• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail staff allegedly smoking at Waterloo after a fire near the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul180

Well I have just realized I have blocked the person who posted this on twitter after looking at it I can't remember why I blocked them in the past but they must be as serial complainer to NR + SWR so I must have got fed up of them so I blocked them.

I would love to know what they do for a living and then go round tagging them online every time they do something I don't like the look of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Seriously............. commuters who have probably been stuck at Waterloo for ages and finally squeeze onto a packed train and see NR sat around doing not very much.......... what do you think their reaction is going to be?

...so what *should* the NR staff have been doing in order that passengers would have no reason to complain?

mpthomson

You will see stories like this in the right wing press everyday - all it takes is for a couple of say police officers to bee seen having a burger or something and its all "Why aren't they out chasing rapists and murderers". Its part of the daily assault by the right on public service workers.

Happens in all the tabloid press, not just the right wing side....

mpthomson

For other laws e.g. alcohol you would be correct - people have I believe been convicted when they were in the pub with car keys in their pocket.

No they haven't, otherwise everyone who decided to leave their car in a pub car park overnight would be breaking the law, and they aren't. What people have been convicted for is sleeping in their cars with their keys in their pocket whilst intoxicated.

Harbornite

Established Member
People should mind their own business. The stuff on Twitter, this thread and some of the replies in it are utterly ridiculous.

Management should not need to make a statement to satisfy a bunch of sneering tossers.

This.

Antman

Established Member
How about they find out the FACTS first?
As has been said numerous times here these workers could have been having their break, they could have been waiting for parts, they could have been waiting for a Line Blockage to be granted. You don't know!

Indeed I don't know but that wasn't the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

"Thank you for your concern and for highlighting that, as a responsible employer, our staff are entitled to and take a proper lunch break both for the benefit of their health and to improve the quality of their work, as an employee who has had proper breaks and chance to eat and drink will always work to a much higher standard than one who has not. Obviously as a safety critical industry you will appreciate why this is of utmost importance".

That should be adequate for a disgruntled commuter (is there any other type) to choke on their sandwich (being eaten at their desk so they impress their manager with their "presenteeism" while browing BBC News and Facebook), and then to put in their pipe and smoke it (if they can drag themselves away from their desk long enough to go outside and do so).

:D

al78

Established Member
The whole thread is basically people moaning about people moaning!

So what? Provocation and retaliation are not the same thing, and should not be judged the same way.

Fredtheshred

"Thank you for your concern and for highlighting that, as a responsible employer, our staff are entitled to and take a proper lunch break both for the benefit of their health and to improve the quality of their work, as an employee who has had proper breaks and chance to eat and drink will always work to a much higher standard than one who has not. Obviously as a safety critical industry you will appreciate why this is of utmost importance".

That should be adequate for a disgruntled commuter (is there any other type) to choke on their sandwich (being eaten at their desk so they impress their manager with their "presenteeism" while browing BBC News and Facebook), and then to put in their pipe and smoke it (if they can drag themselves away from their desk long enough to go outside and do so).

:D

PLEEEEEASE can I have a like button :D:D

Panupreset

Nothing wrong of course with the city worker liquid lunch, 5 pints and a bottle of wine. Then back to the office to make investment decisions on our pension fund.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Reasonable questions are always fair enough in my book. This, in the original tweet, wasn’t presented as a reasonable question!
That is pretty much my feeling about this.

Questions are normal and to be expected, going hysteric and tagging the whole world at any time just says "attention seeking" to me.

Thankfully in my experience most passengers going out of Waterloo are most well behaved and understanding. People like this are a distinct minority.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
What people have been convicted for is sleeping in their cars with their keys in their pocket whilst intoxicated.

A friend of an old girlfriend of mine was arrested for being in charge of her motor whilst under the influence of alcohol. She had no intention of driving anywhere; she had an argument with her other half, and just wanted to get away from him for a bit. She'd had a bit to drink beforehand, and was unlucky enough to be spotted by a passing policeman, who noticed she'd been drinking. I don't know whether she was ultimately convicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.