• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Wales unit to offer devolved decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They still operate outside Wales too I guess - assuming the route is aligned with the Wales and Borders franchise area?

anthony263

Established Member
I posted a different link about the same news story here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55168&page=5

It does seem as if the Gowerton re-doubling is going ahead.

I am not sure about some of the new stations people want re-opened, Brackla for an example I know that the main problem that has been stated as its has also when there were calls for a station at St Fagans is that there is not enough time for Maesteg - Cardiff/Cheltenham services to call at Brackla.

However if there is electrification to Swansea then I dont see why a improved swanline service couldnt call at the new station if it is built especially since I have read that emu's would reduce journey times on the swanline services to under 1 hour compared to 1 hour 5 minutes at present.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
They still operate outside Wales too I guess - assuming the route is aligned with the Wales and Borders franchise area?

It will be interesting to Learn where the Cut off points are, it would be crazy in North East Wales , to Have NR Birm on the Salop/Chester to Gobowen,Then NR North West from Rossett, with NR Cardiff in the middle. but that's politics.

Solaris

NR has created a Wales/Borders BU with its own MD - Yes and a good thing. Not the same as devolved rail powers though. Rail infrastructure in Wales remains non-devolved and is the responsibility of the DfT in London on an Enghland/Wales basis.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to Learn where the Cut off points are, it would be crazy in North East Wales , to Have NR Birm on the Salop/Chester to Gobowen,Then NR North West from Rossett, with NR Cardiff in the middle. but that's politics.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/upload...te_Plans/Network Specification 2011 Wales.pdf

The map in the 2011 Wales RUS indicates:

Newport/Cardiff PSB area is "Wales", which includes the whole of the Severn Tunnel up to close to Patchway, and the Gloucester line to east of Lydney, with "Western" beyond.

Chester PSB area is in LNW (extends to Connah's Quay and virtually all the single line to Wrexham).

The Marches line Newport to Wrexham/Crewe is "Wales" with LNW boundaries east of Shrewsbury, west of Crewe Gresty Lane (both as now), and north of Wrexham as above. Also Wrexham-Shotton (LNW beyond).

The "Western" route has the Shelwick Jn-Worcester line, but I think this is intended to move to LNW when they resignal the Worcester area into Saltley.

So quite a good match with Wales & Borders franchise area.
I don't expect much will change in the short term. It's still NR's budget, determined by DfT/ORR.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Thanks LNW, but I reckon this may well change in a few years, I appreciate the Chester power box Controls Wrexham.

You like me will recall the old days Prior to Clwyd CC being formed, the road from Denbigh to Mold, ran into in & out of Flintshire about five times in about 15 miles, you could tell which County you were passing through in Winter, Flintshire gritted the road, Denbigh did not, I would hate to see a similar situation with NR.

Bob

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It hasn't changed! (I live in Denbighshire, within sight of the Flintshire border).
Even the dialect of Welsh is different...

Wrexham SB area is now NR Wales (was LNW) but it currently only extends to the southern tip of the single line to Chester. Might change of course if new loops go in.
Saltney Jn and the first 4 miles is of course in England (and paradoxically Chester City FC's ground is actually in Wales!).

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It hasn't changed! (I live in Denbighshire, within sight of the Flintshire border).

Wrexham SB area is now NR Wales (was LNW) but it currently only extends to the southern tip of the single line to Chester. Might change of course if new loops go in.
Saltney Jn and the first 4 miles is of course in England (and paradoxically Chester City FC's ground is actually in Wales!).

About 10 years back when station refurbishment was discussed and various different pots were allegedly available it was suggested we called Chester Caer on all documents and the SRA wouldn't realise!

merlodlliw

Established Member

Just off railways for a moment,but I live near the Moors Inn,Bwlchgwyn,once called the four crosses, this is where the A525 leaves Denbighshire & goes into Wrexham, the other road is the B5430 where Flintshire meets Wrexham,hence I live on the triangle. one can guarantee, when it snows,you soon know when you have arrived in Denbighshire, Up here we have various Dialects, including the famous Rhos/Jacko.

Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
About 10 years back when station refurbishment was discussed and various different pots were allegedly available it was suggested we called Chester Caer on all documents and the SRA wouldn't realise!

Until they realised Caer(narfon) was closed:)

Bob

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Just off railways for a moment,but I live near the Moors Inn,Bwlchgwyn,once called the four crosses, this is where the A525 leaves Denbighshire & goes into Wrexham, the other road is the B5430 where Flintshire meets Wrexham,hence I live on the triangle. one can guarantee, when it snows,you soon know when you have arrived in Denbighshire, Up here we have various Dialects, including the famous Rhos/Jacko.

Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Until they realised Caer(narfon) was closed:)

Bob

A Welsh only pot was dangled at one time, as Chester was/is so important to Wales it was also thought Cardiff wouldn't realise it was paying for a station in England!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A Welsh only pot was dangled at one time, as Chester was/is so important to Wales it was also thought Cardiff wouldn't realise it was paying for a station in England!

I think most Cestrains know Caer when they see it (increasingly on road signs and buses), but baulk at the Gaer/Nhgaer/Chaer forms you see on timetables.

However, I have yet to come across anybody in Shrewsbury who knows where Amwythig is!

And I have yet to hear anybody in Mold, even the natives, call it Y Wyddgrug.

merlodlliw

Established Member
I think most Cestrains know Caer when they see it (increasingly on road signs and buses), but baulk at the Gaer/Nhgaer/Chaer forms you see on timetables.

However, I have yet to come across anybody in Shrewsbury who knows where Amwythig is!

And I have yet to hear anybody in Mold, even the natives, call it Y Wyddgrug.

True the Welsh mutations send me bleary eyed, so three ways to pronounce
Shrewsbury/Shrowsbury/Amwythig, take your pick. bit of info in this weeks North Wales rail. header is Railway Devolution http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.