Network Rail Response Unit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skyhigh, 30 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

Not quite sure if this is the right place for this, but anyway...

I live near to a railway line and recently saw a NR Response Unit when I walked past. What intrigued me was that next to the door, there was a sticker that said "Danger: overhead live wires". Is this on all the vans? Surely, there are only live wires overhead if the van parks under them?

There might be a good reason for it, but it seems slightly unnecessary to me!

This is a picture (not mine) of the van in question, with the sticker highlighted:

[​IMG]

2. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

Yes it is, and it is to remind those in the vans that when they open the doors to retrieve anything long /ladders, poles etc) that there might be live OLE in the vicinity.

For the sake of a sticker costing 20p or so, seems quite sensible.

3. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

I suppose it does! Thanks

4. westcoaster

westcoaster Established Member

,Sometimes you see the vans reversed right upto the rails, especially if the are unloading heavy objects.

5. DownSouth

DownSouth Established Member

And of course the same logic applies to having them applied to rail vehicles which rarely or even never use routes with overhead lines.

If you have it on all of them, there's no need to make a decision about it each time.

6. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

The nanny state gone sensible, in fact.

7. PaxVobiscum

PaxVobiscum Established Member

And from the look of the front of the van, perhaps there should also be a sticker reminding those in the vans that not all trains have retention tanks. :D

8. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

It does make sense now I think about it, but having a sticker on a mobile object about what might be above it seemed an unusual decision at first.

As a matter of fact, when I saw it it was parked well away from the tracks but underneath a telegraph pole - not the intended wires, but still somewhat useful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.