• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail seek former signallers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Presumably, in the interests of fairness, you'll also note anything that "isn't quite right" with the practices of existing signallers?

To deliberately not do that would be irresponsible, right?

Yes! If current signallers are making balls up then it’s needs sorting !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I didn't say I'd discriminate, we don't know who's at the end of the phone.
But I don't feel comfortable knowing that my NR3190 may be dictated to me by someone who's never heard of ESW

Eat shredded wheat ? Personally can’t stand the stuff....

AntoniC

What makes her now fit for duty, if she was medically retired?

She injured her wrist off duty then needed 2 operations to try and fix the problem (which failed) and also reinjured her wrist when back at work when told to do something she shouldn't have been asked to do.
She was off sick for 2 years (approximately) before she was medically retired.
By that point she wanted to go

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Is she responding to the call to return? Sounds like she’s better off without them to be honest, you can’t treat people like rubbish then call them back when it suits.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'd read the comment about Heritage signallers and the thought that came to my mind was gate boxes and lines like Knaresborough to York where there's half a dozen boxes with very heritage equipment (manual tokens etc). I'd not thought any more of it, but does that kind of situation result in a different response?

AntoniC

Is she responding to the call to return? Sounds like she’s better off without them to be honest, you can’t treat people like rubbish then call them back when it suits.
Yes she is.
She has got over what happened to her and wants to help out.

Established Member
I don't know the staffing levels of signal boxes, but I would hope heritage staff would not be left working totally alone. I would hope there would be a supervisor or manager ready to take over if things started to get interesting (for example passing signals at danger, ESW, etc).

Interesting comments here regarding heritage ops, I agree with them mostly. Too many people who did some volunteer work and then come to the mainline consider themselves "already qualified". In my opinion, heritage ops can give a good basic foundation of knowledge and it should not be treated as anything more than that. And I am someone who credits my heritage work as a big factor in getting my first job on the mainline when I was 18.

I do wonder how many people from heritage railways would fail a medical to work on the mainline though - do signallers also need a medical?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In the absence of any of the aforementioned "press releases" the only statement I can see re the heritage sector was this quote which I assume came from a press release:

Even if it was 10-15 years ago, or if you have worked signal boxes on preserved railways, your skills will be invaluable to keep Wales and Western moving.

https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Network-Rail-appeals-for-retired-signallers-to-return/16556

I read that as a call to previous NR signallers who may also have worked in the heritage sector, not heritage sector signallers who have not previously worked for NR.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I don't know the staffing levels of signal boxes, but I would hope heritage staff would not be left working totally alone. I would hope there would be a supervisor or manager ready to take over if things started to get interesting (for example passing signals at danger, ESW, etc).

Interesting comments here regarding heritage ops, I agree with them mostly. Too many people who did some volunteer work and then come to the mainline consider themselves "already qualified". In my opinion, heritage ops can give a good basic foundation of knowledge and it should not be treated as anything more than that. And I am someone who credits my heritage work as a big factor in getting my first job on the mainline when I was 18.

I do wonder how many people from heritage railways would fail a medical to work on the mainline though - do signallers also need a medical?

It won’t happen.

Stigy

Established Member

Interesting comments here regarding heritage ops, I agree with them mostly. Too many people who did some volunteer work and then come to the mainline consider themselves "already qualified"?
Indeed. And it’s not limited to signallers either...

I didn't say I'd discriminate, we don't know who's at the end of the phone.
But I don't feel comfortable knowing that my NR3190 may be dictated to me by someone who's never heard of ESW
I wouldn’t give a sh*t to be fair, it’s all recorded :)

if it’s all confirmed and read back, you’re doing as much as you can to ensure safety.

High Dyke

Established Member

Yes we do; I've just passed my most recent one in the last couple of weeks. There's one before you start employment, and then every 10 years depending on your age. After the age of 45 the medical is every 5 years and then yearly after the age of 60.

High Dyke

Established Member
In the absence of any of the aforementioned "press releases" the only statement I can see re the heritage sector was this quote which I assume came from a press release:
https://www.transport-network.co.uk/Network-Rail-appeals-for-retired-signallers-to-return/16556
I read that as a call to previous NR signallers who may also have worked in the heritage sector, not heritage sector signallers who have not previously worked for NR.
Some internal staff had a circular from the HR Group Director. I mentioned 'some', because it was sent to individuals and not to all front-line staff. There's also this release from the RMT, but it doesn't relate to retired staff, or those from Heritage Railways.
https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/coronavirus-update/

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Any staff brought in to work signalling locations will need some kind of refresh where simulators are provided, which will require co operation from staff.

No co operation, no refresh?

theironroad

Established Member
Any staff brought in to work signalling locations will need some kind of refresh where simulators are provided, which will require co operation from staff.

I'd hope in the spirit of the railways that providing it is a sensible and temporary plan then cooperation would be provided.

BRblue

I'd hope in the spirit of the railways that providing it is a sensible and temporary plan then cooperation would be provided.
I'm sure there will be cooperation but when everyone is being asked to practice social distancing and limitations are in place on who visits the box, is it really that wise to bring extra people into the working environment?

godfreycomplex

Established Member

This isn’t really the attitude in a global crisis. We’ve got people and things with far more crucial positions in society than us to move around, and we’ve got to do everything in our power to make that happen.
That’s not to say nobody will take that attitude, but it isn’t the right one to take.
If staff are brought in who prove to be incompetent no doubt they won’t be allowed to signal trains, but that’s no different to any other time.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I'm sure there will be cooperation but when everyone is being asked to practice social distancing and limitations are in place on who visits the box, is it really that wise to bring extra people into the working environment?

If the only other option would be to close the Box or panel, which would you prefer?

Tomnick

Established Member
I've been out of the grade for four years now and I've responded to the appeal. Normally, I'd say that it would be a completely unacceptable course of action, but these aren't normal times. I hope that things don't become so perilous that they have to call upon those who have responded, but I think it'd be irresponsible if they didn't develop a contingency plan in case staffing levels do reach a level where they're struggling to keep even the most important routes open, because if that happens (with the obvious impact on the supply chain) then we're all in trouble.

I'm surprised that it's extended to anyone with heritage experience alone, but again I guess that it'd be foolish to rule anything out at this stage, and there are definitely some decent candidates - the problem being those who don't know their own limits and think that working a single line heritage box and a bit of Simsig means that they're good to be thrown straight onto the station panel at New Street! I've seen a proposal that suggests three levels of 'contingency signaller', ranging from (IIRC) an 'assistant' in a ROC or a multi-manned panel to someone working a lower-grade box alone. Personally, with a bit of refresher training, I'd be comfortable working any of my former boxes if it came to it, certainly as an alternative to shutting the line altogether.

I understand the union's concerns. They're absolutely right to quietly oppose it. The last thing that anyone wants to see is a long-term contingency workforce created. For now, though, I'd hope that everyone would co-operate to make sure that we can keep the job moving, because we have no idea how bad the situation will be in a couple of weeks.

theironroad

Established Member
I notice that the last two appeals I've seen, one from NR Wessex region and one from NR Scotland do say 'professional signallers'.

NR Scotland also appealing for former control room staff of various disciplines.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I've now registered with Wales and Borders.
Been told that I will have to do a week's online training course and the contract will probably be for 6 months, but have received no details of pay or any documentation.
Also been told that 2 boxes on my old line that can switch out have been lately

BRblue

I've now registered with Wales and Borders.
Been told that I will have to do a week's online training course and the contract will probably be for 6 months, but have received no details of pay or any documentation.
Also been told that 2 boxes on my old line that can switch out have been lately
Welcome back to the grade... albeit temporarily. :D

warrior33

I've been out of the grade for four years now and I've responded to the appeal. Normally, I'd say that it would be a completely unacceptable course of action, but these aren't normal times. I hope that things don't become so perilous that they have to call upon those who have responded, but I think it'd be irresponsible if they didn't develop a contingency plan in case staffing levels do reach a level where they're struggling to keep even the most important routes open, because if that happens (with the obvious impact on the supply chain) then we're all in trouble.

I'm surprised that it's extended to anyone with heritage experience alone, but again I guess that it'd be foolish to rule anything out at this stage, and there are definitely some decent candidates - the problem being those who don't know their own limits and think that working a single line heritage box and a bit of Simsig means that they're good to be thrown straight onto the station panel at New Street! I've seen a proposal that suggests three levels of 'contingency signaller', ranging from (IIRC) an 'assistant' in a ROC or a multi-manned panel to someone working a lower-grade box alone. Personally, with a bit of refresher training, I'd be comfortable working any of my former boxes if it came to it, certainly as an alternative to shutting the line altogether.

I understand the union's concerns. They're absolutely right to quietly oppose it. The last thing that anyone wants to see is a long-term contingency workforce created. For now, though, I'd hope that everyone would co-operate to make sure that we can keep the job moving, because we have no idea how bad the situation will be in a couple of weeks.

I’m exactly the same, been out since 2015/16 but I feel it’s important to do my part. Even though I’ve been out since 15/16 (worked 5 panels at my old box), I went to a route control and then a LOM response (again trained in a workstation for contingent signalling), I now work for a different IM with similar very rules so I have never really left the rules aspects.

As for the panels and workstations I operated, I’d love to give NX a crack again but I am smart enough to put my hand up if I can’t get my head back into the panel/workstation, for me it’s not the rules, it’s the panels and safety of trains, passengers and staff are paramount for me.

So I for one look forward to seeing some of my old colleagues again and giving it one more crack at keeping people moving on an NX before it gets made redundant. After all, best job on the railways was signalling on an NX for me!

LOM

I’m exactly the same, been out since 2015/16 but I feel it’s important to do my part. Even though I’ve been out since 15/16 (worked 5 panels at my old box), I went to a route control and then a LOM response (again trained in a workstation for contingent signalling), I now work for a different IM with similar very rules so I have never really left the rules aspects.

What is a “LOM Response”? I have heard of that role (along with Relief LOM) but it is not something we have in my part of the world. Is it a LOM without any line management responsibilities? Must be a great job if so.

I have recently been having dreams about being back on the panel. I have done some refresher training and am actually looking forward to it in an odd sort of way.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
What is a “LOM Response”? I have heard of that role (along with Relief LOM) but it is not something we have in my part of the world. Is it a LOM without any line management responsibilities? Must be a great job if so.

I have recently been having dreams about being back on the panel. I have done some refresher training and am actually looking forward to it in an odd sort of way.
LOM response = MOMs’ LOM (in areas where MOMs are separate from any signalling structure)
Interesting - most of my dreams are about unicorns flying a fighter jet made of cupcakes and the like, but maybe that’s why I’m not a LOM.
if it comes up for anyone not in the grades at the minute hope you get a chance to enjoy it and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.