• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail plans for Newcastle Central Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When I read your original plan to 'create 3 long platforms' I naturally thought you meant 3 more but I see now one of your 3 would be an extended P2. Is that right?

Nonetheless I still think the width of the new island formed between P2 and the joined P1 and P9 would be a limiting factor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnCarlson

When I read your original plan to 'create 3 long platforms' I naturally thought you meant 3 more but I see now one of your 3 would be an extended P2. Is that right?

Nonetheless I still think the width of the new island formed between P2 and the joined P1 and P9 would be a limiting factor.

Yes that is what I had meant.

Things might be tighter than would be ideal but to my eyes this would be the best fit.

It might be possible to rebuild the area on the south side, the "local" platforms, but this would probably mean the rail connection over the high level bridge would have to be abandoned and the construction work would have to take place on platforms already in use. The joining platforms one and nine option would allow much of the construction work to be done without blocking platforms in use.

I am assuming by the way that longer HS2 trains are going to be running to Newcastle:). All sorts of other issues such as the line over the High Level being taken out of use and redevelopment around the JT Dove premises might have an impact on what happens.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I am assuming by the way that longer HS2 trains are going to be running to Newcastle:).
The classic compatible trains that will run to Newcastle from HS2 are intended to be formed of 200 metre long trainsets: No longer than the current HSTs and 225 sets.

JohnCarlson

The classic compatible trains that will run to Newcastle from HS2 are intended to be formed of 200 metre long trainsets: No longer than the current HSTs and 225 sets.

I could imagine this making sense whan only the London Birmingham section has been built. But when the Leeds line is built if we have all those longer platforms surely it would be better to have longer trains?

John

sprinterguy

Established Member
I could imagine this making sense whan only the London Birmingham section has been built. But when the Leeds line is built if we have all those longer platforms surely it would be better to have longer trains?

John
The concept is that classic-compatible trains will be able to run as 400 metre pairs on HS2, but will then split to run onto the classic network, reducing or negating the need for platform extensions at the classic network stations that will be served by trains off HS2.

Stats

John
Newcastle services are planned to utilise 260m long trainsets. The indicative service specification on which the economic case is based have Newcastle services running non-stop between Darlington/York and London.

JohnCarlson

The concept is that classic-compatible trains will be able to run as 400 metre pairs on HS2, but will then split to run onto the classic network, reducing or negating the need for platform extensions at the classic network stations that will be served by trains off HS2.

Well that makes sense but I would assume that there would be 2 trains ph up to Scotland and this would be a coupled pair. Again another assumption but I would assume a fair bit of growth for services north of Newcastle would be projected.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Newcastle services are planned to utilise 260m long trainsets. The indicative service specification on which the economic case is based have Newcastle services running non-stop between Darlington/York and London.

So the trains would be longer than a 125. I would some will stop at places like Sheffield and Leeds.

John

sprinterguy

Established Member
Do you have a link to a document containing the most recent indicative service specification? The most recent version of the Economic case that I have is from January 2012, and if there is a more recent variant then that would be useful to have.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This was mentioned in a thread a while back of which I can't remember but Network Rail have announced their plans to upgrade Newcastle Central Station.

Page 10 of the April 2013 issue of Modern Railways has half a page devoted to this matter, quoting a figure of some £8.6 million for the project and an artists impression of the glazed portico area with tiled flooring.

Status
Not open for further replies.