• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail operative off track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon79

I've recently applied for the Operative off track position at Rhyl. I have passed the online tests and have been emailed saying they will be in contact with me. As I'm already in the process of relocating to North Wales this would be an ideal opportunity. I know it is shift working but what would a typical weeks shifts be? How often are nights and weekend working? Is Sunday working compulsory or optional. Anyone who has worked in this role or has insight any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OZ3001

I've recently applied for the Operative off track position at Rhyl. I have passed the online tests and have been emailed saying they will be in contact with me. As I'm already in the process of relocating to North Wales this would be an ideal opportunity. I know it is shift working but what would a typical weeks shifts be? How often are nights and weekend working? Is Sunday working compulsory or optional. Anyone who has worked in this role or has insight any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I’m a MOM now but used to be on Off-Track years ago.
Still in touch with a few mates on there and I think they work to a 13 week roster. In that 13 weeks you could pick up 8 Saturday nights I think but it just depends what work is on.
It’s really difficult to say with Off-Track because there’s only so much they can do on nights like flailing and level crossing maintenance but the other jobs are usually done on days.
I think you can be rostered Sunday’s but it was very rare when I was on.
I enjoyed it on Off-Track and it set me up for this job.
best of luck.

MT18

When I was off-track before I went to S&T, we worked 2 weeks nights and 2 weeks days. There was scope for a roster change depending what work was planned etc

Pcb1980

Hi MT18.
How is s&t going? I've hopefully got an interview soon.
You on a good rota?

OZ3001

Just go for interview and ask the question.
Working on
That's a brilliant day shift. How often are nights?
It just depends what work is going on.You will do less nights on Off - Track than you would on the Pway.
I will have a chat with some of the lads and see what they get.
Not sure what job you are coming from but just to make you aware that working on the railway you will have to work unsociable hours and weekends.
Some people join and just don’t realise what’s involved.
I started on the railway as a contractor when I was 18. I was needed every Saturday night and if I said no I would be told not to turn up on Monday.
I don’t look back though because i wouldn’t be doing what I am now if I didn’t take the rough with the smooth.

Saxon79

I work shifts now including every other weekend and 2 weeks of nights every 48 weeks

MT18

Hi MT18.
How is s&t going? I've hopefully got an interview soon.
You on a good rota?

Alrighty, it’s going well so far, been booked on a good few courses. So there’s a lot to learn but career wise it’s a good move and there is plenty of overtime available.

Status
Not open for further replies.