• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail strike travel information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonteacher

Well I’d say I’m pretty impressed with the number of routes that are currently planned to be open. More than what I was expecting!

Chingy

According to the map, other lines may also be open for freight and engineering traffic, so they must be expecting a reasonable number of signallers and P-Way staff/managers to be available.

One notable absentee in my neck of the woods is the Bristol - Birmingham line. That's a core XC route too, with Cheltenham/Gloucester essentially cut off!

A very "London Centric" looking map.

Fokx

Well I’d say I’m pretty impressed with the number of routes that are currently planned to be open. More than what I was expecting!
It doesn’t guarantee a service however, it’s merely a map of lines with signal boxes expected will be operational.

Lines may be open but might not have a single train service pass

londonteacher

It doesn’t guarantee a service however, it’s merely a map of lines with signal boxes expected will be operational.

Lines may be open but might not have a single train service pass
Yes of course - but the number of routes open is great! At least freight will get through!

Chingy

Yes of course - but the number of routes open is great! At least freight will get through!
Worth noting that all routes are only open from 07:30 - 18:30 so freight will be severely impacted still.

But I do agree that the above map at least gives some options for rescheduling (where possible) and running some freight over the days next week. With the limited operational hours available, there could be some busy freight activity within a small window for the enthusiasts out there!

cambsy

On Moderation
Could services from Plymouth etc, on Cross country, operate via Bristol-Swindon-Foxhall Curve(Didcot)-Oxford-Birmingham, then normal route? I know long way round, and would depend on drivers and conductors, having the required route, on their card. I think the map, looks decent, and a lot better, than i expected, so at least, its not a 100 percent shut down, which really good.

ashkeba

Established Member
Worth noting that all routes are only open from 07:30 - 18:30 so freight will be severely impacted still.

But I do agree that the above map at least gives some options for rescheduling (where possible) and running some freight over the days next week. With the limited operational hours available, there could be some busy freight activity within a small window for the enthusiasts out there!
Two big freight places in East Anglia - Felixstowe and March - are in lines not open. What about other freight places?

cuccir

Established Member
Portsmouth, Aberdeen, Hull, Dundee, Swansea, Bournemouth, Sunderland and Birkenhead/Wirral seem to be the biggest places left without services at all.

Do we know if the stations are indicative of which will be served? EG on the ECML Berwick, Northallerton and Retford (and other smaller stations) aren't marked but Durham, Grantham and Newark are. Should we infer do people think that those marked will be open and those not marked will be closed?

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Does c2c actually experience many shutdowns at all? They've come off relatively unscathed on the map...

More opened than I expected - wouldn't want to be on the Bolton corridor on the strike days though...

Chingy

Two big freight places in East Anglia - Felixstowe and March - are in lines not open. What about other freight places?

The map states that other lines may be open for freight and engineering traffic. I think the map is focused on passenger traffic, as that's what the majority of the traveling public care about.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does c2c actually experience many shutdowns at all? They've come off relatively unscathed on the map...

More opened than I expected - wouldn't want to be on the Bolton corridor on the strike days though...
Bolton will have trains.

VWRO2

Interesting to see that the London map shows Twickenham and Richmond open and served. The SWR map I have just seen shows the only open Metro line to Windsor is doing the Hounslow loop with no service on Mortlake to Whitton section at all.
I wouldn't trust any of those maps to be accurate with what services may be running.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is the map wrong then? Only Manchester-Preston route shown is Chat Moss + Northern have already announced no services in the North West apart from Liverpool - Alderley Edge.
Yes, it's not entirely accurate. The same as how it is missing the Felixstowe branch (although that will not have any passenger services).

Cletus

Established Member
The link to the map is at this link.

py_megapixel

Established Member

philosopher

Established Member
The main thing I notice is how much better served the northern home counties are compared to the southern home counties. South of London only HS1, the Brighton main line and Southwest mainline core routes are operating, whereas north of London, most of the lines are still operational

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Could services from Plymouth etc, on Cross country, operate via Bristol-Swindon-Foxhall Curve(Didcot)-Oxford-Birmingham, then normal route? I know long way round, and would depend on drivers and conductors, having the required route, on their card.
Not really. The principle is that the service should be simple and easy to deliver for a reduced level of staffing. Having trains using the Foxhall Curve or reversing at Didcot adds another level of complexity over running trains separately from Oxford and Bristol to London.

td97

Established Member
Bolton will have trains.
How so? Northern and TPE have released their TTs showing no service at Bolton. The only operator with route knowledge of the Bolton corridor and still to release their TTs is Avanti but they are highly unlikely to serve Bolton.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How so? Northern and TPE have released their TTs showing no service at Bolton. The only operator with route knowledge of the Bolton corridor and still to release their TTs is Avanti but they are highly unlikely to serve Bolton.
Ah, Manchester Oxford Road and Bolton are in there as unadvertised stops. I doubt the services will actually make passenger calls.

westv

Established Member
The main thing I notice is how much better served the northern home counties are compared to the southern home counties. South of London only HS1, the Brighton main line and Southwest mainline core routes are operating, whereas north of London, most of the lines are still operational
Presumably the "service" on the lines highlighted will be very limited though.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I assume that is due to more freight north of London, types of signalling used south of London or a combination of both.

I don't see why they would have a line open and no services running on it. What would likely cause this to be the case? Surely with the limited number of services, there must be enough guards trained on the routes to staff the trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.