• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail pre-recorded interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Hi,

I've been offered a video interview for an Operational Planner role at Network Rail. It says that the questions are pre-recorded. The aim is to "allow the hiring team and your potential coworkers to get to know you better and faster than a basic phone screen would".

What sort of questions should I expect? What type of interview is it?

Thanks,
Felix

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TootTootToot

I had one recently but not for that role. It was questions like “give an example of when...” and “what challenges do you forsee in the role”.

From memory I had 3 questions and 2 mins to respond to each.

I think they are pre screening interview questions but as i understand it they are marked and go towards your overall score if you get to the next interview stage.

Good luck!

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Morning

I've recently done one for Avanti West Coast. It sounds like Network Rail do exactly the same thing.

Mine consisted of a warm up question that you can practice over & over, and then play back your recording to see how well you presented yourself.

Once you are ready, you begin the interview process which consists of 3 x questions - 30 seconds to think of an answer, then 2 minutes to actually present the answer to the camera.

What I found hard was the fact I wasn't engaging with anyone at the other end & it felt like the scenario of when you speak to yourself in the mirror.

I wore a shirt & tie and found a safe time to do the interview when there would be no distractions in the house - I actually turned my mobile off & disconnected the house phone, while the dog was relagated to the garden (it was a sunny day though!).

TootTootToot - was your online interview the one with the brunette woman (I'm sure she was American) doing the introduction and preparation? I'm just wondering if this is a generic online package that more than one company use.

CJ

TootTootToot

Yes it was. I think it must be the same software company they both use. What threw me was that in the practice question she asks the question whereas in the actual “interview” it was a passage of text on the screen.

when I got my NR feedback I’m pretty sure they said the pre recorded questions were marked alongside my next stage interview (with hiring manager) too.

will220498

I had one recently but not for that role. It was questions like “give an example of when...” and “what challenges do you forsee in the role”.

From memory I had 3 questions and 2 mins to respond to each.

I think they are pre screening interview questions but as i understand it they are marked and go towards your overall score if you get to the next interview stage.

Good luck!

Hi there, may I ask if this was for a signalling role? I have one of these pre-recorded interviews coming up and am hoping its in a similar competency-based style. Cheers mate

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Will

I applied for a office based role with Avanti.

I would not like to speculate too much about the questions you would be presented with but I assume from my own experience they are scenario type ones - ''Tell us about an occasion......''

Good luck.

CJ

will220498

Will

I applied for a office based role with Avanti.

I would not like to speculate too much about the questions you would be presented with but I assume from my own experience they are scenario type ones - ''Tell us about an occasion......''

Good luck.

CJ

Thanks for that mate, appreciate it!

Sammy2019

I found the network rail signaller one awkward to be honest. I find it hard not actually talking to someone just didn’t feel natural.

It didnt help that I had prepared for a competency based interview and the three questions were more personal questions. Only one of the questions I actually used the full time to speak.

I don’t feel it went to well, suppose I’ll just have to keep applying.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I found the network rail signaller one awkward to be honest. I find it hard not actually talking to someone just didn’t feel natural.

It didnt help that I had prepared for a competency based interview and the three questions were more personal questions. Only one of the questions I actually used the full time to speak.

I don’t feel it went to well, suppose I’ll just have to keep applying.
Although not a signalling position, this was my experience for the role. The questions were very different to the ones I had expected and prepared for. One can only hope.

will220498

Although not a signalling position, this was my experience for the role. The questions were very different to the ones I had expected and prepared for. One can only hope.
Did the questions give you a situation then ask how you would deal with it or was it more geared towards personal experiences/examples if you don't me asking?

Roger1973

At the possible risk of stating the obvious, something about safety is going to come up in the process, even for office based jobs. It's worth reading up on Network Rail's Safety Vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.