was a more suitable candidate. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of being accepted. I have no previous rail experience but all job adverts say no experience needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
Volunteer railway, give some time in return for a PTS. (Not sure if they still do). I'm not that into railways or have the time to go out labouring after a weeks work, but would consider it if I was unemployed, that PTS can get you into agency work and then a foot in the door should you work with Network Rail staff.
Failing that, try marrying or become related to a Railway Family it certainly appears to help around my area.

alex17595

You will have much more luck getting in with an agency first who will put you through your PTS and allow you to get some experience.

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
You will have much more luck getting in with an agency first who will put you through your PTS and allow you to get some experience.
Agencies can offer construction jobs if you have a CSCS card. These are easier/cheaper to obtain I don't know if the testing centers are still open(they usually share the written driving test sites). I suspect the trick is to find a building site agency, that also works on railway jobs, stick that job out and then they will keep you on and put you through the PTS when they need you on that site. They aren't likely to risk the cost of a PTS and see you jack it in after 3 days if they hardly know you or you've done little similar.

One trick that computerisation should have eliminated from the agency taking back the PTS Card at the end of a job proclaiming it belonged to them and thus stopping you working for a rival Contractor, which happened to me at the turn of the millenium.
Another was a clause in the contract, signed each time a timesheet was filled in with a small paragraph explaining; Should the Rail Company wish to employ the agency worker directly within 'X' amount of weeks then they were to pay compensation to the agency for each staff member.

Thus to happened to me once I'd inquired why all the Agency staff currently working on track failed to gain permanent employment when the vacancies for Railtrack came up. It wasn't our performance as they(Area Managers) would subsequently request the same people for future agency work.

Status
Not open for further replies.