• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Swipe Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark7144

Does anyone know if Network Rail are planning to have an Oyster type card eventually? I hate using paper tickets and I don't see why they shouldn't do it to help people who have to go through Oyster barriers.

I understand in zones 1-6 you can use Oyster but that's no use to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

It's becoming part of the franchise commitments to have an ITSO compatible smart card - the first franchise to be forced into this is the SWT franchise, and is followed by all others after then. I suspect FGW won't be doing anything for quite some time as it involves something called money being spent. ;)

Tom B

Established Member
Help people who have to go through Oyster barriers? How many stations have barriers, let alone Oyster ones?

The money would be better spent on better ticket-issuing facilities.

mark7144

It's becoming part of the franchise commitments to have an ITSO compatible smart card - the first franchise to be forced into this is the SWT franchise, and is followed by all others after then. I suspect FGW won't be doing anything for quite some time as it involves something called money being spent. ;)
So if you have to guess, when would you expect it to be implemented?

Help people who have to go through Oyster barriers? How many stations have barriers, let alone Oyster ones?

The money would be better spent on better ticket-issuing facilities.
What would be better is for Network Rail and Oyster to work together so that people can put Network Rail season tickets on their Oyster. That would be useful for me and any other person who travels frequently in and out of London.

T

Tom

The plan is for the ITSO smart cards to be cross compatible where possible with Oyster - I suspect rather similar to the Tube/Tram interchange at Wimbledon currently where you touch into the tram/tube from the tube/tram in order to register the interchange.

At a total guess, 2015.

W14Fishbourne

Does anyone know if Network Rail are planning to have an Oyster type card eventually? I hate using paper tickets and I don't see why they shouldn't do it to help people who have to go through Oyster barriers.

I understand in zones 1-6 you can use Oyster but that's no use to me.

Network Rail has no plans to introduce smartcards. Network Rail neither sells tickets nor installs or manages gatelines. To see when the newly-franchised TOCs will be introducing ITSO smartcards, scroll down here to see the DfT announcements about the franchise awards.

Whether ITSO smartcards will work Oyster gatelines depends on DfT paying TfL to make its gatelines ITSO-compatible. The DfT will not allow TOCs to extend Oyster outside London, so the TOCs will not be implementing Oyster as such.

djw1981

Established Member
The latest Modern railways Informed Sources has a commentary on the nasty nasty mess that Oyster, DfT, ATOC, Banks, ITSO and their IT suppliers are getting caught up in.

me123

Established Member
Would be a good idea if it happened: helps cut down on paper too. I was on a short train ride this evening (1812 Airdrie - Blairhill) and was shocked at how many tickets were lying on the ground, including an OUT ticket printed at 0621!

My latest brainwave was a small computer thing; you purchase your tickets on it and just show the screen (with the digital ticket on it) to the conductor when needed. You could obviously store loads of tickets on it. Pretty expensive though.

You can see I have too much time on my hands.

Nick W

Established Member
The only way I can see this working unless the fare system is completely changed and first class abolished, is for people to buy tickets in the normal way and then have them stored on the ITSO card.

This would be very interesting if more than one ticket can be used for the journey.

metrocammel

The only way I can see this working unless the fare system is completely changed and first class abolished, is for people to buy tickets in the normal way and then have them stored on the ITSO card.

This would be very interesting if more than one ticket can be used for the journey.

You could a system like in Belgium, where, if you are making several journeys (afaik within two months) you buy a carnet of 10 journeys- for anywhere within the country. These can be either 1st or 2nd class. It works fine in a small country, like Belgium, where the fare structure is very simple, but in the UK, with our ridiculously complex fare structure it couldn't really work- without £m's spent on simplifying it first, at least!

adambro

Metal Cards!!! They can be magnetic too.

Metal? Magnetic? Oyster cards are neither of these, well, there will be a very small amount of metal to be completely accurate but its really just a little chip embedded in plastic.

Tom B

Established Member
What is wrong with normal tickets? They can easily be collected up and sent for recycling.

Tom B

Established Member
Why do tickets need those strips? Apart from a few near London?

Anyway surely you could feed them into a cutter, send the iron oxide bit to the rubbish dump and the paper bits to the recycling place?

me123

Established Member

Scotrail have installed electronic ticket barriers at many station. Glasgow Queen Street, Stirling, Ayr, Dundee, some platforms at Edinburgh Waverley etc.

I presume that the stripe prevents reuse of tickets, and traveling on incorrect routes however I do not know much about this technology.

Again, I can only presume that FSR isn't the only TOC to install these wonderful devices?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyway surely you could feed them into a cutter, send the iron oxide bit to the rubbish dump and the paper bits to the recycling place?

They certaintly compost after being run through the shredder.

W14Fishbourne

I was unaware that Plymouth, Exeter, Bath and Bristol were near London.

Nearer, I suppose than New York, but hardly close by. ;)

Jordy

Established Member
Lincoln has electronic barriers too, and apparently Leeds will have soon!

mark7144

With more electronic barriers being installed, surely rail card replacements will rise significantly as they will get bent and rubbed daily. This is one of the things that really annoy me, I don't want to have to put a bit of paper in a machine every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.