• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network rail reorganisation and job cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

josla1

Following on from today’s email from the RMT comms going out to Network Rail Eastern region regarding reorganisation and job cuts; can anyone shed some light (if there is anyone from the eastern region) as to what these proposed changes and cuts are? As much information as possible is appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Nothing aside from the email yet, it is worrying the union say it’s “out of blue” I mean have they been on Earth the last year ?!
I do worry the union has its expectations a little high when it comes to the potential impact the very real funding cuts we’ll be facing shortly.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I’m hoping stations and operations will not be affected

I suggest it’s likely that ops will be looked at. If I was in charge I’d be having a good hard think about what tangible benefits MIOs, IOs and SIOs bring to the table versus the vast amount of cash spent on them...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I suggest it’s likely that ops will be looked at. If I was in charge I’d be having a good hard think about what tangible benefits MIOs, IOs and SIOs bring to the table versus the vast amount of cash spent on them...

As I’m sure you agree all those grades provide a fantastic return on the salaries paid.....

Worldwide

I was in a meeting with someone the other day and they spoke about technologies that would reduce the amount of people that need to go out on track, I’m not sure if it relates to that.

Long time lurker here.

Nothing has been mentioned to us previously, although it was obvious something like this was likely to happen due to the pandemic and the past 12 months we've faced. You'd like to think they'd offer voluntary redundancies out first and I think it's likely that maintenance staff are the ones who are least likely to be in the firing line (IMO anyway).

Thankfully the area and discipline I'm in is understaffed as it is and relies a lot on overtime to fill the roster, so hopefully I'll be ok as if it's done on service, I'll be the first out the door...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Long time lurker here.

Nothing has been mentioned to us previously, although it was obvious something like this was likely to happen due to the pandemic and the past 12 months we've faced. You'd like to think they'd offer voluntary redundancies out first and I think it's likely that maintenance staff are the ones who are least likely to be in the firing line (IMO anyway).

Thankfully the area and discipline I'm in is understaffed as it is and relies a lot on overtime to fill the roster, so hopefully I'll be ok as if it's done on service, I'll be the first out the door...

I find it bizarre that thought is even being given to making cuts in maintenance and renewal areas, but it’s easy to cut the dirty greasy people out in the cold all day than the sorts who inhabit offices 9 til 5.

carriageline

Established Member
The Eastern region are one of the first to try a new operating model, under “Putting Passengers First” so I’m curious if it’s related to that, as opposed to anything COVID related.

Highlandspring

Established Member
No one can tell me what the "Anglia operating model" actually entails. I'd be interested in finding out more if anyone has any info.

I find it bizarre that thought is even being given to making cuts in maintenance and renewal areas, but it’s easy to cut the dirty greasy people out in the cold all day than the sorts who inhabit offices 9 til 5.
I don't think we'll be going down without a fight, that's for sure.

My area and discipline is around 15% under staffed, and that's purely maintenance and faulting, the amount of overtime we have to do just to fill the roster is quite frankly ridiculous. Like you say, it's silly to cut maintenance, but you never know. You'd think the office staff at these big places like the Quadrant etc. will be the first ones they look at, rather than 'boots on the ground' staff.

Doesn't sound like any other regions have had any communications regarding this, so could possibly be an Eastern route only thing.

Annetts key

Established Member
Nothing aside from the email yet, it is worrying the union say it’s “out of blue” I mean have they been on Earth the last year ?!
I do worry the union has its expectations a little high when it comes to the potential impact the very real funding cuts we’ll be facing shortly.

The RMT are well aware of the general situation with regards both the affect on the railway that COVID-19 Corona virus is having/has had and with respect to the company continuing to investigate ways of reducing the amount of actual maintenance that they consider is needed.

I’m not on Eastern route, so don’t have any details about any specific details for that route.

The RMT are well aware of the general situation with regards both the affect on the railway that COVID-19 Corona virus is having/has had and with respect to the company continuing to investigate ways of reducing the amount of actual maintenance that they consider is needed.

I’m not on Eastern route, so don’t have any details about any specific details for that route.
I've heard the same, 'smarter but fewer jobs'. Possibly looks like they're going to do what they already do on my area, have a team that both faults and does maintenance, rather than having two seperate teams on shift at the same time.

It feels like we don't have enough men (and women) at the minute as it is, it's nuts that they'll cut that down even more, but like I said, other areas might be completely different and have a surplus of staff.

Annetts key

Established Member
I've heard the same, 'smarter but fewer jobs'. Possibly looks like they're going to do what they already do on my area, have a team that both faults and does maintenance, rather than having two seperate teams on shift at the same time.

It feels like we don't have enough men (and women) at the minute as it is, it's nuts that they'll cut that down even more, but like I said, other areas might be completely different and have a surplus of staff.
Network Rail’s thinking is to install equipment that needs less maintenance and to use condition monitoring equipment so that existing or new equipment can have its status checked remotely without staff having to go trackside at the same frequencies that we are used to. This later aim is hard to argue against because staff that are not lineside have zero risk of injury from trackside activities.

Nationally all S&T teams that are part of the maintenance organisation are classed as faulting and maintenance (F&M) teams. It’s only the local management that have other ideas.

Network Rail’s thinking is to install equipment that needs less maintenance and to use condition monitoring equipment so that existing or new equipment can have its status checked remotely without staff having to go trackside at the same frequencies that we are used to. This later aim is hard to argue against because staff that are not lineside have zero risk of injury from trackside activities.

Nationally all S&T teams that are part of the maintenance organisation are classed as faulting and maintenance (F&M) teams. It’s only the local management that have other ideas.
How often would the equipment be checked? At the minute now for most things we do it four times a year, with one of these four being a more thorough service.

Yeah, I know lots of depots in other areas such as London that work like this, they have 1 fault team and 2 MTCE teams, then a team as 'spare' for Pway Ops etc. The budget of those depots must be ridiculous, no wonder they're trying to cut the cloth slightly.

We'll wait and see what the union says, hopefully as many jobs as possible can be saved.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
How often would the equipment be checked? At the minute now for most things we do it four times a year, with one of these four being a more thorough service.

Yeah, I know lots of depots in other areas such as London that work like this, they have 1 fault team and 2 MTCE teams, then a team as 'spare' for Pway Ops etc. The budget of those depots must be ridiculous, no wonder they're trying to cut the cloth slightly.

We'll wait and see what the union says, hopefully as many jobs as possible can be saved.

I think there’s a real danger of a brain drain if VR is offered to the experienced techs, and across the board.

Let’s hope our union is in the ball.....going on past bitter experience I fear for the future.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I think that’s a little naïve. The changes will be everywhere. The RMT tend not to represent office based staff, so wouldn’t necessarily be making comment about them.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think that’s a little naïve. The changes will be everywhere. The RMT tend not to represent office based staff, so wouldn’t necessarily be making comment about them.

TSSA generally rep office or salaried staff yes, although we’ve a few signalling staff in TSSA, also a significant clunk who are not in any union after a dispute which they where left to sink in a few years ago.

carriageline

Established Member
Weren't they calling for a pay rise not so long since ?
They are a union. They are going to chance their hand a little..

When the companies turn around and say “not a chance”, a sign of maturity would be to say “we accept it’s a troubled time, and agree a pay rise isn’t possible” and see what they could do to secure jobs. I would much rather have a job in 5 years time than have a 2% pay rise now. Hell, I would take a pay cut if it secured mine and my colleagues jobs.

Im interested to see how far they chase this pay rise. I can see we have no hope in hell, and if by some miracle we do, that can only spell disaster later on. The company is bringing in no money, so how could they afford a % increase on outgoings. They would want to claw that back somewhere else.

Based on previous years, I don’t hold much hope on the RMT having the same view...

Agree. Too many people are going around saying they “can’t make us redundant, they need us (maintenance, signallers etc)” I wouldn’t be so sure in the current climate.. There are cuts to be made everywhere if you look hard enough.

SignallerJohn

Agree. Too many people are going around saying they “can’t make us redundant, they need us (maintenance, signallers etc)” I wouldn’t be so sure in the current climate.. There are cuts to be made everywhere if you look hard enough.

From what I’ve heard through the jungle drums is that the roc migrations are still going forward....... that is an indicator that they aren’t cutting ops

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
From what I’ve heard through the jungle drums is that the roc migrations are still going forward....... that is an indicator that they aren’t cutting ops

I thought the ROC was dead, in my area we’ve been told officially aside from what’s in the process now there will be no more migration to the ROC.

In fact a PEBBLE is being actively looked at with further life extension to existing panels and SB to allow the mini PEBBLE to be built.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
this is worrying to a new starter :-/

What grade are you in mate?
I personally think there will be a huge number of people who will take VR if offered, so CR won’t be necessary in any grades if indeed if happens at all.

I think you could probably loose a chunk of staff through natural wastage if they wanted to reduce VR or CR payments anyway.

Sidewinder

this is worrying to a new starter :-/
It’s worrying for us all. Although I’m not in the Eastern Region, there’s talk, and I emphasise talk, that the size of the ‘proposed cull’ could be similar to project violet for those who remember that, but less brutal.
Just office hearsay but it’s definitely got our team discussing what may or may not happen. Hopefully cuts are minimal across the board.

Worldwide

It’s worrying for us all. Although I’m not in the Eastern Region, there’s talk, and I emphasise talk, that the size of the ‘proposed cull’ could be similar to project violet for those who remember that, but less brutal.
Just office hearsay but it’s definitely got our team discussing what may or may not happen. Hopefully cuts are minimal across the board.
they could make efficiencies in other ways, with all office staff working from home do they really need the office space, desk phones etc

SignallerJohn

I thought the ROC was dead, in my area we’ve been told officially aside from what’s in the process now there will be no more migration to the ROC.

In fact a PEBBLE is being actively looked at with further life extension to existing panels and SB to allow the mini PEBBLE to be built.
isnt the cross literally closing in the next 2 months to migrate to York?

Dohhhh I actually read your message, and that would explain the part about in the process lol

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
isnt the cross literally closing in the next 2 months to migrate to York?

Dohhhh I actually read your message, and that would explain the part about in the process lol

I think the East Coast South of Peterborough is going into York as work is well advanced.

last I heard Peterborough is staying for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.