• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail road vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hello all,

Something I've been pondering on my travels... We railway bods are constantly reminded, instructed and talked at about the importance of being vigilant. With the issue of cable theft one thing that comes up often is to look for people lineside who don't have the correct company markings on PPE or vehicles. In particular, unmarked vehicles should be deemed suspicious, we are told. What is rather surprising then, is to note how often NR seem to pitch up in all manner of self-drive hire vans, bearing an assortment of logos most of which are on vehicles readily available to the public to hire. Indeed there is also the odd ambiguous white van, and every now and then what appears to be somebody's own private car. I'm perplexed as to why NR seem to require a constant stream of hired in vehicles, which must presumably add considerable cost to their operations when looked at as a national whole. One would assume they might simply increase their long-term lease quota. Is their own current fleet of an inadequate size?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Just seems symptomatic of how NR chuck money about with complete abandon! Granted I'm sure they probably get a business rate, but it's got to be more expensive than just increasing the fleet.

Liam

Established Member
I'm perplexed as to why NR seem to require a constant stream of hired in vehicles, which must presumably add considerable cost to their operations when looked at as a national whole. One would assume they might simply increase their long-term lease quota. Is their own current fleet of an inadequate size?!

Many parcel delivery company's have a contract with a local office of van hire company's to get a deal on last minute hire in's to cover a busy day or two. The thinking is that it is better to pay £30-50 for a van or a day rather than £20,000 or so for a van that will sit around most of the time doing nothing. So it's not a huge cost, in fact it probably turns out cheaper in the long run.

I would think that if Network Rail need an extra van on an infrequent basis they would do the same.

Mugby

Established Member
It's down to expediency, it's been going on for decades - way back into BR days.

There's never enough vehicles and when an important job has to be done, say a big weekend job and transport is imperative, it has to be obtained from whoever can supply it.

richw

Veteran Member
A friend formerly worked for network rail, prior to illness forcing early retirement.
He was suppled a white astra van, with no sign writing or any other markings, can see that being suspicious pulling up in a van with no identifying measures on the van. He had the one van continuously for around 2 years

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Most companies will have a core fleet of company vehicles for use most of the time and then higher in extras (at quite a low cost) when ever needed during busy times or when company vehicles might be out of action.

We often get hire cars on weekends if there is not enough vans to go around. Incidentally none of our fleet carry a logo or any kind of writing.

ole man

All the vans are leased, so if one breaks down then they have to have a hire vehicle.The depot's budget will be for be for so many vans.
As for private cars, engineers and management get issued cars as part of there contract, it's only really ground staff that use the vans.
Agree with you that you don't really know who is on the railway anymore, due to privatisation

Ploughman

Established Member
I used to have use of a van for work on the railway as did most of the other Techs and Supervisors in the office.
Even then hired in vehicles to cover for breakdowns or additional worksites or shifts often had to be used.
If possible and 2 of us were on the same shift at the same site then if possible one would be picked up but If I was working say at Hull and someone else from Sheffield was on the same shift no chance of a pick up. To much travel time would reduce site time.

At times, especially when it was more convenient, I have used my own car to get to sites.
Many contractors will often meet up on site in their own cars.

High Dyke

Established Member
Talking of which.

A Network Rail Van was stolen from the Barking area on February 15th. Registration YP11 SRZ. It's a Ford 6 seat crew van. British Transport Police ref 171.

If you do observe this vehicle, please ring BTP

BestWestern

Established Member
Talking of which.

A Network Rail Van was stolen from the Barking area on February 15th. Registration YP11 SRZ. It's a Ford 6 seat crew van. British Transport Police ref 171.

If you do observe this vehicle, please ring BTP

That'll be cable thieves I would imagine, it'll probably have new plates by now and doubtless be used for wrongdoing in another part of the UK somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.