• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail strike travel information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A very "London Centric" looking map.

I don't think that should be too much of a surprise, given the signaller layouts (more multi-panel ROCs and boxes) and DOO services (guards on strike). London of course has a larger comparative rail network anyway compared to other parts of the country, so even an equal reduction across the board would have a denser operational map in the capital.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigchris

With the statement that some lines may be open for freight services I suppose there may be a chance that passenger lines closed by the strike (Leicester-Peterborough for example) may still allow for freight to pass if the timings are ok and signallers are in the right places. I'd be very interested to know what the freight companies have in the pipeline, especially if there might be the chance of an altered timetable next week resulting in extra services on running days if they can't run on strike days. Does anybody have any official info on this yet?

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
With the statement that some lines may be open for freight services I suppose there may be a chance that passenger lines closed by the strike (Leicester-Peterborough for examlpe) may still allow for freight to pass if the timings are ok and signallers are in the right places. I'd be very interested to know what the freight companies have in the pipeline, especially if there might be the chance of an altered timetable next week resulting in extra services on running days if they can't run on strike days. Does anybody have any official info on this yet?

Given the complexities I rekon a freight plan is still being worked on.

jfollows

Established Member

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Given the complexities I rekon a freight plan is still being worked on.
Royal Mail have told us that the 13:28 departure from Willesden PRDC (XRN) to Shieldmuir will not run at all next week; the 16:18 will only run on Wednesday and Friday.

The Planner

Veteran Member
With the statement that some lines may be open for freight services I suppose there may be a chance that passenger lines closed by the strike (Leicester-Peterborough for examlpe) may still allow for freight to pass if the timings are ok and signallers are in the right places. I'd be very interested to know what the freight companies have in the pipeline, especially if there might be the chance of an altered timetable next week resulting in extra services on running days if they can't run on strike days. Does anybody have any official info on this yet?
Boxes won't be open on the cross country route.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hopefully it’s corrected in the first post now also, but if we need to change it again then let us know because it’s useful to have it at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks folks. :)

Dr Day

TfW people, who are not on strike.
Going slightly off topic but my understanding was everything North of the main line from Cardiff central plus Cardiff Bay and some of the City Line was owned, maintained and operated by TfW rather than Network Rail. If so why isn't more of the Valleys network operational, particularly as I didn't think TfW guards were on strike? Not that Network Rail have any obligation to show it or otherwise on their map.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Going slightly off topic but my understanding was everything North of the main line from Cardiff central plus Cardiff Bay and some of the City Line was owned, maintained and operated by TfW rather than Network Rail. If so why isn't more of the Valleys network operational, particularly as I didn't think TfW guards were on strike? Not that Network Rail have any obligation to show it or otherwise on their map.

its not so. South of Radyr is controlled by NR signallers in the Wales ROC - Valleys workstation.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Of course there are many lines closed and overall service provision is paltry but there is an irony here that fellow rail workers are doing what they always do best when confronted by a crisis just deal with it the best they can. How sustainable it is will be interesting and its likely leave some latent workforce relationship issues with management if it drags on.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Of course there are many lines closed and overall service provision is paltry but there is an irony here that fellow rail workers are doing what they always do best when confronted by a crisis just deal with it the best they can. How sustainable it is will be interesting and its likely leave some latent workforce relationship issues with management if it drags on.
I'd heard on the radio, LBC, that just a fifth of services will be running. So 80% not running. Of course that isn't the full picture as some routes are getting an increase in service provision and others are getting less or none.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'd heard on the radio, LBC, that just a fifth of services will be running. So 80% not running. Of course that isn't the full picture as some routes are getting an increase in service provision and others are getting less or none.

about half the network is shut, and that which is open is only open for less than half the day. And on the half that is open for about half the day, rarely will there be more than half the service frequency. I don’t know anywhere that is getting an increased service provision.

Chingy

A lot as been published about the passenger alterations next week on strike days but little info about freight.

A quick look on RTT, for Reading for example, shows the amended passenger TT uploaded but all freight (bar one GBRF service) removed;

Similar for various other locations too.

Is freight simply not running on strike days next week or as any plan yet to be uploaded?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A lot as been published about the passenger alterations next week on strike days but little info about freight.

A quick look on RTT, for Reading for example, shows the amended passenger TT uploaded but all freight (bar one GBRF service) removed;

Similar for various other locations too.

Is freight simply not running on strike days next week or as any plan yet to be uploaded?
Quite a lot of freight won't be able to run, owing to the closure of certain key lines (e.g. Ipswich-Nuneaton) as well as the time constraints imposed by the 12 hour opening. But some will run and they will probably get much better paths than normal where they do run!

infobleep

Veteran Member
about half the network is shut, and that which is open is only open for less than half the day. And on the half that is open for about half the day, rarely will there be more than half the service frequency. I don’t know anywhere that is getting an increased service provision.
Esher had 2 trains an hour but it's getting 4 trains an hour as @Brooklands mentioned

I guess they were just referring to the hours train are running.

GB

Established Member
I think we are running 23 less intermodals than we normally would next week. For us that is huge.

Chingy

No Mendip quarry traffic on Tuesday or Thursday next week, with the exception of a round trip to Oxford (isn't much on Saturday anyway, so not affected too much there).

Not the usual amount on the other 3, non strike days either.

Established Member
Any stats released on number of trains running per operator or similar for strike/non strike days yet?

westv

Established Member
Is Kingston upon Hull the largest English city without any service at all on the affected days?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is Kingston upon Hull the largest English city without any service at all on the affected days?
Depends on your definition, as with all such questions!

There will be no trains west of Southampton on the line to Weymouth. The Bournemouth and Poole conurbation has around 500,000 residents.

Liverpool will only see an extremely limited service - a stopper to Alderley Edge via Manchester, and a London service (via Earlestown and Warrington). All other areas of the City Region will go unserved.

westv

Established Member
Depends on your definition, as with all such questions!

There will be no trains west of Southampton on the line to Weymouth. The Bournemouth and Poole conurbation has around 500,000 residents.

Liverpool will only see an extremely limited service - a stopper to Alderley Edge via Manchester, and a London service (via Earlestown and Warrington). All other areas of the City Region will go unserved.
When I say city, I mean city. Bournemouth isn't a city. Also, when I say a service, I mean a service to the centre of that city.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When I say city, I mean city. Bournemouth isn't a city. Also, when I say a service, I mean a service to the centre of that city.
But are you counting population by the boundary of the metropolitan area, or the local authority boundary?

If you are only interested in places that have officially been awarded city status (rather than large towns/conurbations that are functionally equivalent to cities) it's likely to be a tossup between Hull and Stoke, depending on the area you use in your calculations.

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
If you are only interested in places that have officially been awarded city status (rather than large towns/conurbations that are functionally equivalent to cities) it's likely to be a tossup between Hull and Stoke, depending on the area you use in your calculations.
Ok thanks.
Yes, city. Unless it's been awarded city status then it aint no city.

Status
Not open for further replies.